“First class” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Leela Palace New Delhi

You added The Leela Palace New Delhi to your Saves list
The Leela Palace New Delhi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Diplomatic Enclave | Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110023, India   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
KAMAL For Female Traveler
Ranked #1 of 626 Hotels in New Delhi
Dunsborough, Australia
“First class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Leela Palace was our first stop in India. Rated on Trip Advisor as the #1 hotel in Delhi, it is easy to see why. Our flight from Australia arrived at a very early hour, and by the time we had cleared immigration, and all that goes with arriving in a new country, we found with ease the complementary hotel car which was there to collect us, and which whisked us away to arrive at the hotel at about 4am. In keeping with a place of this standing, we were greeted professionally and respectfully, and given a brief orientation to the hotel before collapsing into bed.

We had 2 further nights at the Leela, and could not fault the place. Everywhere we went the staff greeted us with a friendly “Namaste”, and what seemed to be a real smile. We had chosen to stay in one of their “Royal Club” rooms, which gave us a more personalised breakfast experience, and complimentary drinks/canapés of an afternoon. Having said that, we chose to take breakfast in The Qube on the ground floor for 2 of our 3 meals. The selection is wide, as ever the service quite marvellous and the overall layout/ambience excellent, looking out as is does into the gardens.

An example of the service … I needed a large (ish) amount of Rupees. I asked one of the many people on the front door where the nearest ATM was. I as directed across the road. Not being familiar with the withdrawal limits at ATMs, I was unable to withdraw as much as I wanted, and thought the machine was faulty. I walked back to the hotel, and another of the security men asked if all was well. I said I had a problem, and attempted to explain it. We had a bit of a language barrier, and so he removed his gloves, issued an advice (in Hindi) to one of his work colleagues, and signalled for me to follow him. I had no idea why/where. We disappeared into the bowels of the building, and then we arrived, deep down by the HR department, at what I figured to be the staff ATM. He waited outside until I completed my transaction (unsuccessfully, but that was not of his making, but mine as I later figured out), and then showed me where to return by a shortcut to the main foyer. Completely above and beyond, especially from a man whose job was mainly to direct traffic and provide security, not necessarily had direct guess contact.

Another thing I liked was the sign in the room which said the hotel discouraged individual tipping, and that a lump sum could be left discreetly at reception upon departure, if the guest so wished, and that this would be distributed equitably amongst the team. This is a great concept, and also alleviates the pressure of constantly having your hand in your pocket, and wondering whether you have given a reasonably amount. A number of other hotels did this also – a great practice.

Whether the Leela deserves its #1 rating is a big call, but it certainly is very good, and worth the tariff. It’s a special place, and amongst the top hotels I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went to New Delhi 3 weeks ago and stayed for 4 nights at the Leela Palace Hotel. It was fabulous! You couldnt even open a door yourself they were there as soon as you went to open it. They also had the facility of a company car and also their own taxi service. We used the taxi service to visit all of the local sites such as the red fort, the tombs and then found us a rickshaw to go around the old town which was something i will never forget. You are being cycled around with cars, taxis, tuk tuks, motorbikes all merging into the same street with cables hanging down above!! we hired their company car to take us to the Taj Mahal which was a two and a half hour drive but really worth the money to travel in luxury. The Taj Mahal was everything and more! The hotel had a pool on the roof which we used every evening after sight seeing. They provided you with bottles of water, towels as soon as you stepped onto the roof. The restaurants in the hotel were fabulous. we tried the indian cuisine and their recommendations were fantastic. we tried their bar meal for supper one evening and the prawns were sumptious. If you are planning to come to Delhi the Leela Palace is definitely the hotel to stay in. The staff couldnt do enough for you. We stayed here before going to Goa! So pleased that we did!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaydn215
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Leela for 3 nights prior to touring around the Golden Triangle. We arrived late so they did our check-in in the room. Room was a reasonable size but well appointed. Bathroom is excellent and spacious - bath with TV which i like. Service throughout the hotel was excellent. Breakfast in the Qube was very good. We had dinner at Megu (Japanese) and Le Cirque (Italian) - both excellent. The wine list is extensive - wine is expensive in India but there are good value wines to be had. Oliver the excellent sommelier can help you with the best choices. We have stayed at a lot of pretty good hotels around Asia and the Leela would be near the top of the list. For the price we paid it would be easily the best value especially when compared to hotels in Hong Kong where we live. The hotel is in the diplomatic area but access to Delhi sites is pretty easy given most people will have a car and driver. We can't wait to go back and given how much we enjoyed the sites in Delhi it won't be long.

Room Tip: Stay here if you can !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Leela Palace is a great place to stop over when flying into Delhi before flying on elsewhere.

The food is excellent and even the coffee comes with extras and is beautifully presented.

The pool is always welcome, security is high, and the pedicure is just the best with tea brought to you on a tray whilst you recline being pampered.

The staff are welcoming and friendly, and so helpful.

When I wanted garlands made up to take to Udaipur it was done so quickly and they were brought to me to inspect - beautiful!

The only downside = if you go outside to have a cigarette and want a drink with it, it's a no no, either - have a drink, or - have a ciggie! I like both together, as do most people.

India has got very hot on this aspect but it's hilarious when you see the state of some of the streets and general lack of hygiene outside.

Sort this one out (provide an area to do both as we do here please) and you have a great hotel in Delhi!

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest one!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Fantastic in every way. Fababulous service, accommodation, food, facilities, etc. what more do you want. I went with my son, daughter and wife.. We wanted for nothing, great holiday & would recommend to all!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

WOW! Lovely being back after a year and good to see that the high standards are still in place. Equally happy to see the extremely professional Pratik has joined this hotel from another Delhi 5-star hotel that we used to stay in before The Leela. Good move. Breakfast is a treat and the staff friendliness is a big plus. I left a generous tip because the hotel has a shared tip policy which helps a lot. My experience with other hotels in this regard was not as good. Wish that I could remember more names because I'd love to dish out more kudos. The hotel is near the diplomatic enclave. Tip: This time we used a hotel taxi and it was worth the money. A BIG thanks to management for keeping up the standards. I look forward to returning. Our meal at The Library was excellent and they go over and above to please their guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We are on an extended business trip/holiday in India and the Leela Palace was where my husband had to attend a conference. I really wanted to stay at The Imperial so was disappointed when we were booked in here. Wow! did I soon change my mind. Right from the very start arriving from Dubai at 4 a.m were we met with such fantastic service and attention to every litlle detail. The room had everything you wanted and was extremely luxurious with lovely little touches like homemade biscuits and sweets under glass domes and a full bowl of good fruit. The bathroom was fantastic with 2 basins and a large, and very comfortable, bath with good products. The only slight irritant was the very weak hairdryer with no nozzle. Luckily my fast turbo hairdryer goes everywhere with me as I very rarely find one in any hotel!

Breakfast the next morning has to be one of the best we've both experienced. You can even choose your own juice which is made in front of you and the choice from the buffet is amazing with all the pastries and the coffee being of the highest quality. Can't really find fault here at all with such incredible staff in a beautiful hotel.

The position is probably not the best in Delhi and there are no grounds to walk around in, just a small garden with lovely f lowers. The rooftop pool had an amazing view over Delhi and was kept heated to 28 degrees which was good as it was quite cold when we were there.

We loved the bar which made incredibly good cocktails and had a very good atmosphere but did not get round to trying any of the restaurants . All in all we had a very good stay here and would certainly come back again when next in Delhi although we also love the Imperial so it would be a difficult choice!

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor. The view was just on the road. Maybe it is worth checking if there is a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Leela Palace New Delhi? Share your experiences!