“Be ready to be 'Pampered'” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Number One Mansingh Road, New Delhi 110011, India   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 608 Hotels in New Delhi
Mumbai
“Be ready to be 'Pampered'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Although i have usually been critical in most reviews & have spared no one, this property hardly leaves anything for me that doesn't deserve praise.
Taj Mansingh as it is popularly known, is located very close to an underground metro train station as well as the famous Khan Market which is within walking distance of about 5 - 6 mins. So location is definately an advantage.
The security being air tight like a fortress is another plus.

Upon request, i was given a Superior King room with single bed on the 5th floor which had a beautiful & unrestricted view of some historical monuments & lush greenery. I was given a complimentary dessert since i had checked in post dinner. Upon complaining about the freshness of the desert, the F & B Manager was prompt to personally meet me at the room & apologised. Infact they then served me another complimentary dessert the next night which was their super speciality.
To my surprise, i was also provided complimentary packed breakfast upon checkout at 6.30 am so that i could consume the same in my taxi on my way to the airport. They ensured me being a strict vegetarian had nothing going wrong with the packed breakfast in more than sufficient quantity. The quality & taste too was marvelous.

The checkin was not as quick as expected although i had communicated with the hotel staff on phone & email well in advance. The room was rather small as per Taj Group & other premium Delhi hotels standards.
However, do look forward to come back here again in future.

Room Tip: 5th floor & above have the best of view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I like grand hotels and the Taj is such a hotel. One arrives and the whole place has the feel of a well worn item of quality bespoke clothing. Supremely comfortable, well run in and yet timelessly elegant. The service on arrival is very good and well versed, or was when I last arrived. The public areas of the hotel are reasonably grand and the staff very courteous and conscientious. The formal Indian restaurant was good and felt more authentic than much of the Indian buffet cuisine nonsense that is served up at most of the global chains in India and overseas (with apologies for any exceptions and to the experts if I have got this wrong). The grounds are well kept and suitably in keeping with the hotel.

But the rooms..... A disgrace. These must have been renovated 20 years ago. They are functional, clean but not of a standard that is acceptable for the flagship hotel of a major brand in its own capital. I hope this is not representative of the Taj globally but I have experienced exactly the same in Mumbai in the past and this has put me off staying at Taj as a brand. When I compare this to the experience one enjoys at similar "Grand Dames" of Asia such as the Metropol in Hanoi, the Oriental in Bangkok or even the Oberoi at Agra (the latter not strictly comparable), I felt the latter were in a different universe on this not unimportant aspect.

Taj needs to fix this. Otherwise the hotel is good but would not be my first choice in Delhi for this reason.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Taj is Taj, nothing like that in India. Their service is outstanding and you feel really comfortable there. The food there is excellent as well and they care for your well being. I checked in last week for three nights and had a pool-facing 11th floor room. The room was clean and the amenities were all there. The air conditioning was chilling and the new HD LED TV was a pleasure. I would have given an excellent rating, but for the fact that the drain at the faucet was horribly slow. I had failed to alert the hotel crew about it as I was always on a rush in the morning. In fact, I had a similar experience at the Taj in Mumbai as well, and I had said then too that most of the Taj do need something more than a fresh coat of paint. I had food at the restaurant several times, Machchan and also at Varq. Once they served me a dal that had lots and lots of salt, and I couldn't even have a spoon of it. They immediately took that off the bill. At Varq, food is just amazing. They wow you with some fantastic gimmick with some dry ice and stuff like that. YOu got to see it to believe it. Loved it. Nice food, great ambience at Varq.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Taj Mahal Mansingh is just beautiful! the lobby is beautifully decorated and decadent, the service is exceptional from the check-in to the lift assistant and the Butler/Housekeeping staff. The rooms are very modern contemporary, comfortable bed with pillow choice, lovely lounge area and desk. The bathrooms are on the small side but lovely non the less. The view from the hotel room window is stunning, the beauty of the greenery and trees with the Houses of Parliament buildings and India Gate were lovely to wake up to each morning. Varq restaurant is a must! the contemporary Indian food is absolutely delicious and our waiter adjusted some of the menu choice so that we could have a taster of several different dishes. The location of the hotel is great, very close to shopping areas and tourist sights. I look forward to returning to the Taj Mahal Hotel.

Room Tip: we enjoyed the view from our room of the Houses of Parliament buildings, India Gate and Trees and Gr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have stayed in a couple more Taj hotels, and actually the Taj Mahal Hotel New Delhi was a little disappointing. Our main gripe with the hotel is the staff attitude. We understand that working for the Taj group of hotels is cool, but too much attitude is annoying. Staying here is about us, the guests, and not about them!

One of the few locations where we felt that this hotel was about guests being pleased is at the pool. The guys here really tried to make us comfortable, getting us our water, drinks and lunch.

All in all, this is a beautiful hotel and the range of services is really good, but what usually sets the Taj hotels apart from the competition is the staff and how the staff treats the guests. This seems to have gotten lost somehow in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hey i would like to annunciate you guys that tj is the best hotel i ever seen in my whole life. i m just 25 years old and till now i haven't seen this kind of fabulous hotel.
out of box services.
I have booked a room in this hotel in advance and after getting the approval of booking i confirmed bout the checkin dates.We have booked a flight to there and we flew for our destination. After reaching there we have decided to checkin the hotel and then to enjoy the city.
we went to our hotel and then we were surprised to see the beauty of the surrounding.
It was an awesome trip just because of Taj hotel.
Hotel Taj Rocks

Room Tip: Corner rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love Taj Mansingh. long before ricks existed, machan used to be our favorite hangout. I had my first cold coffee at Machan with my parents- My dad met my mom at Machan- it dates back years and has managed retaining its original charm. I love the Ricks, the restaurants esp wasabi, the house of ming. But besides the great food and the ambiance, taj mansingh has the most classic ambiance, their rooms are plusher than the plushest, the service is fabulous. the staff gives you no time to complain-they are always waiting there, ready to resolve. I stayed here recently for a day on work and couldn't be happier. besides the spot on location- right next to khan market, middle of delhi. it has all the right boxes checked.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Taj Mahal Hotel? Share your experiences!