“a piece of green gem in the heart of busy New Delhi” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Number One Mansingh Road, New Delhi 110011, India   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 608 Hotels in New Delhi
Stockholm, Sweden
“a piece of green gem in the heart of busy New Delhi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel locates at the diplomatic area of New Delhi which makes it relatively quiet and peaceful, this is a huge contrast with the other part of the city. It is about five minutes walk away from the Indian Gate, easy to reach other major attractions as well. The hotel room is not large but it provides everything you need with high standards. To us, the highlight is the service, the hotel staffs are professional, considerate, and most important, they will put efforts on even the most trivial details. For example, my girlfriend enjoys the fresh roses petals on the wash stand, i like my messy laptop cords carefully sorted and bundled up. I also visited the hotel gym, again not disappointed by the Taj, brand new equipments and professional and helpful staffs. Regarding the food, the breakfast is excellent, fresh fruits, tasty bakery, and the mixture between the local and continental food is perfect. We also had lunch and dinners at their restaurant, the Indian restaurant is fantastic (i had a separate review for Varq), but the Sushi/Wok and the buffet is just ok. In case we have to travel to New Delhi in future, i will definitely stay at Taj again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lahr, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had a Deluxe room with garden view. Everything was fine and clean. Very friendly service all over the place. Breakfast shows a broad variety and is excellent.
We found phoning table neighbors boring, but this is a problem everywhere. Our idea: Maybe introduce silent restaurant areas?!
Internet access (WIFI in room) is very expensive – should definitely be complimentary on this price level! Hotel is located in the government district.

Room Tip: Garden view has a nicer outlook and is most probably quieter
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I loved the service at this property. Special mention to the lift attendant who remembers the floors at which everyone stays without even asking. It's a mystery how he remembers it all! There was once when the lift I was in was almost full and he managed to correctly press the lift buttons for us all in a flash. He's so efficient, it is almost creepy (in a good way)!

When checking in, we did not even had to wait a the counter to check in! The driver informed the hotel in advance of our arrival and a staff escorted us to our rooms right after we arrived at the property and briefed us about what's available.

We tried the food at the Japanese and Indian restaurants- both were amazing. The breakfast spread is huge- must try! Room was extremely comfortable. The housekeeping staff were excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The staff is what makes the Taj a wonderful hotel. I arrived after a 30 hour trip with no luggage, jet lagged and frazzled. The person at reception was on the phone with the airline and the Taj airport rep before I had finished a beer. She harassed those people for two days, even calling on her day off. I got the luggage. And there was my request for a sim card, they even worked on a problem after I checked out, the flowers I ordered, the help with Indian menus and food, and on and on. They made my trip perfect and let me relax from the sensory overload that is India.

Room Tip: A room on the club room floor is a step up from regular rooms and includes admission to the club all...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The location of the hotel is too good which makes it a perfect place to stay in Delhi. It is close to market - Khan Market and must watch places in Delhi - India gate, President House etc. The checkin and the checkout was flawless.The hospitality is top - class.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

As a business traveler, there is hardly very few things to dislike about Taj, Mansingh, Delhi. Overall, though a little dated, it is a very nice hotel which provides its excellent services all the times. Amazing Restaurants will keep on serving you delightful dishes through out the day

What I disliked about the rooms are its decor, dated furniture, worn out carpet. I think the time has come for the Taj Group to take a serious review of one of its trophy assets in India

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Treasure Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

There's a clear difference between being nice and confusing it with excellent service. 95% of the hotels in Dubai, for example fit this description. No so with the Taj. An unbelievably well-trained staff is combined with the traditional bias towards hospitality to make this hotel experience one of the best I've had.

As an example, many hotel restaurants serving breakfast is a mixture of bored staff with tired food amidst sheer chaos. Not at the Taj...no, sir. An attentive waiter noticed that I was trying some spicy Indian food. He smiled and said, "Just wait. I'll be right back." And there my culinary adventure continued for the next ten days. Every day, something unique and pleasing to my palate was prepared.

But what was really amazing wasn't merely that the waiter noticed, but that he communicated the preference not only of the food, where I liked to sit, the fact that I took care of phone calls in the morning, and that I liked really spicy food. And, to take it one step further, his colleagues listened and executed.

One more short anecdote. I travel with my Brompton bicycle (and if you're interested, New Delhi is a great place to cycle in my opinion) and needed batteries for my head lamp. Late one evening, I approached the Concierge desk to ask where I could find a shop that sold batteries. The answer was, "What size and how many? We'll have them sent to your room." Great! Save me a trip.

Like any good morning cyclist, I prepped for it by going to the bar. Of course, the Concierge noticed. Next thing I know, my batteries are hand-delivered to me as I was enjoying a night cap.

And on it goes. The gorgeous doily the housekeeper used for my travel Crucifix; my penchant for French Press coffee (extra coffee showed up); or the fact that my travel toothpaste was almost gone -- yes, a fresh tube magically appeared.

Room service was simply exceptional. I couldn't find the menu -- it was in plain sight, but hey, I'm a guy -- but it didn't matter. The person who took my order listened to what I liked and recommended something not even on the menu (I eventually found it, by the way). Promptly delivered and just as tasty as the Varq, the Indian Fine Dining hotel in the restaurant (which I would highly recommend).

The room itself was spacious, well appointed, and functional, although accessible plugs around the bed would be nice. The bathroom was roomy and the shower water pressure and temperature (very responsive) was excellent. The rooms were mercifully quiet and dark with solid ventilation.

All this was so very impressive. And the level of service never waned for my entire stay. This doesn't even begin to address the great location of the place -- just a quick bike ride to India Gate and other sites -- or the excellent restaurants, or the very capable therapists at the spa, or the invitation to the polo match and high tea.

A delightful experience that indeed has set a very high standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Taj Mahal Hotel? Share your experiences!