“Great Hotel, beware travel service overcharging” 4 of 5 stars

Taj Mahal Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Number One Mansingh Road, New Delhi 110011, India   |
Ranked #11 of 592 hotels in New Delhi
Bridgewater
“Great Hotel, beware travel service overcharging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Really great hotel, everything worked and was excellent. In line with stellar reputation of this Hotel Group. I have one criticism..... Our flight was cancelled due to weather and we asked the travel desk to arrange a driver to take us to a destination about 4 hours away, it was very quickly and efficiently arranged, no wonder it was 5 times the going rate! Once we talked to our host we realized that we had been had. This is not what one expects from a major hotel.

Room Tip: Check about the going rate for travel services, a car and driver is the norm, since few would be abl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

935 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

I was pick up at the airport which happened to be complimentary. The driver called as we approached the hotel and there was a women there to greet me as soon as I stepped out of the car. She brought me right to my room. The room was wonderful. I wish that before I was taken to the room she would have explained where things were in the hotel. But I did go down and explored on my own and like every other hotel that I had been in on my trip, the lobby was spectacular, but had the same heavy perfume smell.

My first night there I just wanted to relax in my room. I ordered room service and it was the best meal that I had during my week trip to India. I was also able to arrange a driver and guide for the next day even though it was last minute.

The room was clean and the towels weren't grey. I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
South Riding, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Taj Mansingh, New Delhi for 3 days in August 2012 - the service was superb and the rooms were spotlessly clean. The proximity to major tourist locations is unbeatable -it is at walking distance to India Gate. Breakfast at the in house restaurant was v good and they had both Indian and Continental breakfast items. This hotel has a very pleasing decor. The service -right from the bell boys to the lady who checked us in and the restaurant staff was impressive. They have a good security system that checks everyone prior to entering the hotel(using metal detector etc). Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed at the Taj Mahal in Delhi for two nights at the start of our trip to India - it was memorable in so many ways. The service as everyone mentions is first class and at such a high standard, it is now the bar that I use to compare others. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed - the bathrooms are a little dated but it is not a big issue. The restaurants are all fantastic - Varq being the highlight. We had two people in our group having birthdays - so we ended up getting a cake at every meal as well as in the room for no charge. The gym is excellent and again the staff are most attentive. Overall, one word to wrap it up - Excellent!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Recently stayed at the Taj Mahal Hotel and I must say that it was the best service in India. Fantastic location and Wasabi was terrific. The staff is very attentive to all of the guests needs. The only downside was that the pool was being renovated and they were sending guests to the Taj Palace. We were told that it was a heated pool but once at the Taj Palace the pool was at a temperature that wasn't fit for swimming.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the Club Floor if possible. Great way to unwind with a cocktail during happy hour.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel exceeded expectations in all aspects - especially service. I think we paid about $300 a night including breakfast - great value. Location is in the government area of Dehli - security is very tight. They check all cars at the gait and luggage upon check-in.

Check In: Smooth + Efficient up to our room in minutes. Warm greeting from everyone on the way.

Bedroom: Probably about 350 sq. ft - 2 beds and room for a desk, small sitting area. The room has a classic look with darker wood trim, however, the electronics are all updated => lighting, drapes, heat/AC are all controlled from a bedside console. The sheets are comforter were excellent quality. Maid service was really excellent.

Bathroom. Great water pressure and tempurature + super thick towels + ample shampoo, conditioner, soaps etc. Dryer in the drawer by the sink.

Restaurants: We tried the Indian (modern), Japanese and Chinese restaurants - all had fresh, high quality food and great service. Even when we odered only a few options, the chef would always send out extra surprises - many of the dishes were innovative. Breakfast buffet was massive - choices of Indian and American/European foods - you can also order off a menu - whatever you want.

Spa /Gym: Impressive gym/workout area - treadmills, elipticals, weights - the most modern equipment. Had a 90 minute massage at the spa for about $100 - very reasonable compared to NY, LA or European rates and high quality. It had a steam room, hot tub as well.

Concierges: Fantastic service. I had a jacket made by a local tailor (reccomendey by our guide/ not the hotel) and it didn't fit quite right - the Head Concierge (Lakshay Nirule - spelling?) insisted on taking it back to the tailor himself to have corrected - and it wasn't even a store they recommended - really put my mind at ease. Take the concierges' recommendations for shops and restaurants outside the hotel before you venture on your own. The local guides (non-hotel guides) always try to take you to shops/resaurants where they get kickbacks - common in India - but annoying.

Tech Assistance: My I-phone couldn't hook up with the hotel's wifi - the hotel tech guy fixed it in a second - and then gave me free wi-fi for the day because it took a whole 5 mintues to fix.

Hotel Shop: Large selection of Sari's, Artwork, Gifts, Jewelery - at reasonable prices.

Overall: The Taj hotels rock - on par or better than Four Seasons in terms of service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Almost everything about this hotel was perfect. The public areas are beautiful, the rooms very comfortable, and the food excellent. The staff were all friendly, competent and helpful, without overdoing it and becoming obsequious. The food and drinks are expensive, but they are very good quality. The nibbles provided free with drinks in the coffee bar were delicious. We only had one evening meal at the hotel, which was not in one of the standard restaurants, but in the 'club' at the top of the hotel, with a view over the city. We were the only dinner guests there that evening and had a fantastic meal with excellent service - including a fan heater provided when the staff noticed that I was shivering. (We had the misfortune to visit Delhi during the coldest time for 40 years, apparently).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Taj Mahal Hotel? Share your experiences!