“Wonderful historic hotel where you will be taken care of” 4 of 5 stars

The Imperial Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Janpath, New Delhi 110001, India   |
Ranked #4 of 608 Hotels in New Delhi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful historic hotel where you will be taken care of”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The staff was exceptionally accomodating, the rooms and common spaces were top notch, the food in the restaurants was consistently good, the bufffet breakfast that came with our room was bountiful and very tasty - what more could you ask? We did not try the spa but explored every other aspect of this grand old hotel. It was a wonderful base for six days of exploring New Delhi.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to note that you had a delightful stay with us. Your kind words of appreciation for the hotel services & staff is a great motivation for the team.

Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We have stayed at the Imperial a number of times but this time we came with two of our children (aged 7 and 9) and yet again were delighted with our experience. The hotel has managed to retain the impressive historical connections and wonderful feel of being immersed in a Art Deco/Colonial space while at the same time providing all the comforts and conveniences that one would expect from a world class hotel.
The service is excellent, this time when we arrived the children were presented with wrapped gifts of board games (a practical choice!) and one of the reception staff took a photo of us which they then e-mailed straight through.
Despite the 43 degree heat outside and Delhi's smoggy air, inside it was blissfully cool, fresh and pleasantly perfumed, every surface sparkling clean in stark contrast to the endless dust outside. The pool is magnificent and meant we were reluctant to go anywhere else in Delhi.
Finally my husband and I both had a massage in the spa which is a beautiful underground oasis. This was the ideal solution to ease our jet lag and travel weary bodies.
It is safe to say that we will be coming back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Imperial is an excellent hotel, the service level is outstanding, breakfast is excellent, the rooms are very comfortable and perfectly clean (little details like the plastic zip bag to put away dirty clothes is a great touch).

The pool is big and very comfortable, great selection of drinks and food to have in the pool, so after a long day in the heat of Delhi you will just enjoy relaxing.

While we did not eat in the restaurants, the settings of the Spice Route and the Indian Restaurant are amazing, they are worth eating there just to enjoying being in such nice surroundings.

For any length of stay in Delhi you will not get it wrong with this hotel, there might be others even better, but there is no need.

Room Tip: My only concern is that I had a very small a window in my room, so a bit dark, but I guess it depend...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to note that you had a delightful stay with us. Your kind words of appreciation will be a great motivation for the team.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

like the Daniels it houses -- an outstanding collection. There is nothing out of place in The Imperial Hotel, and it is truly a colonial gem, meticulously maintained. It is quiet as a dream, and the service soft spoken. The restaurants are cordon bleu and the rooms luxurious, down to their polished wooden doors and brass keyholes. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Their Irish Coffee is stellar stuff too.

Monisha Pinto
JetPrivilege Number 100243931

Room Tip: Just request one and you will get it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014

Hyderabad, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I just checked into this hotel today, i.e,, on 01 June 2014. This hotel arranged for airport transfer; the vehicle was in quite good condition. As soon as I arrived at the hotel, hotel staff greeted and took me straight to the room. They asked for my credit card details and told them I prefer to pay using my debit card; then after some deliberations, they wanted the rent in advance. They took me down to the reception, where I made an advance payment of total rent for 2 days; as they insisted on full advance payment or credit card.

Some time later, while I was in the room, hotel staff called me and asked me for my credit card details. I told them that I had paid full rent in advance. After a while, they came back again and said that there is no evidence of my payment and I better give them my credit card. when I retorted that I had paid full rent in advance, they directed me to come down to the reception and prove the same.

After my protests at this insult, one Mr. Babar Khan comes to my room and tells that their systems are inefficient and would not reflect the transactions. He adds that their staff are not trained and that is the reason they are argumentative, discourteous and insultive.

I stayed in this hotel a few times before and had similar and worse colonial nauseating experiences...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dr. Raja,

I read your feedback with immense discomfort and sincerely empathize with your feelings. I extend my deepest apologies on behalf of my team to have made you feel uncomfortable and our Front office Manager Babar did try to express his regret in person yesterday.

On reading your feedback I also realized that the reasoning put forward was misunderstood which apparently made you understand that my team is not up to its par. However, Babar intended to share that it was our operating system that was not updated (owing to communication delay) which made the team understand that your payment has not been received.

I assure you that this incident does not stand ignored and it shall be a learning aspect for my team. I also assure it shall not be repeated with any of our guests in future and I thank you for highlighting your concern and feelings.

I shall be truly thankful if you could have this incident not overshadow your decision to grant us with another opportunity to serve you. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back home.

Warmest regards,

Putrajaya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Arriving at The Imperial after a long flight is like drinking some water after a long time in the desert. The welcome and the follow-up service was exceptional. The facilities were excellent and the quality of the breakfast was very good. I liked the mixture of Indian and European food. I only regret that I did not stay long enough to sample all the food. You certainly get what you pay for at this hotel, and more.

Room Tip: If you are female and single, there is a special section of rooms for ladies.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I have enjoyed thoroughly Every moment of my stay. Excellent food and service. Their speciality restaurant is too good. Enjoyed every moment. Luxurious rooms with best amenities.thank you for my memorable stay.

• Stayed June 2013

Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!