“A bit of sunshine in Delhi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wood Castle

Save Saved
You added Wood Castle to your Saves list
Wood Castle
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8A/7G WEA, Channa Market, | Karol Bagh, New Delhi 110005, India (Minto Road)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #14 of 594 hotels in New Delhi
alberta
“A bit of sunshine in Delhi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Three of us stayed in Delhi 3 nights, even though the city itself leaves a lot to be desired, this hostel is a bit of bright sunshine. The staff are so friendly, helpful, honest and very hard working. We were there during record cold temperatures and one of us was sick with a very bad cold, the staff brought up a great heater without us asking, and the next day one of the boys went to the Pharmacy for us to get cold supplies. The food was very good, prices a bit high, but nice homey atmosphere to eat in. Room was small and cramped for 3 of us, but we managed, overall a great stay and we would return, if we ever HAVE to return to Delhi. Good location, but it is 20 minutes to Metro not 5--by walking.

Room Tip: If more than 2 of you, ask for a bigger room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

640 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
Aurangabad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We somehow found a good place to stay in Delhi as this was by chance we entered the hotel , It was really a good experience as the stay was very comfortable and the rooms too were very neat and clean. The staff too was very interesting and cooperative. It is really a good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at the Woodcastle for 2 nights and was very impressed with the place. The rooms are excellent - very spacious with lots of light and all amenities. The location is brilliant in the karol,bagh and its very easy to travel using local transport (rickashaws, Metro etc). Its very safe and there are several good restaurants close by. The best part was the stellar hospitality of People there. They're very warm and friendly and provided us with very good advice regarding places to visit, restaurants, shopping, etc .staff were very helpful to make our stay comfortable by arranging our transportation, helping us to log on and connect to PC/Internet, and by providing information about Delhi shopping and site-seeing
The food is excellent as well. Great breakfast and to be honest I was really surprised at both the variety and the quality of the food.

This is a terrific Place and I would definitely stay there again when I'm in Delhi next.

Room Tip: our room was very clean.
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We started and finished our 3 weeks in India with woodcastle people, the four nights we stayed here were the perfect start and end to our wonderful trip.

This was my second time in Delhi, I wasn't particularly looking forward to this part of the trip, but now I can’t wait to go back!

This was all thanks to javid, at woodcastle, from the minute we arrived to the minute he left and made us feel at home, he was a fantastic, kind and caring person. The accommodation was perfect, the rooms were spacious and clean and the showers were brilliant!

We had breakfast each morning and the food was among st some of the best we experienced during our trip. (Especially the Aloo Partha!)

Every morning and evening we would have a nice chat with javid, He would kindly take the time to give us tips and advice and ask what sort of things we liked, he would then write up a list of things that she thought we would like to see and do each day, his recommendations were spot on, we visited some great shops and ate in some great places, that without javid would have been difficult to find.

I can’t recommend Woodcastle enough and look forward to visiting again soon!

Thanks javid!!!

Room Tip: Rome no 201 we stayed was beautiful, we love he room and was very clean!!
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Wood Castle is an ok hotel in terms of the standard of the room but the staff have no respect for women and need to learn how to treat female guests properly.

My experience as a single female traveller were as follows:
- hotel is run by men who hang around in the basement reception area and look at you in a very sleazy way all of the time, there are no female staff here (despite the reviews that say there are). One of them kept trying to touch my arm whenever I was near him and I ended up avoiding the reception area as much as possible
- staff pressure you to take their tours, which are over-priced and i wouldn't have felt safe doing if the drivers were of the same calibre as the hotel staff
- rooms are basic, but at least clean, but I couldn't sleep as there were dogs barking outside all night. I have no idea why reviews mention '5-star quality', there was nothing above 3-star quality here, and that's being generous!
- breakfast consists of basic toast and stale cornflakes
- hotel is located down a narrow, unlit street, not that safe for going out after dark on your own, rickshaw drivers also have trouble finding it

Overall I didn't feel comfortable staying at Wood Castle. The price was ok for a basic room, definitely 2-star adn no more, but the staff really put me off and made my stay unpleasant to say the least.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in oct for about 5 nights in total. We had booked an airport pickup which was great after our long flight. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the very friendly bunch of staff who treated us so well throughout our stay and made us feel so welcome. The food is amazing!!!!
We booked a trip through the hotel which was excellent value for money, we had the best driver!! He looked after us and even taught us some useful Hindi!!

The hotel is about 10 minute walk from a cool market which unfortunatley we only discovered on our last day!!
Didn't feel unsafe atall in the area.

WHEN we return to Delhi we will definatley be staying with our new friends at woodcastle.
Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The service at Wood Castle was very poor quality. Over a period of 3 days it was consistently poor and I was even tempted to change hotels.

Such an example of the bad service was:

I asked if the main person at reception could recommend any places to eat, he just said go for a walk near by, you will see for yourself.

Whenever I needed something, such as a map, food/beverage I felt like I was asking a favour. This made me feel that I could not request the services on offer.

There were also unnecessary comments made repeatedly by staff, in a very condescending manner.

Also, the 'continental breakfast' consisted of some toast and 2 eggs in a bowl.

Despite the lets downs, the room was actually pretty good (i.e. clean and a good shower) but no wifi inside the room. If you wanted wifi you had to go down to the 'basement' reception area where 3-5 of the staff loitered awkwardly around.

The poor attitude of the staff and average food baffles me as to why this place is highly rated. I am sure there are better places to stay in Delhi, it does not deserve the 4/5 (very good rating).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wood Castle? Share your experiences!