“worst experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Raj Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Raj Hotel to your Saves list
The Raj Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8494-95, Arakashan Road | Paharganj, New Delhi 110055, India   |
Ranked #147 of 598 Hotels in New Delhi
Dublin, Ireland
“worst experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I lived the worst experience of my life in this hotel. The staff is very rude and it seems that they have never heard of hygiene. The rooms are very dirty, as well as the loby, there is lot of noise and drunk turists. There is no security in this hotel and the entire area is very scary. The staff, as well as the managers are never ready to listen to your complains and they are not ready to offer any support. If you need warm or hot water you need to wait for more than 1 hour and a very strange experince was to call the reception to ask for some help with the lights in the room and after confirming they will come to check, they came the next morning!!! after more than 12 hours! Horrible experince!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Mumbai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The raj hotel was good enough but the service was very terrible and behaviour of the emplyees was even worse . Never coming to this hotel again . The tarriff according to the hotel standards is very high .

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The website pictures are not demonstrating the reality. We arrived there, we could not believe what waited for us. In less than 3 minutes after check in; we checked out with the speed of the light!!
The cleaner is a little boy with ripped clothes, who is doing "some" cleaning up and down the stairs, he will ask for money as many times he will see you; he won`t even leave the room, until you won`t give him again something.
What`s with the bucket in that extremely mediocre room you call bathroom? Half of the tiles and walls were bathing in bacteria's and black mould!
What`s up with that "security" on the door of the room? The floors of the room were full of footprints from prior our arrival. No AC, only old smells caught up in this expired room. The location of the place is shocking. The staff..well, most of them were busy staring.

Room Tip: I would look at other accomodations.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangalore, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

THe hotel was mediocre. The staff were rude. Even to avail basic facility like a bucket & mug in your rest room, we had to call reception thrice. Booked a A/C room. Was alloted a room with A/C not working. Useless service in overall.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dandenong, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

With a few minor upgrades this could move from an average to good hotel. Bit disappointed in the quality of cleaning services, as the shower walls haven't been scrubbed in years. The air conditioner in the dining room and reception were not working, there were no knobs on the air conditioner in the room, and during our three day stay there were no attempts at any servicing of the room....so I suppose it moves from average to poor now...sorry.....it is in a good spot though close to New Delhi railway ststion

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I am a 20 year old Australian who was travelling to New Delhi alone for the first time and in all honesty I wasn't too impressed with the service,

When I got to the hotel it was 2 am in the morning and one of the men insisted on bringing my bag up to the room - less than 20 metres away up an elevator might I add which I was fine with considering I had been at airports all day until the man asked me for money for bringing my bag up. I get that tipping seems to be a thing in India - I just felt that it was really rude considering the time and the fact that he carried it up an elevator.

Due to thee area that the hotel was in, I didn't really have a choice for food for dinner other than eating at the kitchen at the hotel. The food was extremely average and I was really worried about getting sick from the food, I ate dinner here every night and unfortunately on my last night I ate Rogan josh that was cooked in the kitchen and I got really sick with Delhi Belly... Still even 8 days later I am still really sick and it ruined the rest of my holiday.

Also, each day due worries about being a single traveller, I ordered taxis from the hotel to drive me around everyday and paid about 6500-8500 rupees per day, Because of the fact I had the same driver for 2 days in a row he told me that the reason it was more expensive was because the hotel was taking a cut out of the fee for the booking so effectively I was paying the hotel a tip and well as for the taxi fair- not cool.

ESPECIALLY when one day I decided to go to Rishikesh which was a great day despite the fact that I paid for an air-conditioned car. The 19 year old driver 'Ram' did not use the air-conditioning once during the 14 hours of driving (7 hours each way because of crazy Indian traffic) and it was a 48 degree day! Also the car broke down 4 times, like literally 3 on the way there once on the way back to the point where he had to push the car off the road and use my water all 4 times to put into the car.

Also, and what disgusted me the most is the fact that I told him I was married and he still kept trying to hold my hand! At one point he actually pulled the car over and tried to kiss me and I went crazy and started screaming at him! I was meant to get back to the hotel around 7pm that night at 10pm I still wasn't back. The hotel called Ram on his mobile and he screened the call at first and when they rung back I said who is it and he said the hotel and finally he picked up and passed me to the phone to which I said I was still alive. When I got back to the hotel I wanted to complain about the treatment that day and what had happened but I just got a quick greeting and they went back to doing their thing - no one wanted to listen...

I honestly feel that when you are travelling alone and being a 20 year old Australian female you expect a bit more than this. I hate being screwed over money wise and I really hate the fact that I got sick off the food - Delhi belly is awful and I really wish I hadn't eaten the food but because of being located in a scary part of New Delhi I was told not to go out at night just in case something bad happened. I overheard a number of others staying at the hotel complaining about the food because the waiter didn't speak English and the orders kept being wrong.

the Room itself in the hotel was okay despite the fact there wasn't any toilet paper or towels etc. But the elevator actually broke the day after I got there which made life in 50 degree heat even worse. And I swear the mattress was made of stone.

I probably would say stay somewhere much nice - India is a cheap place so you can do a lot nicer than this on a budget

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
New Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay with your family or business purposes. Reception and other staff is very cordial and hospitality is wonderful. Rooms are clean and well decorated. Food was very good; quality and taste wise. I recommend to choose it on your next visit. It's complete value for money.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Raj Hotel? Share your experiences!