“Why is there so much hype about this place?” 3 of 5 stars

The Amber - New Delhi
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   198 Sukhdev Vihar, New Delhi 110025, India   |
Ranked #41 of 608 Hotels in New Delhi
Geneva, Switzerland
“Why is there so much hype about this place?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

The place doesn't measure up to the rave reviews it seems to get. It is far from the airport. Interiors of rooms are fine, but the window is so small as to make it feel like sleeping in a basement. Service, quality of amenities just doesn't quite make the grade of a 'great' hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

Amber is one of a kind in Delhi. Quiet, contemporary, comfortable, clean. It excels in all areas. Mukesh the manager and all of the staff are very friendly and make you feel right at home. There have been very few hotels anywhere that I have actually sat down in the lobby and engaged in conversation. The room decor is very modern and the bathrooms are spacious with all the up-to-date amenities that you expect. Food is very good and there is a nice rooftop garden with a great view of the Lotus Temple at sunset. I stayed in two different rooms on front and back ends of a trip to Kathmandu and both visits were equally impressive. The staff were very flexible in accommodating my 3 and 4 o'clock early morning wakeups for the airport. Its location in a residential neighborhood is both a pro and a con -- great respite from the constant honking horns of Delhi's traffic, but also hard for drivers to find. Prices are very reasonable compared to the "big name" hotels in Delhi and you will get equal or better service. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

The amber was an absolutely beautiful place for us to stay upon our arrival in Delhi. The hotel was exceptionally clean and well appointed. The beds were firm and the bedding was very tasteful, as was the furniture in the room. (Note: The showers are fantastic! Great water pressure.) Mukesh, the general manager, and his staff could not have been more welcoming. They made us feel right at home...even when we arrived at midnight! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Delhi. The only negative was that we couldn't stay longer!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

I stayed at the Amber for only a 3 nights, but wished I would have stayed there much longer. The hotel was immaculate, very modern and very well appointed, but more than anything, the customer service was incredible. I forgot my hair brush and the staff actually went out for me and bought me one at 11pm at night. On two mornings, I also had to leave at 5:30am and they were able to accomodate me for breakfast and even sent me along with some Indian specialties for later in the day. The owner and managers are very good and highly responsive to any requests you might have. The only downside for me was lack of hot water on 2 of the days I was there, but I came to find that very hot water in India is rare even when staying at the best hotels. All in all, I loved this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

After spending just over a week in the deepest sub-incontinent living in villages, traipsing through farms and battling 6-inch cobras, I needed a quiet and hassle free place to stay in Delhi as I caught up with friends, reviewed footage for a documentary I'm making, and chilled out. Indian hospitality is where the guest is king. This seems to be The Amber's motto.

I arrived in Delhi via the domestic terminal...the Amber only offers transfers from the International terminal. They suggested the best way is to take advantage of the pre-paid taxi rank (approx 230 rupees to Sukhdev Vihar compared to over 1000 if the hotel arrange it for you).

The rooms were very clean, but the windows don't open. The roof terrace is nice but there is no gym. The food was good...tho rather expensive for India/Delhi if you're into the 60 rupees for a chicken biryani schtick.

Now...the service. I acquired some sari fabric on my shoot. I casually asked the people at the desk where I could get a top and a petticoat for it. They not only took me to a tailor at a local market to get measured up, but collected the gear and gave me an adhoc sari wrapping lesson.

I was having lunch when the boss wandered over and introduced himself. By the conversation's end, I was his guest to one of his friends' pre-wedding parties.

Everything I could've possibly wanted was catered for. The only issue I had was that no taxi driver or tuk tuk man knows where this place is. I'd suggest a little map printed on their calling card to help guests out.

The boss said he's up against hotels like the Metropolitan. In terms of size and facilities, they can't compare. So where they have to excel is in service. The rooms are well-appointed, the rain showers are amazing. And its one of the few hotels in Delhi to have an environmental commitment to solar energy and reusing rainwater. Having stayed in many hotels around the world...mostly boutique ones...The Amber is, so far, the best. So if you can afford it and you don't really want the impersonal service you get with the bigger chains, come here. Stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Sheffield, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

This was our second stay in Delhi within a fortnight and in comparison with Old Delhi where we first stayed the Amber was a breath of fresh air (literally)!. The hotel is situated in a quiet location which is mostly residential, so not really an area with lots of amenities on its doorstep, but with thousands of autorickshaws in Delhi this is not a problem.

The hotel is immaculately clean, all white marble and over 3 floors with a fantastic roof top terrace with grass and rattan furniture, making it the ideal place to relax in the evening with a meal and view across of the city.

The staff are all excellent. You receive an exceptionally warm welcome when you arrive and are all helpful throughout your stay. We were even allowed a late checkout to fit in around our flight times meaning that we could get the most out of our last day in India.

The restaurant is situated on the ground floor near the lobby, so not the most relaxing of spaces however you can take meals on the roof which we would certainly recommend. The menu is varied with Indian, Chinese and Western food. The food is of very good quality, good sized portions and reasonably priced. The complimentary breakfast is adequate (but have to admit we did not get up very early so did not benefit from it as much as we perhaps could). The waiting staff are all excellent. What is particularly nice at this hotel is that the staff are happy to engage in conservation, something that we found is not so forthcoming in the larger hotels in India, this gave a much more personal feel to the place.

The room was very clean, nicely decorated and the beds were extremely comfortable. Whilst the rooms do have windows ours was frosted glass, so do not expect to get a view, but you do get natural light , and the roof terrace more than makes up for this. The bathroom was very good, nice large walk in shower and again all marble. Certainly clean.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a quieter and cleaner location in the city.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Amber is located in the east side of Delhi in a quiet neighborhood that depicts the normal day to day life of India through its large window in each room. This is a medium rate boutique hotel where the rooms were at a standard of any high end European or American hotel. The room was clean and the interior was tastefully done where each furniture item was selected with thought and a theme in mind. The bathroom was exceptionally good. Rooms carried all state of the art equipments. I must comment specifically on the food from the Amber kitchen. It was better than all the locations we were recommended to eat during our one week stay in Delhi. We did try all locations and always ended up coming back to Amber to taste items from their menu. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We felt at home at Amber - a special home with room service :-) I would recommend this to anyone and I would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Amber - New Delhi? Share your experiences!