“Terrible service and attitude from staff” 1 of 5 stars

The Imperial Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Janpath, New Delhi 110001, India   |
Ranked #5 of 592 hotels in New Delhi
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible service and attitude from staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights. Whilst the location and buildings are impressive, the service was terrible. I had an accident in the room due to a poorly fitted toilet - needed hospital treatment. Rather than help, the management denied any responsibility and charged my card for the damage. They have since failed to return calls or emails. Totally disgraceful behaviour.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
VWanchoo, Sr. Executive VP & GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Greetings from The Imperial!
I have noted your feedback regarding your room experience and deeply regret the inconvenience caused. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience. As a standard we charged you for the damage in the room which was done intentionally as acknowledged by you. However, as a special gesture, we waived off 50% charges of the same, which is a loss to us. I’d also like to clarify that the hotel staff did offer doctor’s assistance which was denied.
May I request you for more specific details regarding the employee who hasn’t returned your calls and emails, so that I can look into the same. You may write to me at vwanchoo@theimperialindia.com and I shall be happy to assist you further. I do hope you will treat it as an isolated experience and not hold any unpleasant memory in your mind.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.
Regards,

Sr. Executive Vice President & General Manager

1,588 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed two nights in the imperial. We arrived at 6am and they organised us an early check in.

The service was fantastic- there was staff on hand through out the hotel to provide advice etc. it seemed to be mainly business men within the hotel.

There is a lovely pool although too cold to swim in whilst we were there. The hotel is very central therefore the pool area is noisy. You can't hear the noise from your rooms though.

We had a SPA treatment whilst we were there. We opted for a traditional Indian head and body massage (they pour warm oil on your temple- your third eye- this was amazing and I would thoroughly recommend) prior to the massage you get to use the spa facilities which is a sauna steam room and whirlpool. What we were told was that the men's and women's were separate so we ended up separating during this time which was a shame.

We had dinner in the spice lounge we had Thai- it's very expensive but nice food. The cost is comparative to a very up market restaurant in UK.

We had breakfast and lunch from the buffet which was great.

When you come from the UK to dehli it is lovely to stay in such a clean beautiful hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

If you like your tea and your history then this should definitely be on your list. We had morning tea, which was excellent and then had a wander round the opulent corridors, which provided more interest than many of the paying museums in the city

• Stayed October 2013
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We came to Delhi to visit our daughter. We stayed at the Imperial for a total of 8 nights at great expense. Our daughter and some friends visited us on our last day for a swim. They were not allowed to use the pool even though it was empty and my husband and I were guests. We offered to pay an additional fee but were told no.
Very expensive ( wifi $25 for 24 hrs) slow service and an overall feeling of disappointment.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Greetings from The Imperial!

I would like to thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Delhi. We have noted your dissatisfaction with a sense of regret and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

As a standard we do not allow nonresident guests to use the pool & spa facilities. This rule has been made to ensure the safety and privacy of our resident guests even though we suffer loss of revenue due to the policy.

We, at The Imperial always strive to ensure our patrons experience the best visit possible during their travel and we are deeply troubled that this issue has caused so much distress to you, our valued guest. We do hope that you understand that such policies are made and stood by only for the comfort for our resident guests and the intention is not to cause any inconvenience.

I do hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards,
Sr. Executive Vice President & General manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Have stayed here three times and just cannot wait to stay here again. It's got style, serenity and service. The rooms are large, comfortable and beautifully appointed. It's a little island of peace in the middle of the bustle of a large city. favourite spots in the hotel - the bar (of course), the sunny breakfast restaurant with a huge range of food, the gym (I even did a yoga class) and the pool and bar - great to cool off amongst the gardens but hear the traffic beyond the walls.
Can't say enough about the staff - they jump to help you without being cloying and are proud to work there.
It's a little bubble of perfectness

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

In terms of the public areas, I don't think I've stayed in a more stunning hotel: it's clean, opulent and fascinating. The outdoor pool is wonderful and the restaurants, though not cheap, we're excellent if erring on the side of patronising blandness.

But, this is an expensive hotel: not just for India but as a hotel in general. The entry level rates get you a pretty bland room with little sense of heritage, wifi is extortionate (I never understood why budget hotels provide it for free, and luxury hotels feel like they can charge the earth) and the service is a little on the surly/officious side, rather than a friendly but professional approach, particularly at the front desk, which others have also commented on.

It's absolutely worth seeing, but if I spent a week in Delhi, I'd probably stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. EVP & GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Imperial!

I thank you for your wonderful feedback about our stunning property, pool and restaurants; and I am glad that you had a great time staying with us. However, I have noted your disappointment with the prices of the outlets. I’d like to assure you that our prices are at par with all similar level hotels and we strongly believe in providing complete value to all our customers for what they pay.
I am also surprised to note that you received an impression of our staff being unfriendly while you did appreciate their professionalism. I assure you that our guest’s comfort is our priority and we do not hesitate to go over & above, just to ensure that our guests have a smooth stay.
I’d also like to mention that we do have room packages that include internet as a part of the rate. Please feel free to contact me directly for the same at vwanchoo@theimperialindia.com and I shall be happy to assist you.
I hope you will return soon and accord us another opportunity to serve you.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,

Sr. Executive Vice President & General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is the best hotel I have stayed in bar none. The room was enormous - king sized bed, couch with chairs, massive TV. Pure luxury. We ate at 1911, one of the restaurants for lunch, and I could have easily had several courses there. The pool area is stunning, with a fountain and spa pool within the very large confines. The staff were extremely helpful, above any sort of service you can get in Europe.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!