“Opulent hotel, excellent service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Leela Palace New Delhi

You added The Leela Palace New Delhi to your Saves list
The Leela Palace New Delhi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Diplomatic Enclave | Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110023, India   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
KAMAL For Female Traveler
Ranked #1 of 626 Hotels in New Delhi
Beirut, Lebanon
“Opulent hotel, excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed there for two nights in December. The pick up from the airport was great, with the person detailed by the concierge, helping us with our numerous pieces of luggage. The check - in was done in our rooms and we were taken to our rooms immediately on arrival. Since we had our niece staying with us unexpectedly for one night, there was absolutely no problem in getting an additional cot placed in the room. The rooms are very handsomely appointed and the mini bar and the fridge are extremely well stocked. There was wi-fi in the room, that was complimentary. The bed was super-duper comfortable and they even have a pillow menu, for God's sake!! The breakfast spread was simply awesome! The concierge also helped me in getting an immediate appointment at a nearby hair salon (Asian roots). Leela definitely won us over with its luxury and service...we will definitely return!

Room Tip: They don't have family rooms, but they have rooms with inter-connecting rooms, which is what we...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
baroda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Leela Palace hotel in new Delhi is a benchmark for all other 5 star hotels. I had checked in the the hotel n the 21st of November 2012 at about 11 pm. The front office was very fast in registering and handing over the key to us and we were accompanied by the front office staff to the room. The room which was allocated to us was the executive room which was very large in size and the decor was also done up in the maharaja style. The bath rooms were quite big in size with all good amenities . The staff of the hotel were very courteous and at late night we were served a very good meal. The daily BREAFAST in the coffee shop was also very good as per 5 star standards. It's value for money to stay in this hotel and I will defiantly stay again.

Room Tip: I think executive club room on the high floor facing the lytens road is the ideal room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pease Pottage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a stunning hotel in a quieter part of Delhi in the Diplomatic area but within easy reach of all the sights.
The interior is stunning, especially the lobby where afternoon tea is served.
All restaurants are good – we ate in Le Cirque and the Indian restaurant and both were superb (although Le Cirque is on the pricey side) – small tip ref wine, at the back of both wine lists you can find the Indian wine which we had really enjoyed (although still expensive at around £30 per bottle it was approx half the price of the imported wine)
We wish we had longer than our 2 nights here and would have like to have tried the Spa – maybe next time !
We had a Royal room ! which was lavish and very in keeping to the rest of the hotel decor.

Service is outstanding although they may try a smidge too much – when we checked in (in the room) we were joined by someone providing welcome drinks, then the porter arrived with our luggage, then the Butler came along and introduced himself and provided a tour of the room, then we had turn down service. All very nice but this lasted about 25 minutes – we were just keen to relax and enjoy our room after our long journey. Perhaps it just happened this way for us and it’s not normally an issue.

You will be asked for feedback at every turn – perhaps we were just very complimentary but they should be wary of this - we were requested to complete a comment card at both meals, at check out and to date we have received a further 3 e-mail requests for overall comments on our stay. Feels like they may be trying a little too hard.

Overall, we would highly recommend this hotel – it truly is stunning and we were glad we saved it til last otherwise we would have been making comparisons during the rest of our trip!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Karnal, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

stayed there on 31st december for new year excellent property when u check in and the rooms r really good done , large in size and really well furnished ,satyed in luxurysuite , everything beautiful about the room .asked for changing the room it took them 3 hours and i was asking the front desk which said it will take 15 minutes every time i asked them at the end it took then 3 hours. need to undersatnd why .
i asked the guy at the receptionn need a car to temple at midnight but he never came back nor did he replied , went to the reception and asked then about it they refused to have any communication about it.
finally got the car but really dissapointed by the serice of some offcials compained to duty manger and also Mr karan about the same.
hope they will improve on it.

Room Tip: rooms r really very good have no words to explain u take any room i think all r very well done.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

All 5 star Hotels should use this property as a bench mark for pretty much anything and everything. We travelled to New Delhi with my family, including 2 kids (4 and 1) for an 8-night stay at the Leela Palace Hotel. Right from picking us up at the airport to checking out, virtually everything was almost perfect. And this is coming from someone who can sometimes be a bit picky and hard to please. My expectations were very high, based on recommendations from friends and reviews on this site… and they were met and exceeded.

We were greeted by the hotel upon exiting the airport, and were whisked away in a BMW X5 (would have been a 7 series, but we had too much luggage). Upon arrival to the hotel, we were greeted by the front office manager, Akhil, who was very warm and welcoming. The hotel upgraded our junior suite to a 1-bedroom, which was amazing.

Room: The room was great and spacious. The bed was probably the best I have ever slept in and the sheets were crisp and cool. I didn’t want to get out of bed. The technology was superb, right from the ipod controlled Tv to room lighting. Our floor butler was Miland, and words cant describe how great he was. I wish I could have taken him home with me. He is the reason I would request the 3rd floor.

Food: We had breakfast daily at the Qube, as the offerings were more than the club lounge and better for kids. The breakfast manager, Ankush was very helpful and accommodating along with his staff. He even arranged a cooking class for my wife to learn one of my fav dishes. One staff member who stood out was Anand, who was great with my son and kept him company while we ate breakfast. The selection was huge, and the quality was well above average. We tried the Qube restaurant one evening for dinner, but the service was very slow and the waiters were very forgetful, which was the complete opposite of breakfast. I guess having a competent manager on duty makes all the difference in the world. We didn’t end up going back for dinner.

Room Service and the restaurant Jamevar were excellent, though outrageously expensive. I don’t think I have ever seen prices like this anywhere in the world but the quality and cleanliness were there. When my wife had her cooking class, she couldn’t believe how clean the kitchen was, referring to it as immaculate.

Club Lounge: It was a privilege to get to know Viraj in the Club Lounge. When he was there (during the day), everything was absolutely perfect. He would bend over backwards to assist us in anyway he could. But when he was not (in the evening), the service was borderline terrible. This is probably the only place where I was really let down. The service would be quite slow, and it was never really busy. This should be a place of relaxation, but it was rather frustrating. At one point we waited for more than 1 hour to get our snacks and drinks, and got tired of waiting, so we left. The food selection was more continental than Indian. Being in India, my expectations and preference would have been more Indian options, but that is just a personal thought/suggestion.

Location: Great and central to everything.

Other: The bell boys were always on hand to help with your bags. Abhijit, was always very helpful and welcoming. He was great with our kids, which was nice to see.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this hotel. To be honest, I think you would be crazy not to stay here… It was truly a treat and I cannot wait to come back… This hotel has set a new standard for me, which I don’t believe can ever be met anywhere else. Thank you to all the staff for making this an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: Try to get the 3rd floor, so you can have Miland as your butler...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was wonderful experience staying at the Leela Palace, one my greatest experience in terms of facilities and services. I was feeling good seeing the room services including unlimited supply of chocolates (mmmm, I love chocolates!!!). Roam around the room, suddenly you will see a small controller to control the whole room; by the way, not finished as yet, have a shower in the bath tub, lie down and watch whatever you want lying there. yes, there's a gorgeous looking mirror TV (I named it that way!!!) just in front of you. You will always be greeted with wonderful Indian style and I'm sure you'll love it anyway.

Room Tip: Take as higher room as you can.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel is very stunning. The moment you walk in it feels like you have entered another world far away from New Delhi. The room was larger than expected and the bathrooms were the best I've seen in India. They also leave fresh cookies & chocolates in your room everyday, which is really nice. The breakfast buffet was very good which consisted of a variety of contenental and traditional choices.

These are some of the issues encounted:

1) The main issue I faced was with booking a car. I called the concierge the night before and ordered a car. However the next morning the front desk had no idea what I was talking about. We had to wait 15 mins for them to get us a cab. Same thing happened the next day. We had asked for a regular taxi to the train station but they gave us the hotel car which costs a lot more. However since we didn't have the time to wait we were forced to take the hotel car. They told us that the driver would drop us to the coach - however he pretty much dropped us off on the road.

2) The hair dryer caught on fire while I was using it. They promptly replaced it, however it is not acceptable for this to happen in a 5 star hotel.

3) On check-out the front desk tried to charge me for the airport pick-up even though it was included in my room rate. Luckily I had a confirmation for this from the hotel in my email (based on previous reviews I thought it miht be a good idea) & I showed him a print out that stated this. However, it still took some time to get us checked out because of this issue. We had a plane to catch and we cut it close since we were dealing with this on check-out. TIP: Check-out earlier than you planned to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamir_Kobrin, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for the response and sharing with us the difficulties you faced. I have reviewed your feedback with our Front Office Manager to ensure we learn from this and that communication, which is the key to the success of what we do, is effective, efficient and better handled. We will most definitely do better.

Tamir Kobrin

Been to The Leela Palace New Delhi? Share your experiences!