“small rooms good facilities” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel The Royal Plaza
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Ashoka Rd, New Delhi 110001, India   |
Ranked #184 of 608 Hotels in New Delhi
Balsall Common
“small rooms good facilities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed for two nights at the start of our holiday in a room on the 5th floor. The room seemed cramped and dark, due in part to the dark wood panelling and partly because the decor was tired and in need of re-decoration. Our second stay for one night at the end of our journey through India was far better. This time we were on the 19th floor, and although the room size was the same, the decor was much brighter. The facilities in the hotel were excellent and the public areas were well looked after. Some of the staff could benefit from basic "customer care" training and remembering that without paying guests, they would have no job! Others were wonderful in comparison.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
BC, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We travel to India every year and have a hard time finding a hotel in Delhi we like at a reasonable price in a central location. So this time we thought we'd try a higher priced hotel and treat ourselves to some luxury at the end of our journey. This hotel was trying to hard to be fancy in the lobby (totally strange and ostentatious decor). When we got to our room after a fairly slow (but reasonably quick for India) check in, it was TINY, too cramped for two people. Smaller than hotels for less money in Hong Kong. The decor was again trying too hard and not succeeding. The linens on the bed were smudged with dirt, the bathroom's ceiling and parts of the floor were dented and peeling. Garbage can was plastic and icky, the toilet was small and standardly uncomfortable, the amenities were cheap (i.e. bright blue shampoo and yellow conditioner) and the towels were rough and dingy grey. Internet was charged at a premium for your own lap top. And when you check out there is both regular tax and luxury tax (which was not stipulated when we booked). It's one thing being taxed on luxury when you are experiencing luxury.

The service was generally pretty good but the restaurant was overpriced (and there was never any napkins on the table at breakfast). We checked out for a 4 am flight obviously before breakfast and no discount was offered for missing our included breakfasts (which we had to pay tax on). Quite frankly I was embarrassed to be staying there and felt it a complete waste of money (especially given the country it's situated in). Plus if you are travelling independently be prepared to be charged at least double for any transportation coming and going from here than you would be charged otherwise.

If you are a four star hotel then you should have four star standards, period. Not sort of four star standards I guess for India. Never staying there or anywhere like it in India again.

Oshawa, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

When I first walked into the lobby, I was overwhelmed. With antique marble Victorian statues, painted ceilings and centrally located receiption area, bar and marble everywhere, I was thinking, "Wow!".

Then I got my room.

Yikes. There was enough mold in the bathroom to commence making penicillin; it was a smoking room (no non-smoking rooms), that I could not even sleep in; broken mirrors, stained carpets (circa 1972), furniture that had skid marks on it, t.v. that did not work, dirty sheets, dust that could grow crops, no shower curtain, noisy, it was awful.

And Service was even worse.

Rated a four star, hoping for a five star, it is not even worthy of two stars. Changed room, that was infested with bed bugs and woke up with bite marks; all I was told was that "We have won awards". It was a horrible, horrible experience.

Except for Preeti, Duty Manager, everyone else was incompetent.

Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

The check-in was too slow, guess system problems. Further, the staff at front desk does not speak or understand good english. They didnt introduce us to hotel facilities like complementary breakfast and other facilities offered by the hotel.

The rooms were small and do not justify the tarrif charged.

I never used the minibar but was being charged for some thing I didnt consume. This didnt make the check-out great either.

Complete waste of money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Ramada Plaza. 19 Ashoke Road , Delhi.
This is a very popular heritage hotel and relatively cheap given that it is in the heart of Delhi.
I arrived at 1am, to find the single room with king bed that I had booked unavailable, because they were fully booked. I found this strange as I had booked the room two months earlier. Nevertheless I was happy to take whatever they had, as I needed sleep.

The room was a club room on the 9th floor, but it was very small. Just a shower, no bath. There was no mention at all of any club facilities. There was a Club Room, but it was locked.

In the morning I asked for an iron and ironing board. When it came the ironing board had not been checked by the housekeeping staff, and clearly could not have been used recently, as it had one foot missing, so could not stand up. The porter very kindly took it away and did bring back one that actually stood up and could, theoretically, be used. Its surface, however, was not flat. It was like ironing over a ploughed field.

The TV remote could turn the TV on and off. But it could not change channels. I was very grateful when a kind maintenance person came and fixed it.

The username and password given for the internet did not work. A very kind IT person came and gave me a new one, which did work.

There was very little light in the room and the table lamp did not work. Trying to find out why it was clear that the plug did not fit into the wall socket well. To use it, it was necessary to fiddle with the wall socket until a connection was made.

I looked forward to room service to relax after this. The tenderloin steak was average, but the bread rolls that came with it were a bit of a challenge as they were as hard as concrete.

So to bed and a good night’s sleep. The only issue was the noise of the night club which would keep the dead awake.

Breakfast in the morning was interesting. It was busy and the waiters were clearly doing their best to deal with the throng. So I waited in the egg que for 10 minutes and asked for a 5 minutes hard boiled egg. “Something that should not be too demanding” I thought to myself. Twenty minutes later I went back and the cook said it would be coming soon. So I sat down again. Five minutes later I asked the senior waiter for a simple 5 minute hard boiled egg. He very kindly brought me two five minutes later. Now that was a triumph! And it was perfect.

The next day he remembered this and immediately ordered a 5 minute hard boiled egg. Two were produced within 10 minutes, but they were very runny- certainly not hard boiled. Two more were delivered later and the waiter said that they had been boiled for seven minutes, but they were nothing like the perfect egg produced the previous day. The senior waiter brought the chef, Mr Prandeep to meet with me. I said “thank you for the perfect egg you made me yesterday. But the one you made today were very runny and not to the same quality. Why was that?” He did not provide an answer, but simply said “would you like another one?” Having by now digested two runny “hard boiled eggs” I declined his kind invitation.

The internet is not the most expensive. It would be very nice, having paid, to be able to use it. But again and again in the evening the signal strength would vary and “server timed out” messages would appear. Reported to the IT person who came and looked at it, which was very kind of him, but then he went away and failed to return. So was unable to do any work through this internet service.

The good thing about the hotel is its location and the relative cheapness of its prices compared to the Taj, Intercontinental or Meridien. Any potential guest reading this far will draw their own conclusions about this hotel, and whether it is worth experiencing the fun of living iin a 2011 version of Fawlty Towers.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Given the reviews on T.A. I was not very happy to be booked for 4 nights at the Ramada Plaza but had not much choice as most other hotels were fully booked. But in fact it turned out it was OK - keeping in mind it is probably half price the Oberoi or the Taj. I had a superior room and understand from my colleague it was a good idea not to take the cheapest one. My room was very small, the carpet was not spotless, the towels were grey-ish, but for the rest it was comfortable and clean. The wifi was not cheap but worked very well . They do not seem to have real non smoking rooms - I think they just use a spray and you can't open the window. There are two restaurants for breakfast and the biggest one has a good choice of fresh food. I do not recommend the airport pick (too expensive and a bit freaky).
There is a Shangri-La literally next door with two very good restaurants (one casual and one higher scale) and it's very convenient if you don't feel like eating at the Ramada in the evening and don't want to spend time in the tarffic jam.

Sendai, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I purchased 24 hr of hotel wi-fi. The connection was very slow at first, and finally failed altogether (when I needed it most) late in the evening. I called the business centre, and they said a staffer would come to my room. Before the business centre closed, however, no-one appeared at my room. The next morning, when the business centre reopened - while my account had about 12 hours remaining, I was offered a new wi-fi account. This worked at first, but then it too also quickly failed. I gave up.
Upon checkout, I had been billed for both 24-hour connections. The front desk staffer had no motivation whatsoever to assist me in resolving my dissatisfaction with this - he said there was nothing he could do. I promised to write this review, and he responded by just shrugging.
Also, one breakfast was included in my bill - despite the fact that breakfast was already included in the room rate. I did not notice this until after I had left.
Staff eslewhere in the hotel were exceptionally helpful and friendly, in particular staff at the front of the lobby (in arranging taxi, and so on). However, regrettably, all that goodwill was marred by my experience with the indifferent clerk.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel The Royal Plaza? Share your experiences!