“Small hotel in New Delhi” 3 of 5 stars

Iris Park Hotel
A-1/23&-24 | Safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi 110029, India (Hauz Khas)   |
Ranked #94 of 608 Hotels in New Delhi
Baltimore, Maryland
“Small hotel in New Delhi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed a the Iris Park for three nights for a conference in New Delhi. All in all, I was satisfied with the stay, though I might not have picked the place if I was given the choice.

The hotel was clean enough, had some style, flat-screen TVs, and decent wifi (which may be included depending on your tariff). They were small, though, and like many newer hotels with designer-style lighting, it can be a chore just to figure out how to turn the lights on and off because there are nearly a dozen switches arrayed throughout the room. Also, you may receive mosquito repellent in your room when you arrive - I found no mosquitoes (this was November), but it's worth noting.

The restaurant was ok, but I should say that unlike other reviewers, I had no problem getting breakfast first thing. I also was able to get bottles of "big juice" from room service, though they were labeled "Kingfisher" for some reason ;-).

One other little downer is that being small, some taxi and autorickshaw drivers do not know the location. So consult with the hotel staff on what landmarks you can use to guide them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
aashishkr, General Manager at Iris Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

I am pleased to share with you that in our category of hotels, we are perhaps one of the very few establishments that offer 24 hour full-menu room service as opposed to the skeletal services offered by our neighbors. We also have nearly done for the past year or more, offered to prepare and or pack a partial breakfast for guests that need to leave early (to catch a flight) at no additional charge)

Yes, I agree that it can be a task to find one's way with the switches. Though one can do precious little about it at this stage, I have, after your review, asked my Housekeeping Team to offer a brief introduction to all guests when checking them into the newer rooms of the East Wing.

Mosquito Repellent:

One decided to offer these as standard with to each guest after the Dengue Fever broke out in New Delhi a couple of months ago. Until the Winter temperatures do not drop sufficiently as to cause a complete cessation in the spread of the disease, we supply a tube of the ointment to every guest every few days.

We understand that though the locality is very centrally located, one can occasionally get a taxi / auto that doesn't know the way. Anticipating this, we provide Landmarks, Driving Directions and Lat. Long. Locators in the text below the signature of our email address. (The text reads as:

((Landmark / Driving Directions:

Iris Park Hotel is on the street that connects Bhikaiji Cama Place (Africa Avenue) to Kamal Complex. (500 meters from Africa Avenue, 500 meters from Kamal Complex.)

Latitude, Longitude: 28.5657414°, 77.1956075°))

We thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and look forward to serving you again.

Aashish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I based my choice to book an initial three nights at Iris Park Hotel solely on the fact that its manager cares enough to leave comments that address reviewers' concerns. Customer care has to be paramount for any business in the services industry.

Since this was my first trip to India, what was also important was that they would send a car to pick me up from the airport. In one of the manager's responses on Tripadvisor, he mentioned that a complimentary airport pick-up would be available for any guests that book for at least three nights. Initially, it appeared that not all of the staff were aware of this, but, I insisted and they were very apologetic about the whole thing.

The hotel has quite modern fixtures - touch-sensitive elevator controls, key-card access locks to the rooms, touch-sensitive doorbell / housekeeping indicator e.t.c. The lobby area is spacious, clean and quiet enough for anyone who just wants to relax, have a light read, or check their e-mail.

Even though I had requested for a single bed, I was told that only rooms with double beds were available. The staff were very apologetic and had one of the housekeeping staff to push the beds together and re-arrange the furniture as best he could.

The food was very good. I had the butter chicken, tandoori chicken, chicken manchurian (not all on the same night) and I must say that they were all well prepared.

One Tripadvisor reviewer mentioned pooling in the shower and, unfortunately, I must say that I experienced this as well. However, it usually had mostly cleared up by mid-day.

The hotel staff were always very helpful. On one my days out sightseeing, my auto ("tuk-tuk") driver had a song playing off of his MP3 player that I thought was pretty good. Unfortunately, he had no idea what the name of the song was or who sang it. Luckily, I was able to memorize (poorly) a small section of the chorus. When I got back to the hotel, braving untold embarrassment, I (poorly) rendered the short piece of the track to a slighly bemused housekeeping attendant. He wasn't quite sure what I was on about, but, his colleague instantly recognized the song I was trying desperately to sing and provided me with the song title and the name of the artist. That song would go on to be the soundtrack of my trip.

I was so impressed by my stay that I decided to extend my booking by two nights.

If I ever have cause to visit New Delhi again, I would definitely consider staying at Iris Park Hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
aashishkr, General Manager at Iris Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to post a very well-written and detailed review.

One is glad that you has a satisfying trip to India and it seems from your writing that your trip was a very interesting and colorful one!

We at Iris Park differentiate ourselves from the rest of the establishments by offering a 24 hour (nearly) full-menu kitchen so that the weary traveler does not have to bother about being restricted to a sandwich and soup in case he comes back after 11 PM.

Also, we maintain our own cars (we have 4) so that right from your Arrival Transfer including your Local Running and Sight Seeing up to the Departure Transfer, we provide our services on a turnkey basis.

I thank you for choosing Iris Park Hotel to serve you and I look forward to meeting you on your next visit!

Best regards,

Aashish Kumar Roy
Hyderabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Water stagnation in the shower room was quite irritable during my stay in the hotel. As the conference hall, highbiscus was under (cellar) mobile connections were very poor. The diet, especially lunch/dinner should contain green vegetables and leafy vegetables, everyday eating paneer and potato was boring. Further, breakfast was available as complementary which I came to know at the end of the programme. The staff should inform such facilities at the time of checking-in.

I donot know that swimming pool and spa were available in the hotel. The hotel authorities could have told us while check-in itself. Like this, if critically reviewed there were some issues but overall it is ok

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post a review.

The matter of the shower room stagnation (pooling) has resurfaced (we got it settled last year) and the affected rooms have been blocked and are being treated.

The matter pertaining to the weak mobile signals is also a genuine one and we have, over a month ago, applied for a signal booster and the company has sent its personnel last week to conduct a technical survey. One expects the phone signal to be resolved in fifteen days or a maximum of one month.

Menu: The conference Menus are pre-decided by your management tam with inputs from our Banquets Manager, as and if required. Your conference group's lunch / dinner menus were designed keeping the instruction from your office staff well before the conference started. We were asked to provide green salad apart from one green vegetable, one non-vegetarian dish, one potato preparation and one paneer (cottage cheese) preparation. In addition, we have a reasonably exhaustive menu card and Conference Delegates, like all other guests, are free to order individually from our A la' Carte Menus.

That the breakfast is complimentary was also clearly communicated to your Conference Coordinator (at your office) through an email dated Friday, October 12, 2012. It is reasonable to expect your colleagues to share this information with you. We do, however, mention coffee shop , its location and the Timing of the Breakfast Service. (This is also mentioned on the Key Card Jacket)

Swimming Pool and Spa:
I would like to enlighten you that our Hotel does not have a Swimming Pool and Spa since the time the hotel was built. According to local law, the street on which our establishment is located is not cleared for permission to build Swimming Pools. I think that whoever informed you that Iris Park Hotel has a Swimming Pool was surely intending to play a prank. Also, during your stay at the Hotel, any person in our staff could have informed you of this fact.

I trust that my points above help to clarify the points addressed in your review.

I look forward to your pleasant stay the next time.

New Delhi, Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Wonderful experience with even more wonderful people around..
Team Iris Rocks!! Very humble, very helpful.. Thanking all for the support
Will recomend each and one to select Hotel Iris for a easy and comfortable stay..

Dear NLR Team,

We, the staff and management, would like to express our sincere thanks to you for hosting your conference at Iris Park Hotel for the second year.

We are proud to be associated with your organization in its noble cause of eradicating leprosy.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Nothing huge to complain about - but a few little things, like the staff not always being very useful (don't even bother asking for advice on the neighborhood), the breakfast not ready for early risers, and the staff not being clear that I was going to have to pay extra for the machine coffee at breakfast (IMHO, definitely not worth 77 Rupee, just stick to the instant!)

The worst thing was the internet was down for 2 days, but I don't think that was their fault so much as the service provider. The best parts? Probably the complimentary snack basket in the room, which was a nice touch. I would stay here again but I would also be open to trying something different in the same price range next time I'm in Delhi.

Room Tip: Ask for something not on the street side.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

I express surprise and regret at the fact that you did not get your breakfast early. (We serve breakfast from 0700 hours to 1000 hours) and as we have nearly done for the past year plus, we prepare a partial breakfast for guests that need to leave early to catch a flight at no charge)

I am also saddened to learn that our desk staff was not helpful with your query regarding the neighborhood.

Our Machine Coffee is promoted as chargeable (through the medium of table-top tent cards). One is surprised at the fact that staff wasn't clear or could not clearly communicate the same, I have got the machine re-installed in the back-area so that no guest ought to mistake it for as a complimentary service. (It is a tad complicated to operate so we thought that the same may be placed in public view)

We use the equipment and coffee mix (capsules) sourced from Lavazza Coffee Company through its Indian Subsidiary. Our staff was trained by them and these are sealed capsules to be inserted into the machine so there is no possibility of a non-uniform taste.

The pricing: @ INR 77/- per cup, our pricing of the particular type of coffee variant was advised by the representatives of the company basis the prevalent price in other hotels of the same grade and as per the prevalent prices in Lavazza'a Coffee Outlets in New Delhi.

The Internet: Yes, I must admit that an internet failure is very disappointing. In this case we were changing from the low speed 512 Kbps connection to an upgraded 2 Mbps connection and the service provider had suspended operations for almost two days.

Though most service providers in this industry are susceptible to over-the-top reviews, I would like to share with you that some of the reviews of our hotel that may evoke a skeptical response to first time reader as to their authenticity are the result of around 500 Nights stayed by our guests during the last 3 years (off-hand, I can recall three,perhaps four such persons together who may account for the nearly 500 nights that I allude to). With any relationship, I'm sure you will agree that there is an easily perceptible difference between people we interact with for a few times versus those with whom we interact with over a few hundred times.

I look forward to your next visit so that I may get the opportunity to meet and interact with you over a cup of coffee and snacks.

With regards,

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The place is centrally located and also has a good access from Greenpark metro. Near to Bikaji Cama and close to good restaurant and food joints! They have an amazing lobby for meetings with your guests / biz partner! the food, although is limited, is great. The tea, esp, is superb & every guest liked it! They have good conference to house 40 & 100+ people.

Room Tip: Choose the room in the front wing, closer to reception area..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dehradun, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 days, during my office trip. the facilities are good, rooms are comfortable , clean and staff are vry cordial and cooperative. Food , especially breakfast was very good. In evenings we could go out to nearby Rajinder ka Dhaba, just a stone throw away for its famous non veg tandoors etc. The Lobby is really good and ideal for business meetings.
only draw back - you may not get a good view from room , but thats what is the case with most of delhi Hotels , and what view can you really expect in Delhi??
Overall value for money and recomended for especially business trips.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Iris Park Hotel? Share your experiences!