The Amber is a lovely property with a super nice staff, a great breakfast selection (including omlettes made on the spot to order), nice rooms with safes, minibar selections, good towels, even little slippers. There's climate control which in winter is a blessing! The rooms are tastefully decorated and very clean. Just make sure you get a street facing room if you want some natural light. The first room we were shown had no window, then they moved us to a second floor street facing room which we much preferred. If wasn't terribly noisy and we liked having light in the morning.
Here's the only problem: nobody knows where this hotel is and it's impossible for a driver to find it without stopping several times nearby and asking people on the street. Our airline arranged our airport pick-up and sent a man who seemed to be a very experienced driver, and he got utterly lost (though finally found it). The next day we were abandoned by a taxi driver who could not find his way. When we got someone else to take us, it was still like an exploratory mission. I've heard that the South Delhi streets and numbering system is difficult to navigate, and because this hotel is small and not very well-known, it's just off the radar.
And that may actually be a reason to stay here. You don't seem to get much for your money in Delhi and I think The Amber is an excellent value. For an extra Rs1000/day (which is a lot less than what you'd pay for an equivalent, more well-known hotel closer in to the city center) you can hire a driver through the hotel who will obviously know how to get you home and ferry you wherever you'd like to go for the whole day. Or you can figure out the metro system (much, much less expensive) and get the hotel staff to give directions so that a tuk-tuk to get you to the nearest station and back.
I'd love to see The Amber do well and become a more established property despite this one great disadvantage because once it is on the radar, then no one will have a problem at all finding it!
- Also Known As:
- The Amber - New Delhi Hotel
- The Amber - New Delhi Hotel New Delhi
- The Amber
- Amber Hotels
- Amber Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Amber is a new boutique hotel with the aim of providing luxurious rooms at affordable prices. It is located in the posh South Delhi area and is in close proximity to major commercial centers and tourist attractions of Delhi. The rooms and bathrooms are fitted with all the amenities that you will find in a 5 star deluxe hotel. Central air-conditioning / heating, 24 hours coffee shop / room service, wi-fi /in-house GYM/ broadband Internet connectivity free of cost. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo and Venere so you can book your The Amber - New Delhi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.