“You'll find it hard to get a place as comfortable as this” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Urban Ashram

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Urban Ashram
You added Urban Ashram to your Saves list
D-12, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India   |
Ranked #359 of 921 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“You'll find it hard to get a place as comfortable as this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I have stayed in a number of hotels/hostels around the world and I can confidently say Urban Ashram is place with a personal touch putting individual customer service first.
Location: Great location in Haus Khas near the main shopping street. A bank is right opposite which is useful and it is a 30 minute walk or 10 minute rickshaw ride away from AIIMS where I was working.
Cleanliness: Overall a clean B&B. Clean towels provided everyday as they should be for a B&B of this class. The fridges in the main dining room and outside my room could have done with a clean.
Comfort: The room I had was very homely. Clean and tastefully decorated. The en-suite bathroom is impressive. Check your room before you get it as speaking to other residents not all had as ‘nice’ a room as mine. Delicious breakfast was served everyday after a wake-up call made by Dipak. Purified water is available for free which is essential during the soaring temperatures. The room I stayed in had a fan and AC which kept the room cool enough to get a good nights rest. A nice tough is that Madhu has all the menu of the restaurants in the locality. This makes ordering a home-delivery effortless, just tell Madhu want you want and he kindly orders it for you!
Service: The owner Madhu is a very friendly man who has become my friend. As he will tell you, he ‘runs a tight ship’ and on the deck is Dipak who is key in the smooth operation of this B&B. Madhu will go out of his way to help his customers. For example he kindly arranged the shipping of all the presents I bought in India.
Extras: The WiFi was accessible from throughout the ground floor where I stayed. It is free, fast and very reliable – no problems at all.
Security: There is a friendly 24 hour security guard outside the B&B. However, the safe in the room did not work.
Downsides: Washing is not included and costs extra. The offered tea and coffee is not free. It took me two weeks to get the key to my room. Even in the most basic shoe-string budget hostels provide this. This was overlooked and I hope this was just a one-off problem with administration/staffing.
A very comfortable stay. I would without hesitation stay here if I was in the area again. I have never experienced service as friendly and helpful as what is provided at Urban Ashram. For this reason it serves to be a role model for many B&Bs. If you stay here, Madu will ensure you get the most of your stay in Delhi. This B&B is far from cheap, but having slummed it for some time in Old Delhi is provided the homely relaxation I needed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
memaddy, Manager at Urban Ashram, responded to this review, May 26, 2010
hello Ankeet. it was an absolute pleasure to have you as our guest, it was indeed an honor and privilege. let me please nitpick on few things
a) i run this place as Host/Innkeeper and i don't own this place.Mr.Vishal Kapoor owns this place.
b) the coffee/tea served before/with breakfast is free but not during the course of the day.
c) laundry is not free anywhere on earth so we can't provide it either.
d) about the key part. my sincere apologies . i take all the blame on me.
e) about "not all rooms ....... " i wish you had seen all my rooms , i agree and inform before giving the rooms that 2 of my rooms have smaller bathrooms. so ......
last but not least you are a wonderful human being and we look forward to your next visit to India and Urban Ashram. I promise all the shortcomings pointed out by you will be fixed ASAP

Guwahati, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

Would'nt hv been a part of ds grt place had i nt been informed by my frn...n m so glad dt i realy stepped into ds wonderful world of urban ashram...Besides the grt Madhusudan sir,who took evry inch of trouble to make us feel comfortable n homely,the rooms were grt....spacious,lively,elegant,colourful,comfortable and too beautiful...the wasrooms too were so pretty with every elegant mechanism....The staff too was so dedicated n lively...came to our service evn at odd hours,weneva we wantd......n the morning breakfast..it wz olwz so full..got evrythn i actualy wantd to hv..itz so lyk at home...with itz clean atmosphere n colourful movie wall hangings...Met Vishal sir too who was equally entertaining n dedicated and a vry helpful person...The location too is wonderful..with the markets n restaurants in a walkable distance...In short,d experience of staying in urban ashram is something really really differnt n i look forward to many more stays there...Ds welcoming place is somethn ppl really willl crave to visit once dey become a part of it...the joy n crave is everlasting...thank u urban ashram...for making my visit so wonderful and unforgettable...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Having lived in Delhi years ago I knew we wanted more comfort than in a cheap Paharganj travellers hang-out but something less ruinously expensive and more homely than a five-star hotel . . . so this place was a real find. VERY well located on a quiet street in a leafy South Delhi neighbourhood where you can potter about without any hassles. Good cheap places to eat nearby (such as Evergreens in Green Park), sightseeing in places like Hauz Khas you can do on foot and still only an 80 rupee autorickshaw ride from Connaught Circus. The hotel is spotlessly clean, has comfy beds, nice big rooms and aircon - plus internet and local phones on tap in the living room. The owner is friendly and helpful and he offers discounts for longer stays - we came here twice in one trip and got a discount for a longer stay than anticipated due to the volcanic ash cloud. Comfy even in a 44 degree heatwave! Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
chamonix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Good spot. A little less crazy part of town. Very close to Hauz Kauz an excellent spot for shopping, ruins, park, and restaurants. An easy trip by rikshaw gets you to metro or inner city.

The manager is very thoughtful. Particularly conscientious to the new visitor.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Urban Ashram is in perfectly-located and not-overrun Hauz Khas, has a clean, comfy, casual atmophere and a great host in "Matty". It was a convenient and affordable stay for me. This is where I will stay again, and also tell all my friends to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

We had a really good time with my friends.
This is the place that I'm looking for. This is totally different place while I'm staying in India.
Good facilities and smile service.

You can use fast wifi internet service and nice & neat breakfast.
You'd rather come here than hotel. Fantastic location and reasonable price.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

The service at this place was totally amazing. Madhusudan went above and beyond to help me during my time in Delhi. This is also one of the few places I stayed in all of India where they do not try to make money off your cab fares! Instead Madhusudan went out of his way to negotiate great rates for me and got me a metered cab to the airport. I paid half the price getting to the airport from Urban Ashram as I did when I stayed at On The House B&B, which charged exorbitant rates -- even though the distance from Urban Ashram to the airport was longer! This hotel also had one of the comfiest mattresses I stayed on in my time in India, as well as the fastest internet connection. Oh, and the internet is free, which was great!

• Liked — Super service!
  • Stayed February 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Urban Ashram? Share your experiences!