“Nice place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zaffran

Zaffran
26/28 Block D, Connaught Place | Hotel Palace Heights, 2nd Floor, New Delhi 110001, India
Website
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Ahmedabad, India
“Nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

we went their with our friends, nice place to enjoy dinner, food is nice and service is good. place looks awesome and very quite in CP .

Visit it if you looking for good food and some chit chat with friends in quite place.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Hebrew first
Tallahassee, Florida
“The best way to do Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

This restaurant has a gorgeous view of Delhi and has beautiful décor. The waiters pull your chairs out for you, are very attentive the entire meal, and you can see the chefs preparing everything by hand through a glass window. They definitely have the best garlic naan in Delhi. My chicken was cooked perfectly. I left happy and full. Would go to again!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Outstanding even if you're In Sitting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Zaffran is the hotel restaurant for the Hotel Palace Heights, Connaught Place (CP). It's located immediately adjacent to the hotel lobby, upstairs. This wasn't very convenient for me the first time I was in New Delhi, since I was staying at a different hotel a few miles away. It was extremely convenient when I returned to New Delhi, because I booked a room in the hotel, specifically so I could get back after a hot day, shower, chill, and head to the restaurant without even leaving my floor.

The restaurant is urban elegant, with a nice terrace overlooking CP: limited seating out there and only pleasant when its cool, but on the right evening, awesome (see photo). Sitting indoors is quite pleasant, though, and you get some interesting people-watching. One night a large family sat along one wall, with a nervous young girl. Another large family came in, with a nervous young boy. Negotiations appeared to commence after polite introductory remarks, and I believe everything was settled satisfactorily. I wish the young couple all happiness. Morale: if you're going to negotiate with someone who loves first-class Indian cuisine, this is the place to hold the conversation.

Half of Zaffran's menu is vegetarian: I had tandoori mushrooms as an appetizer and palao char bagh as a main course; both were excellent. Their non-vegetarian menu features--no surprise--chicken and mutton. From the chicken dishes, I tried the jalfrezi and murgh tikka; from the mutton, I tried the rogan josh and the hyderabadi biryani; all four were excellent.

The real stars of the show, however, were the supporting cast: the rotiyan. The tandoori roti was addictive; the tandoori naan, onion kulcha, and peshawari naan were all delicious. They have a baker's dozen different kinds of bread, and if I had had one more night in town, I would have been tempted to skip all starters and main courses, and simply ask for one order each of all 13 breads.

Oh, yes, they also have quite a good bar. And when I stayed at the hotel during my second visit, breakfast at Zaffran was included in my rate, and it was excellent.

Highest recommendations. TA asks reviewers the question "is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant?" With regret, I answered honestly "no," but that's because the competition is quite stiff. Zaffran's IS the best cookiing that I've ever had in India, and the best Indian food I've ever had anywhere, including the best Indian restaurants I could find in the UK and the US. I've eaten in some fine Indian restaurants over the years, but Zaffran trumps them all.

p.s. I gave Zaffran one "average," for Dining on a Budget; I rated the Value as "excellent" because I consider the cost to be quite reasonable for food this good--you can pay much more than this in New Delhi for cooking only half this good. But if you're a backpacker, this one's a bit of a splurge.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Jhoomta Kukkad....!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Fabulous place for North Indian | Mughlai cuisine. The restaurant is situated in the heart of Delhi's heart, Connaught Place. The name Zaffran, is the Farsi name for the king of spices, Saffron.

Decent decor, comfortable seating, moderately priced drinks and superb food. It has all the ingredients for making a lunch or dinner successful.

The speciality of the house is Jhoomta Kukkad. ..literal translation is Drunken Rooster...its a chicken dish cooked in rum. Not for the faint hearted, but still is unique...in taste and appearance. The rest of the dishes were great too.. We had ordered for Mutton rogan josh, dal makhani, yellow dal tadka, one paneer dish and assortment of Indian breads. The desserts were pasri malai kulfi and gulab jamuns.

Overall, a highly satisfactory meal. I would recommend it for a one time visit at least. Post that, you take your own call if you want to return. If I may hazard a guess, I feel you would.

“Good restaurant ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Although the place is old it has not been renovated very long but its serves very good north Indian food. The staff is very attentive. I have been going to this place since ages