“Average hotel with slow service & poor cleaning” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lalit New Delhi

Save Saved
You added The Lalit New Delhi to your Saves list
The Lalit New Delhi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Barakhamba Avenue | Connaught Place, New Delhi 110001, India   |
Ranked #55 of 593 hotels in New Delhi
Berlin, Germany
“Average hotel with slow service & poor cleaning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed for two nights in November. The lobby is nice and impressive with some very impressive art pieces but the good impression was over once I reached the counter.

The check in took a good 15 minutes of waiting times, while multiple computers and card systems have been used. The room had no (!) windows and styled in black and red. Corners and more difficult to reach spots were dusty and unclean. The AC is quite noisy and blowing a cold airstream to the bed. It took me very long to figure out how to shut off all the lights in the room to sleep in a dark environment. Carpet on the floors is outworn, stained and needs replacement.

Food was good, service quite slow and not acknowledging the orders (but repeating a longer order). The starter size was very big but they run out of desserts.

Beds are quite comfortable and I slept well. The hotel has a very annoying and complicated WiFi procedure where one has to create an account but it does not accept the passwords chosen (but does not document the requirements either). The procedure requires to login before a plan can be selected - very difficult to figure out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a large window to not feel like in jail
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Namaskar !

At the outset, please accept my sincere and profound apologies for the dissatisfying experience you had during your recent stay at The Lalit, New Delhi. The room allocated to you was modelled after our Night Club- Kitty Su and hence had no windows. Needless to say we have many categories & decor of rooms and we will ensure you have a better room the next time you stay with us. There is certainly no justification for slow service. Please be assured that your feedback has been taken up very seriously with the concerned Head of Department. I am glad you had a restful sleep though !
I am hopeful you will offer us another opportunity to redeem ourselves
In anticipation

1,376 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Lalit is one of my fav properties in Delhi! Centrally located in the heart of Delhi, close to Connaught place and the best restaurants in the city if you wish to move out for dinner/lunch.
Rooms are very big, clean and spacious. Breakfast has a huge spread. Had a 2 night stay which was very comfortable. Perfect for a business trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Namaskar !
Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. We value your feedback and it certainly goes a long way in boosting the morale of the team. The journey towards Service Excellence at The Lalit New Delhi is a never ending one and it is feedback like yours which motivates us to do better with each passing day.
Thank you!
Please do write to me at vshukla@thelalit.com, the next time you are in Delhi and we will ensure you have a wonderful experience yet again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Great entrance! Very grand! Was very much looking forward to our room! But was disappointed, the room smelt so much of cigarettes! The room is okay size, it was a little a rough around the edges!
The location was good, easy to walk to restaurants and some sights! The buffet breakfast was good! Plenty to choose from! Overall okay hotel, maybe more attention to the rooms!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vivek-Shukla, General Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Namaskar !
Thank you for your feedback! Your kind words of appreciation really boost the morale of the team. Also, please accept my apologies that you did not find the room to meet your expectations. We have clear demarkation of Smoking & Non-smoking floors, but unfortunately your room smelt of stale smoke.
I request you to offer us another opportunity with your patronage of The Lalit, New Delhi. Please write to me at vshukla@thelalit.com the next time you are in Delhi and we will ensure you have a great stay.

cairns
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights on my business trip. The lobby area is very relaxing with water fountain and live piano music. 24/7 restaurant is conveniently open all the time to fill my stomach.

There are some things that could be improved to better meet the expectation of travellers.

1. Bathroom
(1) The lighting is not sufficient for me to put my make-up on! Probably I looked like a person who's heading to Gala dinner rather than a business meeting...
(2) Whoever designed that bathroom should have tried to take shower him/herself. The showerhead is so strage you have to step to the far end of the booth in order to take shower. It was very uncomfortable.

2. Executive Lounge
Nice tea and cocktail time, though there was no breakfast at 8am in the morning. I was told at the reception that I could choose between 24/7 and the lounge to take my breakfast. I preferred the lounge as 24/7 is too busy. But no breakfast was served there. Why?

3. Dirty dishes
Some of the dishes were clearly dirty at 24/7 Restaurant. The servers did not even notice about it!

4. Linens
A bathrobe in my room had a hole! Bathrobes and towels looked very worn out.

5. Room temperature
Hallway is fairly warm though once step inside the room, you feel the chill. I don't understand why cleaning guys keep turning the aircon back on all the time when I intentionally turn it off when I leave the room because it is already winter and pretty cold at night.

Overally, the building is a 5-star but the service is a 3-star.

Namaskar !

I am disappointed to learn that we were not able to provide you with service that is basic to hospitality. Please accept my most sincere & profound apologies for the same. We are working on all the points including the lighting, cleanliness, linen, AC. The breakfast at Lounge has just undergone a revamp and I am hopeful that you will offer us another opportunity with your patronage.
Please write to me at vshukla@thelalit.com the next time you are in Delhi and we will ensure you have a flawless experience.
In anticipation

Warmest Regards

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I arrived at the Airport to find my hotel transfer driver asleep on the sign with my name on it. The other drivers next to him woke him up for me. It would have been quite funny if you didnt consider the safety aspect of him being tired whilst driving me to my hotel. Upon checking in to my room, I noticed the wardrobe light was stuck on. I was too tired to call Reception so I just shoved towels underneath the wardrobe so it wouldnt light the room whilst I was sleeping.
In the morning, I had a shower and washed my hair only to come out and find there was no hair-dryer. I called Housekeeping and they told me where it should have been - and it wasnt. They then sent an old and melted one up to my room. I then went to iron my clothes for my meetings - no iron or ironing board. Again I rang Housekeeping and they told me where the items should have been. They eventually sent an iron up...no ironing board. They then came back with both items. By this stage I was now running late for my meetings. I went down to the restaurant fro a quick breakfast. I noticed that there were no bottles of water on the tables - I have never seen this before and this is my 3rd month long visit to India in 12 months. On the way out, I asked for a bottle of water to take my tablets with and they said that they didnt have bottled water and I had to buy it from the coffee shop! I was really amazed at this from a 5 star hotel. I then hired a hotel car and driver for the day to ferry me around the city for my meetings. The driver made the most inappropriate and offensive comment about women being safe in Delhi as long as they dressed and behaved in an appropriate manner - this was in relation to the gang crime in December 2012. When I got back to the hotel, I reported this incident and my other experiences over the last 24 hours to the Reception Manager. He said that he appreciated the feedback and told me to email him on my next stay. When I got back to my room I reported the wardrobe light and the maintenance people came and confirmed it was broken but they needed a part to fix it. I requested they disconnect it so the room would be dark when I went to sleep - which they did.I used the gym and once again noticed there were no towels or bottles of water on the cardio equipment - so the water thing must be a cost saver for them?? The only shining star of my stay was the salon/spa staff - amazing service!
Upon checkout the manager of the drivers told me that all the drivers were going through a training course on what is appropriate to say to guests - which I thought was a good outcome. The reception desk manager just smiled and said 'see you next time'. But there wont be a next time as I will definitely stay in another hotel and will be advising my staff to do the same. With a little effort, these issues could have all been avoided.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 1008 unless the problems have been rectified.
Namaskar !

At the outset, I would like to thank you for giving us your valuable feedback. Please accept my sincere and profound apologies for the dissatisfying experience you had during your stay at The Lalit, New Delhi.
Your feedback has been shared with the concerned Head of Departments very seriously and we are trying to iron out the multiple irritants which led to a disappointing stay.
I request you to offer us another opportunity to win you back as a fan of The Lalit

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Manoj at club lounge was very much to give me a comfort zone. I was really impressed with his personal responsibilities at Lalit. I have been coming to LALIT since past 20 years and more when it was not LALIT but known ax other names. I has privileged to mr Suri many a times. The experience is overwhelming and I thin even the present staff including Manoj who used to be in bar and nor in club lounge is keeping the spirit going.

• Stayed November 2013
Namaskar!
Thank you for your kind words of appreciation towards our team member Manoj. We are indeed very proud to have him with us and your feedback motivates us all to do better.
Please write to me vshukla@thelalit.com the next time you are in Delhi and we will ensure you have a great experience yet again.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I checked the reviews of the hotel for a last minute trip with my mother to Delhi. Decided to book the hotel for the 2 of us. It turned out that my father accompanied us and when we reached the hotel the staff was kind enough to accommodate us without any additional charges. The stay was very pleasant with an extremely courteous staff. Clean rooms; however, the a/c wouldn't stop and it was freezing in our room. The breakfast was sumptuous.
Although the staff was very nice i had a very unpleasant and racist experience while getting breakfast in the morning. The remarks made me so angry and upset that i was trembling. I told the manager and a few people apologized to me and my family. It could have been dealt better than that.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade once you reach or perhaps for some discount vouchers for the spa. Also, ask for a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Namaskar !
I would like to thank you for taking out the time and giving us your feedback. It is feedback like yours which help us improve and grow. Your overall wonderfull experience was marred by one incident which was taken up very seriously with the concerned team member. Please accept my sincere apologies for the same. We are an Indian chain of Hotels and very proud of our origin, and treat all our guests in the same professional manner.
I hope you will treat this incident in isolation and offer us another opportunity to serve you better
Please write to me vshukla@thelalit.com the next time you are coming to Delhi and we will ensure you have a flawless experience

Vivek Shukla

Been to The Lalit New Delhi? Share your experiences!