“Beautiful historic hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 593 hotels in New Delhi
Calgary
“Beautiful historic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Having come from the Marina Sands in Signapore, you could not get a different ambience in a luxury hotel. From all the historic artwork, to the very personalized service at the front desk, this hotel made it an experience to remember. The buffet breakfast was very good. As we were there in the middle of a heatwave, the pool was a welcome respite from the heat. The Imperial is not a centrally located as some other hotels so if you want to get out to eat or see other sites, you should plan on taking a taxi.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

1,566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Polish first
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our stay at Imperial was for the most part good, rather than outstanding. The rooms were alright. They charge a bomb for wifi, which I believe is a terrible practise followed by some of the top hotels throughout India. The breakfast buffet spread is pretty lavish, however that is pretty much the same through all the hotels in India too. The front office staff are not very cordial and cheerful and the girl escorting us to the room didnt exactly look overjoyed at doing her job. That said the service at the resturaunts were reasonable and we were well looked after. The spice route resturaunt was pretty nicely done up and served good food. All in all, I wont remember anything about this stay a month from now and would look forward to other hotels on my next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec VP & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am glad to note that you were happy with our food, service & ambience. However, I am disheartened to note that you received an impression that one of our staff seemed disinterested in doing her job. I’d like to assure you that each and every member of our team is highly motivated & guest oriented and do not hesitate in going out of the way for ensuring guest satisfaction. I am surprised & disappointed to note that you received an impression otherwise and deeply regret the inconvenience caused. We believe in offering a wonderful experience to all our guests and do not wish to inconvenience them in any manner. We hope that you will not let this isolated incident influence your perception of The Imperial & accord us another opportunity to serve you. I have also noticed that you are disappointed with the wifi charges. I would like to share that we have various room packages which include internet as a part of the room rate. Please feel free to drop me a mail at vwanchoo@theimperialindia.com prior to your next visit so that we may offer you the same.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

storrington, west sussex, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Lovely old world hotel - 1930s art deco - staff lovely - fresh flowers everywhere and the Spice Route restaurant was an unique experience xx rooms were large and comfortable - had a great nights sleep

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

I'm not going to complain about the hotel, especially as we visited in low season on a very discounted deal but I have stayed in some of the better hotels in Delhi and Gurgaon and the imperial needs to start running if it's going to catch up
The hotels public areas are all very impressive and I'd particularly recommend taking tea or coffee in the atrium. The main bar has been fitted with big screens which for me is a big mistake when this place relies on it's heritage for a mark of it's quality. The pampering spa areas are outstanding (if a little pricey)
The hotel may have been part of the original city plan but that was perhaps when Connought Place was a little more up-market. These days the area is patrolled by touts and pushy vendors - not the easiest place to escape from on foot
So in summary - if style is important and names mean something to you then the Imperial is too notch.
If however you want to dip you feet in real Delhi then this place doesn't give you much opportunity.
Rooms are very good rather than outstanding. Restaurants are very high quality and are priced to match.
The breakfast is outstanding. All staff and chefs will go out of their way to prepare whatever you want. The setting too of course is very grand
We enjoyed our stay - there was some noise from the nearby roadworks (they're extending the metro) which I have to confess did wake us a number of times.
I would have been disappointed if I'd have paid full price for the stay - I think we probably got good value for money at around 1/3rd of the normal rate
Pool is good too - particularly liked the underwater music!

• Stayed June 2013
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to the Imperial (about once a year), and even in one of their less lavish rooms, a great stay can be had. The property itself is magnificent, and the service excellent. One minor draw-back: during the winter months very loud weddings on the hotel front lawn can create a racket. Another: when faced with a real problem, front desk staff sometimes default into denial, rather than responding with a solution instantly. Finally, the hotel has the bizarre approach of charging tax on free breakfasts. The savings to the hotel of doing so surely do not compensate for client irritation! But these are quibbles - my overall experience was great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & general Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback about your stay at The Imperial during Feb 2013. Though you seem to be happy with your overall experience, I have noticed minor traces of dissatisfaction which I’d like to clarify.
You seem to be discomforted due to the noise from the lawns. We do make a constant effort that our resident guests are not disturbed due to any outside function and do not hesitate to offer another room if needed, to make our guests more comfortable. However, we do regret that you were inconvenienced and assure you that we would have come up with an immediate solution had it been brought to our notice at that point. Nevertheless, I request you to accord us another opportunity to showcase our hospitality and ensure that you have the most memorable stay.
The Imperial takes pride in its associates and their problem solving capabilities and we are always upfront in ensuring that our guests have a flawless stay. However, if you have ever noticed an instance which gave you an impression otherwise, may I request you to share the details with me on vwanchoo@theimperialindia.com so that we may investigate with regards to the isolated incident.
With regards to your unhappiness due to the taxes charged on breakfast, I would like to share with you that as per government regulations a DVAT tax component of 0.625% is charged on breakfast included in the room rate, and none of it really adds up to our revenue.
I hope you will not let this untoward experience influence your perception of The Imperial and will give us another chance to serve you.
Looking forward to welcoming back!

paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

my room was unfortunetely on the front side. There are some underground works just in front of the hotel. I did sleep from 4am to 5 am probably because i was so tired that i feld down.
No excuse, no discount on the rate , never again .
Go to the Shangri la couple of meters from there and get a proper service

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your experience at The Imperial.
It’s extremely disheartening to know that your last stay with us in March 2013 was not comfortable due to the underground work happening outside the hotel.
The Imperial takes pride in its service standards and we are always upfront in creating a memorable stay experience for all our guests. We regret the inconvenience caused as it was due to a circumstance beyond our control. However, we do strive for a greater satisfaction level of all our guests and try our best to minimize the discomfort caused due to the outside noise by allocating room in a quieter location away from the building work. I request you to accord us another opportunity to showcase our hospitality & impeccable service to make your future visits to the Imperial truly memorable.
You may also send an email to vwanchoo@theimperialindia.com prior to your next visit and we will ensure complete care.
We do look forward to welcoming you back again.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for ten days and would not contemplate staying anywhere else in Delhi. It is not large or ostentatious but small, personal with every detail considered. Breakfast on the lawns were wonderful as was the morning yoga and spa facilities. The staff are attentive but not intrusive.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!