“The best Hyderabadi Biriyani in Delhi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Golconda Bowl

The Golconda Bowl
22 Ground Floor | Hauz Khas VIllage, New Delhi 110016, India (Minto Road)
+91 93 11 725581
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #67 of 3,573 restaurants in New Delhi
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Minto Road
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“The best Hyderabadi Biriyani in Delhi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If anyone wants to taste how the famous Hyderabadi Biriyani actually tastes then this is the place. You don't have to go all the way to Hyderabad from Delhi for that now. The Haleem is divine and must be tried.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

85% Recommend
New Delhi, India
“Deserves a second review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was impressed by the place during my first visit and the second time I went there, I was even more pleased to have chosen to dine at Golconda Bowl.
It was a saturday so we had to wait for some time but that was okay as the manager made sure that we were comfortable. As soon as we were seated, I handed the waiter a printout of the email they had sent me offering 20% discount on our anniversary. I must confess, that was one of the reasons we went there because without the discount, I think the restaurant is very expensive.
I had already become a fan of their haleem and this time I ordered two plates of it since their helping of the dish is very less for 3 persons. It was as good as the first time. The Chicken 65 was finger-licking good. The Dum ka Murgh was passable but I dont mind that too much as we are not too fond of curries.
The best I like about the place is their menu. Since I am myself a half Hyderabadi and cook dishes like Khatti Dal, Dalcha, Dum biryani, Khatti Arbi ka salan, Mirchi ka salan, Tamatar ka kut, Baghara baigan, Bhindi Gosht, Tamatar Gosht and so on, in my kitchen, I am pleased to see that these delicious dishes are available for the people of Delhi.
The staff, the service, the ambience, the decor, the location, everything else about the restaurant is superb.
After the meal was over and we asked for the bill, we were made to wait for some time. We thought maybe there was some problem with the discount, maybe they could not give a discount on weekends. But the restaurant not only gave us a discount on our bill, but also brought a small cake for us with Happy Anniversary written on it. That was what all the delay was about, they were arranging for a cake for us.
Another thing that definitely needs a mention here is that we had biryani packed for home. The bill for that was generated separately as no service charge was applicable for packing. I was truly impressed by their honesty.
A word of praise for the manager who makes sure that every guest is properly attended to, helps them select the dishes, offers advice, and sees to it that every one is happy with the food and service.
Definitely a must visit place for lovers of good food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, TX
“Excellence outside a 5star hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Indian restaurants have your typical butter chicken and saag paneer. After a while, it gets boring. This was the first Indian restaurant that ventured off the normal restaurant offerings for foreigners to provide unique and very tasty authentic Indian meals. The food was very fresh and innovative. I thoroughly enjoyed!
The staff was very attentive but not overly burdensome.
The ambience was comfortable and in one of my favorite neighborhoods: Hauz Khas.

Thank you!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Golconda_Bowl, Owner at The Golconda Bowl, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you so much. Hope to see you again soon.
India
“Excellent little restaurant, quite VFM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

What rocks:
- Pricing. In 1200 INR ($20), we had enough food for 3 hungry people and yet had to pack the remainder. The Rs 400 biryani is actually sizeable enough for 2 well fed men!
- Taste. Delhi does NOT have good hyderabadi joints. The biryani was simply awesome. even better than Deez.
- Attention by the manager. Subtle, yet taking care of our needs - he was constantly around if you needed. We needed jain-ised food (no onion/garlic) and they were quick to do the needful.
- Service. Efficient.
- No fixed hours. We had gone to dine at Gunpowder but because we got late (1515 arrival vs last lunch order at 1445), we chose Golconda Bowl.

What you may not like:
- No high chair for toddlers. Our little tornado was quite a terror because of this one reason.
- Tree view. The lake is right next to the building and you would have a superlative view from the terrace (Gunpowder)

How to locate: Same building as Gunpowder
Cost/head : INR 400 (with half the biryani packed to take back home!)

Gaborone, South-East, Botswana
“Hyderabad in Hauz Kaus Village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Only a short but well sign posted walk from the entrance to Hauz Kaus Village this restaurant, serving Hyderabad style cuisine is well worth a visit. The decor is pleasant and the staff are welcoming and very attentive and even better, the food is delicious. When my wife and I first visited the restaurant it was `dry’ and although we do enjoy a glass of wine or two with our meal the quality of the food alone was sufficient to draw us back when we visited New Delhi for the second time. To our surprise, in the intervening months the restaurant had obtained a license which only further enhanced the appeal of this excellent eatery.

• Visited December 2011