“good hotel compared to others in Pahar ganj” 4 of 5 stars

Anoop Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1566, Main Bazar,, New Delhi 110055, India   |
Ranked #289 of 592 hotels in New Delhi
Mc Leod Ganj
“good hotel compared to others in Pahar ganj”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I' ve travelled many times to Delhi and stayed at many different places, but since I ve stayed at anoop I wont go anywhere else, the prices are reasonable, the rooms are well sized and relatively clean.it is a generally good option to stay at. save place!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I ended up staying in Anoop guest house in Paharganj after enquiring in a few guest houses along the main bazaar and finding it to have the best price. We got a double room with A/C for 800Rs a night - more than we were used to paying but Delhi is in general more expensive.

It is worth looking in a few rooms before you decide on the one you want. I say this because the room we were first allocated was quite small and we asked to change rooms as the A/C wasn't very effective at all. The second room we had was on the fourth floor opposite the restaurant (401 or 402 I can't remember) and was much roomier with a big old-fashioned A/C box that made nice refreshing fridge-like conditions for us to cool down in :) All rooms have flat screen TVs which is nice, and a phone to call reception if you have any problems. I requested another blanket for the bed one night and they brought one up within a few minutes. The staff also arranged a taxi to take us to the airport on our last night and gave us a wake up call at 4.15am. 24 hour service!

The downside to our room was that unfortunately there was a problem with the toilet in that every time you flushed it water flooded out in quite comedy fashion like a little fountain out either side of the U-bend (!) and the sink leaked too so the bathroom floor was permanently wet - but you get used to this in India with the shower going directly onto the floor anyway....we decided it wasn't worth making a fuss about but it was a bit annoying to have to leap across the bathroom to avoid the fountain every time you flushed the toilet!!! Not entirely sure how hygienic it was either (probably not very). Ah, India...

The hotel in general is nice, clean (apart from the questionable toilet water fountain) and good value. The rooftop restaurant is very nice, although maybe a bit over-priced. I would recommend the fruit salad for breakfast; 100Rs but you get a LOT!

Overall I would recommend. Hopefully they'll have fixed the toilet soon...!

Room Tip: If you can, check a few rooms before you decide on the one that's best for you
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night passing through New Delhi on my way to Dharamsala. I chose this place because I noticed a lot of other tourists were coming in and out, and after checking out a few other really sketchy-looking places, Anoop's main entrance and lobby appeared quite legit. I paid a little more than I was expecting to for Pahar Ganj because they didn't have any singles left, and he wouldn't give me a lower price for the double even though I tried to bargain for it. The room itself was better than what I'd seen for lower-priced accomodations in Pahar Ganj, and it had a powerful fan and (to my delight) a new, flat-screened television. I do admit that the walls could have used some scrubbing. The bathroom was oddly-shaped (think of a long corridor) but appeared decently clean. Also, I would have preferred a window opening onto the outside (this room's window opened into the hotel itself). Overall, though, I didn't have a problem with the room I received and treated myself to watching "Gandhi" the night before Independence Day.

I also availed myself of the travel services downstairs. The man helped me schedule a bus to Dharamsala the next day for what I discovered to be "around" the right price, but you should always shop around agencies in Pahar Ganj first to make sure you're getting a reasonable rate, commission considered. On a side note, I also left my luggage with Anoop for the day I checked out (10 Rps), used the air-conditioned Internet cafe, and peacefully hung around inside the lobby waiting for my bus departure for a couple of hours, away from the craziness of Main Bazaar outside.

When it came time to leave, some other travelers and I had to walk quite a ways following the dude to our tour bus, which took us to Majnu-Ka-Tilla, where we had to change buses a second time after waiting for another bus for about 45 minutes at a petrol station...and so that was a bit annoying (having had to haul all of my stuff and not knowing what was going on half the time), but I guess it is all a part of the adventure...

Room Tip: Be sure and ask to see the room before you pay...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We pre booked a night in this hotel having viewed a room. On returning to the hotel the room was changed without any other options left and as it was so late and we had already paid we had to take it. The room was dirty and the bathroom was disgusting, perhaps sleeping outside would have been better on looking back.
What a scam.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I went to Delhi on Jul-Aug 2011. It will take you 3-4 days to adjust your eyes and ears to the chaos of the city, especially the area where this hotel is located. The hotel send me emails saying that they will pick me up at the airport (I was arraving at 3:10am) but guess what, no one showed up there. While I have no major complains about the hotel it self, I need to advise: DO NOT contract any services provided by the travel agency that this hotel has. The manager (owner) will overprice the tour promising you that you will get back thanking him for such a wonderful trip. What a liar. I arrange a 10-day trip to Rajasthan with a car (including extra-cost for A/C since it was the middle of the summer in India) and a driver. The whole package was extremely overpriced (unfortunately, I noticed this once I was in the road and got the chance to compare my package to other toursits). I was asked to pay for parking and tolls and breakfast was not included. Later on I discovered that most of the travel agents assume this costs. The driver assigned to me barely could speak English. He was not polite at all. There was a constant battle for asking him to take me to the touristic places (forts, palaces, etc). I needed to be on top of my game in other to visit all the touristic destinations that I was supposed to visit in each town. I couldn't rely on the driver for this. On the other hand, he (the driver) was very quick to take me to the shops of "his friends" (of course there should be a commission involved) so I can spend my money on overpriced crafts, jewelry, etc.
The 50% off the accommodations that were booked for me where really crappy places. To the extend that someone unexpectedly knocked at my room's door at 2:30am in one occasion (I could'n sleep at all after that). I called the reception of the hotel and no one answer. I called to Delhi to complain with the Travel Agent that did the arrangements and I didn't receive a call back in 3 days (even though when this travel agent that sold me the package told me that he will be 24/7 for me during the trip). The last 3 days of the trip, the driver informed me that the A/C of the car was broken and that we would travel without air conditioning (A/C). When I call the travel agent, he even yelled at me saying that I was not being understanding of the situation, and that things like this could happen. It took me a spam of 3 hours and the help of a friend in Delhi who calls him for this travel agent asking the driver to get the A/C fixed.
Again, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THE TRAVEL AGENT IN HOTEL ANOOP (ANUP)
By the way, the travel agent (perhaps, he is the owner) has another office in a hotel located in the same street. Before paying anything, stop by the hotel Anoop and check that you are not dealing with the same person.
BAD, BAD, VERY BAD EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Lyon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

When you just arrive from the airport, it is a good address to relax from your fly and to get used to Indian life. You are in the main bazaar in the middle of a shopping area! There’s a roof-top where you can enjoy the view, the food, meet others tourists…The metro stop is not so far either…it is a good position in Delhi!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Anoop is one of the better hotels that you will find for its price in Paharganj. It's very clean and doesn't have anything like mold on the walls. They also have flat screen televisions in the rooms. There's also a rooftop restaurant and room service is available. There is an internet cafe downstairs. They also have a travel desk for arranging rail or air travel and tours, as well as an airport drop off and pick up service. It's close to the train station. I would definitely recommend it to other tourists.

Room Tip: Start with a lower budget than you want and see lots of rooms before you decide on one
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
HotelSinghEmpire, Guest Relations Manager at Anoop Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your generous review and your recommendation of our services. Yes, we have a inhouse Tour & Travel Desk, a much recommended rooftop restaurant. We would love to serve you again on your next visit.

Regards,
Guest Relations Team
Anoop Hotel

Been to Anoop Hotel? Share your experiences!