“Average for a 4 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi

Save Saved
You added The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi to your Saves list
The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bangla Sahib Road | Connaught Place, New Delhi 110001, India   |
Ranked #59 of 593 hotels in New Delhi
London, United Kingdom
“Average for a 4 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is close to Connaught Place. If you need to be central, this is an average quality, slightly high priced hotel. In Delhi is sensible to be as close as possible to what ever you are doing because the traffic is pretty unbearable.
I stayed in a Club room. Nothing at all memorable about it. The Club room was spartan in the extreme, no little delicacies, but to be fair when I was there it seemed I was the only person staying on the two executive floors. But you pay extra for extra quality or comfort- not found in this hotel.
The breakfast. I was made to wait outside for five minutes on the second day until they could find a table, but you could see spare places! Then asked if I wanted te or coffee but then did not provide anything. This is fairly typical of many Indian hotels- the service is second rate at best. Not a patch on the Taj hotel. The gym is tiny and very limited.
For what you pay there are other hotels worth looking at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
sanzeev, General Manager at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. I am very sorry to note that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us.

We will work hard in the areas mentioned by you and all needful will be done on high priority.

Will look forward to welcome you again at The Met

928 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had 3 nights there. It was my biz trip to India and the 1st one that's why I'm not sure whether the hotel has some problems with its services or everything was quite normal.
I arrived at 6 am and since their check-in hr. is 12.00 I had 2 options: 1) to pay for the half of day more, 2) to wait for 6 hrs. They proposed me much more interesting option: to give me a room at 8.00- free of additional charge. It looked like the best choice and I moved to drink coffee and to use their pay internet for 2 hrs.
So at 8.00 they were ready to check in. However they asked me not only for my passport but also for the card which I used for my online booking. In fact I never experienced such a requirements before ( usually you pay on check- out), but maybe this practice is normal for India. I said that I'd prefer to pay by cash. They said that they need cash just as guarantee and the amount they asked for was on 250 USD higher than amount including all taxes for 3 nights. Again I'm not sure that it was normal however they've got the amount they required as a guarantee. Then I didn't have enough time to value the hotel more than just for having sleeping hours there, however it was little surprising for myself when I found that nobody cleaned my room for the last day . I didn't understand why it was so, however I didn't also have a desire to make it clear since I departed the hotel at deep night and needed to use as much time as I can for sleeping. That's why I decided to check out before my last sleeping at the hotel. However some problem has happened again. A guy on the reception desk wasn't ready to accept rupees and felt more preferences to use my guarantee amount in USD and to return me overpaid 250 USD in rupees as well. However after short discussion he agreed to accept rupees instead and I left him to sleep. Definitely the staff of the hotel is not interested to make a guest's life easier, by my opinion. And one more advice: do not use their tour service to visit Agra for example. It is easier and cheaper to order such a tour by pay internet at the hotel than via the service of the hotel. As a whole it was not problematic to stay at the hotel. Just little unusual.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Let me clarify certain points mentioned by you we take passport from the guest on arrival to scan and send it to FRRO office which is an mandatory requirements of Indian Government. The credit card which you used to reserve your room was asked for verification purpose and in case of credit card payment we do take credit card authorisation on arrival to avoid any inconvenience to guest due to problem in credit card at the time of check out.The government in India licences hotels only to accept payment in foreign currency and return change in local currency. Hotels in India are not authorised to exchange foreign currency per se, like a bank or foreign exchange agent's office would. Regarding cleaning of your room I sincerely apologise and we will be more careful in future.

Will look forward to welcome you again at The Met and we will ensure an much better stay experience for you

Lytham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We chose this Hotel based on its Web site and other comments on Trip Advisor. We had two nights there one at the beginning and one at the end of an 8 day tour. Not wishing to be completely negative the good points first. The rooms are a decent size and the bathrooms likewise,well furnished and well maintained. Acceptable facilities, 3 restaurants, swimming pool and bar. Staff excellent and helpful without exception. Now to the problem areas as I see it. On the first night they had a wedding ceremony so access to pool area and outside snacks out of bounds. On the final night exactly the same situation. To be fair these private parties etc are probably a good money spinner but a top hotel would have alternatives to satisfy both.So if you've had a hard day sightseeing and fancy a swim, could be a problem. They ensure the parties are over by 11.00pm so noise inconvenience is controlled. Food is OK a good breakfast buffet with pretty good variety to satisfy most tastes. The Chutney restaurant was also good and we enjoyed an excellent curry there. The bathrooms do have this see-through problem which can be embarrassing. First night we were on 2nd floor and photos to prove that the privacy is not good. The second night we were on the 4th floor and the translucent glass had been replaced and provided total privacy. To sum up an OK hotel for a couple of nights at most but not a Swanky Hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
sanzeev, General Manager at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback here. We are happy to note that you found our hotel rooms & bathrooms of decent size, well furnished and well maintained, staff excellent & helpful,food at chutney restaurant good. Regarding the non availability of swimming pool in the evening due to banquet party at pool area we apologise the inconvenience.We do have rooms with non transparent bathroom walls so will request you to let us know of your preference for your future visit and will take care.

We will look forward to your return visit to our hotel in the near future and will ensure an much better stay experience for you

With Warm regards

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed for one night en- route to Agra. Good hotel, clean, location is good. Close to Connaught place. Rooms are spacious. Staff is efficient. Breakfast spread is good.
Only drawback is the shower which has a see through glass but on objection it is covered with a bedsheet.
Overall a good place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

"Good place to Stay " Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us and thank you for rating our hotel as good, clean with good location, rooms spacious, breakfast spread good and , staff efficient.

Regarding the see through glass of bathroom wall, we wish to share here that we do have rooms with dark black glasses of bathroom wall also so during your next visit you can tell us of your preference

We at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa,strive to go above and beyond in terms of service and hospiltality and for you to feel compelled to post your experience of this on to Trip Advisor is much appreciated.

Lugano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Perfect location in Connaught place, good rooms, very clean, nice breakfast buffet, people's are friendly and not too oppressive. Rooms are comfortable, LCD TV with international channels, bathroom with huge shower and all top quality amenities.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
sanzeev, General Manager at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

“Very Good Both for Business and Leisure.” Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us and thank you for rating our location as perfect, rooms very good and clean, nice breakfast buffet, staff friendly, bathroom with huge shower and with all international quality amenities.

We at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa, the winner of Best Hotel India 2012-13 award from International Hotel awards asia pacific and Luxury City Hotel 2012 award from World Luxury Hotel awards, Certificate of Excellence for the year of 2012 from Trip Advisor, strive to go above and beyond in terms of service and hospiltality and for you to feel compelled to post your experience of this on to Trip Advisor is much appreciated.

devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed here as part of our package for 4 nights on 3 occasions we were going through Delhi.
No complaints about the hotel at all.We found staff helpful and courteous.We had a different room each time.We thought the rooms were a very good size,clean and comfortable.Good large shower room and toilet,best range of shower products on our tour tour.
We ate both in the buffet and cafe reataurants and Chutney,the A.La Carte.Thought the food was good and the range in the buffet as good if not better than other hotels we stayed.As mentioned the taxes are high and do add about a third to the bill but I am told taxes are high in Delhi anyway.Breakfast was a good range and there is the usual egg station for fresh made choices.
The hotel does cater for weddings and functions and these can be a bit noisy outside but so what,it doesn't go on all night.Diwalli was imminent and fireworks can be heard,but so can Christmas revelry,elsewhere.
Can't comment on other eating places as we were content to eat in the hotel after a busy schedule and did not want to have to experience further Delhi traffic.The only poor bit of service was that our early morning breakfast pack was not available despite ordering the night before but a helpful staff member got us some packets of biscuits from the lounge cafe.
The expected tipping of porter staff no more than other hotels.
Agree with other comments re WIFI but some other hotels were no different.It should be a free service in this day.Hotel management take note when you read these comments,The bussiness centre did not charge us for checking in on line

Room Tip: The back rooms overlook pool area,front rooms the road but not over noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

“A good place to Stay.” Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us and thank you for rating our staff as helpful & courteous,rooms spacious, clean comfortable with good and large shower room & toilet etc.

Regarding free wifi, we do offer free wifi to our returning customers at our website under repeat customer package so will request you to book us for your future stay from our website under this package

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Metropolitan Hotel and Spa Hotel is conveniently situated in a quite area not too far from the City Centre. Rooms are small with no good view from the window. No decent cereals for breakfast. Coffee is like muddy water. Hot Water in the shower room was muddy and stopped flowing with shampoo still in my head.....No water for 5-10 mins and variable pressure. Expensive internet for the total price paid for the room. Difficutl to enter into the bath for shower... You need a stool or a bench to get into...Too high and narrow entrance. High add-on charges (taxes etc).

Room Tip: Stay only if you arrive late at night and leave early and do not wish to use services. Have a shower...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We will work hard in the areas mentioned by you and the needful will be done on highest priority.

Will look forward to welcome you again at The Met

Sanzeev Bhatia

Been to The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi? Share your experiences!