“Good security” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 593 hotels in New Delhi
Clinton, Canada
“Good security”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I staid at The Maurya hotel for three nights, the purpose for being in New Delhi was two fold, to visit with a software company plus be a tourist for two days.

The lobby area of the hotel is of course very impressive with marble floors that are typical throughout the hotel, be careful if walking in leather soled shoes!
The bedroom was first class, large (Maurya Chamber), beautifully appointed with a lovely colour scheme. The bed was very comfortable; that, together with the pillows of my choice and the quietness of the room resulted in my having the best sleep(s) I have ever had in a hotel room. The chamber man who took care of the room did an exemplary job.
I ate in three of the restaurants; “The Pavilion” is what you would expect of a five star hotel, likewise for the service. “The Bukhara” and “The Grill Room” were both a disappointment for me however.
“The Bukhara” is more a matter of ones taste in terms of food and ambiance so I will not make further comment, the “Grill Room” however demonstrated very poor service and the food way below par.
I was feeling hungry so arrived at the Grill Room restaurant, right on time at 7:00PM, only to be told to come back in about half an hour when they would be ready. This I did and was taken to a table where I sat for 20 minutes before realizing I was supposed to help myself at a buffet and pick the meat that I wanted for the main course. I had no idea of the procedure for this restaurant so it would have been nice if someone had taken the time to explain to me, when I was seated at my table, as to what to do.
After I had helped myself at the buffet, and chose the meat to go with the main course, it was necessary to call a waitress over to order a glass of wine.
The chef came over soon after and asked if I would like to have the meat I chose grilled, I said yes. I was not asked how I would like the meat cooked, I like my meat to be cooked medium, to my surprise the meal was brought to me without my ever being asked how I would like it to be cooked! The presentation of the dish did not look appetizing.
Overall, the Grill Room was not a good dining experience, a pity since the décor of the restaurant is very nice indeed.
The Dublin Pub seemed kind of dingy to me and after a walk through I decided not to stay, I did this for two nights in a row – same impression, very few people use the Dublin Pub!
If you were in the market for a nice suit or Mont Blanc pen set, then the “Shopping Arcade” may be of interest to you, I would have settled for a humble shop that sold news magazines and sundry items.
If you are in New Delhi strictly on business with security being paramount then the Maurya hotel may be a good choice for you; if you want to mix pleasure with business I would look for a place less pretentious and closer to other activities.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

1,200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

We took a trip to New Delhi in January, and stayed at this great hotel. Arriving at 3 a.m from Abu Dhabi, we could not check in. This is, of course, no problem as no hotel would without charging us for a night. We checked in one of our rooms, just so we could sleep. The lobby is very elegant, and remained uncrowded for 3 days. The bellhops are very attentive and take your bags immediatley. Our towers executive suite we found was quite small. After a snooze, we decided to upgrade to the larger room, which we guess is the Mauryan Chamber. We originally went to the Towers club for breakfast. This is one of two things that I did not like about this hotel. The Towers is extremely stuffy, and not really suited for anything. We left and went down to the Pavilion for our breakfast.

The Pavilion is a fantastic buffet restaurant that also has à la carte. They will also make you a packed lunch if you are going on a day trip. We unfortunately did not have the chance to go to the revered Bukhara, mainly because we found it too overpriced. Instead we went to the hotel's other Indian restaurant, Dum Pukht, which is a very unfortunate name. It was elegant with out being stuffy. We had the best naan bread there.

The club in the ITC One is the best 'club' the hotel has to offer, as the other one, Dublin, is more of a bar than a club. This brings me to my last gripe about the hotel. There is no free Wi-Fi anywhere. In the room, fine, even though we are paying a lot for the room. No free Wi-Fi in the restaurants, okay. In the executive clubs, it is unacceptable.

The room is very large, and I shared it with another person. The bathroom has motion-activated lights, the TV has english channels and the TV mutes when you pick up the phone. Besides the internet, the only other problem is that we experienced a few power outages in the room, though that could be par for the course in New Delhi. At night, they even lay out 'sleep things', like an eyemask and oils for your sleeping pleasure.

The hotel arranged all of our tours to Agra and Jaipur. Book through the concierge, as the Travel Desk staff is indifferent and generally depressed. The hotel's location is great, near India Gate and Chandi Chowk market. The exterior of the hotel looks a little out dated, and there is a large CIA-esque satellite between the towers and the main hotel.

The hotel is one of the best I have stayed in, and I can see why the

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
ITCMauryaNewDelhi, Manager at ITC Maurya New Delhi, responded to this review, January 15, 2011
Dear Valued Reviewer,

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us on the Tripadvisor.
Our entire team at the Maurya is completely overwhelmed with your gracious compliments and extremely inspiring feedback.

We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to hosting you at the Maurya, and anxiously await your return visits.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

My stay at the ITC Maurya was fantastic, with the hotel excelling at everything it did. As a Starwood Gold member, I was escorted from the busy main lobby to a quieter area where my check-in proceeded smoothly. The room was beautiful and wonderfully clean. The service from everyone I encountered in the hotel was gracious and efficient. One example: I left a small item in the room upon checkout. While I was standing outside waiting for my car to the airport, an employee approached me with my item in a bag, telling me that I had forgotten something in my room. That amazed me.

After two weeks touring India at a steady pace, the ITC Maurya was a wonderful place to relax and refresh.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

This is a pretty good hotel. Location is pretty central - access to all parts of city virtue of being in the middle. No metro stations though, so you'll have to cab it - easily 20+ minutes to CP or Hauz Khas; 25+ minutes to gurgaon, etc.

The lobby is huge and a zoo. Because of winter season, there is always a wedding function or their retaurants are packed with locals. So if its a serene, quiet ambience you're looking for, this ain't it. This is a business hotel. Its got great restaurants - buffet breakfast again a zoo, but very high quality. Gym is functional, spa smelt good (I didn't try it).

I had a great 3 day stay, but when I checked out, I felt a little fleeced - Internet charges were added even though I'm a Platinum SPG member - I complained, there was back and forth - managers had to be involved because front desk just can't make any executive decisions - finally got sorted. Then, I find out that I have to pay taxes (VAT) not on my contracted rate, but on the RACK rate; Furthermore, I have to pay taxes on a Rack rate for an upgraded room (I'm platinum - I always get upgraded). I thought this was sneaky, cheap and completely unprofessional. I couldn't be fussed disucssing this with the incompetent front desk chek-out cartoons - it would've been too much brain damage.

Wisen up, ITC. Come join the international hospitality sector in the 21st century.

What a marvellous stay ruined by twits.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ITCMauryaNewDelhi, Manager at ITC Maurya New Delhi, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
Dear Valued Reviewer

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us on the Tripadvisor.

We have taken careful note of your comments on the service and we apologies for the discomfort you experienced.

As per our Platinum program we offer two complimentary internet tiers to our guests, however if they wish to use the further enhanced speed tier, we offer them with the applicable charges. This is mentioned in a letter given to all our SPG Platinum guests on arrival.

The Taxes are applicable as per the State Government Law, on the rack tariff of the category used by the guest. Whether the booking is done through the starlink or the Hotel, the reservation informs that the taxes will be applicable on the rack rates. A notification that the tax will be charged on the rack rates is also displayed at the reception counter. The room key card insert mentions the applicable taxes per night also.

We sincerely apologies if any wrong expectations were set during your recent stay at the hotel and we will make sure that all such details are well communicated to the guests in a more efficient manner.

We truly value your patronage, and would request you to give us an opportunity to excel.

Warm Regards
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

ITC Maurya is a very warm and comfortable hotel. The ambience, staff and overall hospitality is unmatched. The Food at Bukhara is outstanding, though overpriced.
Very popular amongst foreigners.

The room amenities are great and it makes u very comfortable.,

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
ITCMauryaNewDelhi, Manager at ITC Maurya New Delhi, responded to this review, January 3, 2011

klasf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Our stay at the ITC Maurya was wonderful, and we will definitely return. The airport transfer was flawless, the driver waited inside the airport holding a sign with our names and patiently waited for us as we used the ATM. We got upgraded to a tower room which was clean, modern and comfortable. We didn’t have any noise problems like some other reviewers. The hotel was very modern, more like the Westin brand you’d find in the US. We had a king bed, flat screen TV, rain shower, soaking tub, electric kettle, French press and plates and cutlery. The hotel also provides complimentary water (if you need more at no cost, just ring the maid service). Every morning we enjoyed a complimentary breakfast - made to order omelets, French toast or pancakes and buffet of fruit, cereal, and pastries. They also have a complementary happy hour with light snacks from 5-7 which we unfortunately didn't realize until the last evening.

We used their travel desk frequently for 2 airport transfers and 2 x 4 hour drivers. We noticed that drivers here were almost twice as much as those in other ITCs, maybe it's because New Delhi's a "big" city? Our first driver was just ok - he took us to a bootleg Cottage Industries, which we didn't realize until later in the trip. He complained about his tip, which we considered very generous. He also refused to take us to Safdarjing's tomb because it was getting too late, even though we told him we'd pay for the additional time. The second driver we had was much better. Our last night we ate dinner at Bukhara, which was a great way to end the trip. Ask for the Bill Clinton special :-)

I think a special thank you goes to Ashnok - he provided amazing service and attention to detail. Next time we will make sure to look out for him!

One down side of the hotel is that it's pretty out of the way in the Diplomatic Enclave. If you're set on staying at a Starwood, the Le Meridien is much more central (near India Gate).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
ITCMauryaNewDelhi, Manager at ITC Maurya New Delhi, responded to this review, December 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

This was a truly great hotel. Fantastic restaurant and lovely rooms.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

ITC Maurya

Been to ITC Maurya New Delhi? Share your experiences!