“Centrally located and no surprises” 4 of 5 stars

Eros Hotel, New Delhi, Nehru Place
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Nehru Place, New Delhi 110019, India   |
Ranked #49 of 601 Hotels in New Delhi
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Centrally located and no surprises”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Checked in for one night recently on work. The hotel is bang near South Delhi and has what a business traveler wants--predictable and efficient services.The breakfast selection is varied and even the South Indian food tastes like it should (which is not common when you go North :-) ). The lobby lounge is good and staff are well trained to serve unobtrusively.The spa is quite big and clean.
I would go again ...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Eros_Nehru_Place, General Manager at Eros Hotel, New Delhi, Nehru Place, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear SUNIL S,

It is a pleasure to know that you had a pleasant experience with us and that the hotel meets with your business requirements.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our service, it is good to know that you felt well-looked after during your stay. We are also glad that you were happy with our breakfast spread and the team is pleased to learn that you found the food both good in quality and authentic. We look forward to welcoming you back when you next return to New Delhi.

Julian Ayers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Turkish first
Brentwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The following review covers a stay Sunday - Friday at the Eros Hotel, Managed by Hilton, Nehru Place, Delhi during January 2013.

The Eros Hotel leaves 4 bottles of a certain brand of mineral water in the room each day. Someone used an empty one of these bottles as a container for moving a strong acid into my room. That person then left it (presumably unintentionally) in my bathroom, where I might easily have left such a bottle myself. The substance is a colourless and odourless liquid. On returning to my room in the evening, thinking the bottle contained water, as simply appeared to be the case, I took a mouthful. The shock caused an instant reaction and I emitted everything immediately. My throat had completely closed itself and I had the momentary experience of empty lungs and unable to breathe. The liquid was later established probably to have been sulphamic acid, which is used routinely by Eros cleaning staff as a de-scaler. I am told by experts that if someone with respiratory problems had ingested this substance, the result could have been very severe and it could also have caused serious injury if taken by a child or by someone without immediate access to water. Fortunately I was at the sink, so I had water to try to flush the acid out of my throat; then I drank a lot of water to dilute the effect of any acid that had passed through. I reported the incident to the front desk, was having great difficulty speaking, then lost my voice completely. The substance in the bottle vigorously emitted gas when dripped as a test onto the marble floor in Hotel Reception, so it clearly displayed strong acidic characteristics. Otherwise, at that point I did not know what exactly I had ingested, how much damage it had done, whether any of the damage was permanent, nor if my voice would return.

A hotel car was put quickly at my disposal to take me to hospital; the journey through dense Delhi traffic was slow and painful. The acid had also attacked my teeth leaving them very sensitive. At the hospital, chosen by the hotel, the medical staff tried to get me to lie down on a grubby bed with a blood stain and greasy mark on the sheet. Then they tried to issue me with pills where you could not identify what the medication was. In India, the self-administration of toxic substances must be reported to the police, so I later had to undergo a police interview at a time when it was painful for me to even speak.

The hotel management promised me a thorough review. However, their result that not enough of the liquid was available for the analysis to identify the exact chemical was disappointing. I know a lot about chemical analysis and I know that I had provided easily enough of a sample for a competent laboratory to analyse. CCTV images were shown to me, but the picture quality was so poor that the staff members in it could not be distinguished from each other and it could not be identified what they were carrying. No staff member owned up to taking the bottle into my room and the culprit was not found.

In an unrelated prior incident, I returned one lunchtime and was able to enter my room without using my key. My door was left completely open by hotel staff and the room was unattended, as were many neighbouring rooms. I retrieved something from my room, and without hurrying, left again without anyone seeing me. It is true that a room key, valid for one of the rooms on a particular floor, must be used in the lift to access that floor at all or the lift will not stop there, but this in itself is not an adequate security measure, because if a thief, or worse, wished to access the rooms, he or she could use the lift at the same time as a key-carrying hotel guest.

In just a few days at this hotel, I encountered:
- Lax room security
- Very dangerous practices with cleaning materials
- Hospital standards much lower than a Hilton guest might expect
- Very low definition CCTV security cameras
- A poor investigation afterwards that did not establish who was responsible and which wasted the sample that I gave for chemical analysis

Luckily, I was able to take the right action immediately to minimise the damage to my health, but not everyone in that same predicament would have been able to do so. The Eros/Hilton was incredibly fortunate that this incident happened to me, rather than someone more vulnerable who could have been badly injured.

On the plus side, I believe this to be a one-off incident, the Hilton Hotel management and staff all seemed to be genuinely shocked and concerned by the events, which revealed some operational standards much lower than they themselves expected. The management recognises the seriousness of what happened, were open enough to explain to me a number of the measures they are implementing to introduce improved practices and I believe they will do so.

I have travelled widely, stayed in hotels all over the world, including on two occasions previously this one, and have not had any such experiences before that caused me to complain.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eros_Nehru_Place, General Manager at Eros Hotel, New Delhi, Nehru Place, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear 645John_Wendy,

At the outset, I apologise to you once again for your experience.

We have had the opportunity to interact several times while you were here and we discussed every aspect of the incident in great detail. As you know, the incident was investigated at great length, senior management was involved in this assessment and several measures have been put into place to further strengthen our processes. While the procedures were already in place, we have introduced additional checks to contain a possible lapse on the part of an individual team member, as was the case in this incident.

Once again, I completely understand your sentiments and I reiterate our sincere regrets.

I am also certain you would agree that the team members at the hotel conducted themselves in a responsible and honourable manner, and they have learnt a vital lesson from this incident. We will strive all the more harder to ensure our guests enjoy a comfortable and safe stay.

You have been and continue to be our valued guest, and we do look forward to an opportunity of welcoming you again.

Doncaster, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at the Eros at the end of Janaury whilst on a business trip, generally speaking the experience was a postive one, until I came to check out...! My firm has an arrangement with a travel company that settle our hotel bills when travelling internationally. The Eros claimed to have no knowledge of this payment arrangement - despite me having documentation to prove it - and insisted on taking a pre-authorisation on my credit card for the full amount (some 99,000 rupees). They insisted that they would email me the next day to confirm whether they had confirmed the payment arrangements and release the pre-auth. This never came. In the meantime and once back in the UK the travel company confirmed payment by them and a week later the pre-auth was released. All sorted, or so I thought! Some two weeks later when checking my internet banking I noticed that the Eros had decided to debit the full amount from my credit card with no warning. It then took over a week for them to register and respond to correspodence from the travel company regarding this. They finally acknowledged that the payment had been taken in "error" - no particular apology - but that it would take up to a week for the bank to process the refund (whatever!). Now almost a month after the amount was falsely debited I am still waiting for £1100 to be returned to me and incurring credit card charges in the meantime. Shambolic administration and not what I had come to expect of the Hilton!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eros_Nehru_Place, General Manager at Eros Hotel, New Delhi, Nehru Place, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Hannah F,

I am sorry to learn of your recent experience with us and of the inconvenience this has since caused.

I have investigated this matter with my team and have ascertained that prior to your arrival and up until your departure, we had not received any confirmation from your company or the travel company regarding your billing arrangements. After you checked out, we had emailed you regarding the charges but unfortunately, later found that we had made an error with your email address, which explains the lapse in communication with you.

We extend our sincere apologies for this miscommunication and are pleased to inform that we have successfully completed the reversal process of the charges on your credit card. Our Front Office Manager Ms. Ritika Singh would have contacted you by now with the full details of the transaction. However, should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact her directly on ritika.singh@hilton.com.

Please rest assured that you are our valued guest and we continue to be at your service. We look forward to once again extending our warm hospitality to you, should your travels bring you back to New Delhi.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 days during my business visit to Delhi. The hotel is located about 25 minutes from the Domestic Airport. So during traffic hours it may take more also. So please check with the hotel people or your driver about the peak hours to plan your journey accordingly.
Airport pickup from the hotel was not provided as I was coming through Domestic Airport. They gave me a rate and I dropped that idea. Some where in my review you will find out how much was that. I hope they have complimentary airport pickup and drop off for the International One. Very Strange. But there is pre-paid taxi counter inside the airport which is a very good option.
The hotel is very beautifully maintained and the staff were very helpful. I was upgraded to an Executive Room with a twin bed. Check-in time was about 2 minutes which was very quick as I had my reservations everything confirmed.
Security is excellent as to access the lift you need your room key. So unauthorized visitors are not welcome unless and until you accompany them.
I was given a room in the 3rd floor with swimming pool view. (Unfortunately I cannot upload any photos as I have lost my I-Phone in Dubai. I hope Dubai Police will help me to find this. If it get it back and everything is there I have some great photos for this hotel... GOD Help me)
I could see a metro station just behind the hotel which seems to be very convenient. I could see the Lotus temple also which is very near. I hope only walking distance from the hotel. There are two shopping mall in front of the hotel plus a movie theater. A very good one and I managed to see a film also - Special 26. There is also a very good street market outside the hotel just across the street which starts functioning by evening time I believe. You have to have a very good bargaining skill to get something from there. Also a McDonalds is there in front of the theater if you are a junk food favorite. Other than that local food outlets are many where you could try some really local foods.
The room has got all the basic amenities that you want and to spoil yourself. Hair Dryer, Coffee making machine, Iron with table and number of toiletries. The toilet was very clean and neatly set up.
They got almost all basic channels and a list was also provided. You don't have a Tv set in the toilet but you can hear the audio in there though an in built speaker system. So better put some music channel when you are going to take a bath instead of a horror movie. The bed and pillow was so comfortable and carefully chosen which will make it difficult to get up in the morning. A very good night sleep. Internet it seems to be a paid one which I didn't try as I have my own airtel dongle with me.
Breakfast was complimentary with my package which was served at the restaurant located in the Lobby level - Blooms. The breakfast was very good with some varieties of Japanese dish items.
I booked a conference room for two days which was also very spacious and neatly set. A board room setup. Excellent staff with prompt assistance for every need. Really appreciate that.
There is a saloon in the health club area. I did a haircut over there but of course compared to the rate outside I can cut my hair for 8 months. But of course it’s not a local one. I also did an hair oil massage which was really comfortable. So definitely I have to pay a good amount. So no complaints on that.
I didn't use the swimming pool as the temperature at my visit in Delhi was about 10 to 15. So didn't dare to do that drill.
Overall the hotel is bit expensive but you get what you have paid for. The customer service and the experience that you get is really commendable and worth for money. I have personally arranged a call taxi to pick me up and drop me at the airport. So I have no idea how much it will cost me if I take a hotel taxi. But the rate that they offered me for pick up and drop of at the hotel was INR 1400 but I paid only INR 300 to a pre-paid taxi.
My final word is JUST GO FOR IT. YOU WILL ENJOY EVERY SECOND OF YOUR STAY.

Room Tip: I don't think any issue will be there with any rooms. As there is no railway station or airport...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Eros_Nehru_Place, General Manager at Eros Hotel, New Delhi, Nehru Place, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear ShankerSreekumar,

Thank you for posting your detailed review of Eros Managed by Hilton, my team and I are pleased that you enjoyed our hospitality and your stay.

We appreciate your feedback on our location, guest room and facilities. It is encouraging for the team to learn that their warm and professional service made you feel safe and well-looked after during your stay. It is also good to know that you slept comfortably on our beds and that you were happy with our breakfast buffet variety.

The team extends their warm thanks for your special mention of their service. It was their pleasure to ensure that all your meeting requirements were met.

Thank you for staying with us and for recommending the hotel to the Tripadvisor community. We hope that your business brings you back to New Delhi in the future so that we may extend our warm hospitality and Hilton experience to you once again.

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel is situated at Nehru Place. Which is very nearby to Greater Kailash Market, Saket, Lajpat Nagar, Very convenient to reach there through Metro. Food is very nice in Singh Sahib Restaurant and enjoy dinner with Live Ghazals. 24X7 Coffee Shop also serves good variety. Person can enjoy food, market, shopping. There pastry Shop (Sweet n Crusty) serves amazing cakes.

One can enjoy his/her stay at Eros, Hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Eros_Nehru_Place, General Manager at Eros Hotel, New Delhi, Nehru Place, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear nidhiandamit,

My team and I are delighted to receive your kind review of Eros Managed by Hilton, it was a pleasure having you and your family with us.

Our Food and Beverage team is happy to learn that your good dining experience at Singh Sahib and the cakes at Sweet & Crusty highlighted your experience with us. It is also good to know that you enjoyed exploring around our bustling neighbourhood.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed in this hotel this month for 2 nights, i think it was room 929. room is ok, bed good, bathroom ok. good view of the city from the room. the commode doesn't have a bidet shower, becomes a bit of bother for those of us who use water. guys this is india!
internet is expensive. since it was winter didn't use the pool, but it looked ok. there also was smaller childrens' pool.
breakfast area is a bit small but the buffet selection is just right. the buffet lunch served as a part of the conference was below average but the dinner was ok.
the conference area was adequate size.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Eros_Nehru_Place, General Manager at Eros Hotel, New Delhi, Nehru Place, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear sanjoy,

Thank you for posting your review of Eros Managed by Hilton, your feedback and insights are much appreciated.

We are glad that overall you were comfortable in our guest room, from which you enjoyed the city view, and that you were happy with our buffet breakfast and dinner spreads. The team has received your feedback regarding our lunch buffet and continues to work hard to uphold the high standards of our food quality.

We look forward to welcoming you back, should your business bring you back to New Delhi in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at the Eros hotel. Again, the service was exceptional. The staff are exceptionally helpful. For example, when I was leaving a staff member who was cleaning a room saw me going past with my case and immediately raced out and insisted on taking care of the case despite being told not to worry. I had an executive room and the access to the executive lounge was well worth it each evening after work. I was there for a business trip and would be more than happy to stay again.

Dear Rossco90,

Thank you for your kind compliments of Eros Managed by Hilton, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your continued patronage is important to us and it is rewarding for the team to learn that their service contributed well towards both your stays with us. We are also glad that you were comfortable in our Executive room and Lounge.

We look forward to having you with us again and continuing to delight you with our warm hospitality.

Julian Ayers

Been to Eros Hotel, New Delhi, Nehru Place? Share your experiences!