“Clean, but bad mojo. Will not come back” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clanton
Mobile, AL
“Clean, but bad mojo. Will not come back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Nice and clean, but that is where the good part of this property ends. Guests (?) are welcomed at the door with a notice that there is no payphone, no public restrooms. Plus a sign on the back of these signs, not to remove the sign (huh????).

This HIE has all the warm and charm of a State Juvenile Correctional Facility. There are ‘signs’, meaning warnings and admonitions posted all over the place. Don’t do this, you must do that, etc. They are not responsible for this and that. There is even a sign on the room ‘fridge that warns that if anything spoils in the refrigerator, they are not responsible. Now, I understanding posting the rules, but darn, I felt like I was being yelled at at every turn. How about a ‘please’ or ‘thank-you for your cooperation’

The front desk guy was friendly enough and I can put that in the plus column. The rooms, lobby & breakfast area are clean and updated, another plus. However, the computer in the business center was down, and the front desk said he would put in a work order. No help there. Fitness room was hot with no thermostat to cool it down (and of course a big sign that said Absolutely No Beverages allowed. Can’t have anyone properly hydrated while working out I guess). My key quit working, that happens. The housekeeper was nice enough to let me in once and the front desk later burned me a new key. No ID or anything, just give them a room number and you get a key. I guess they don’t have a rule about following basic guest security procedures. Other little details were missing- no coffee available in the lobby less than a half hour after the 930 breakfast time was over. The hours were posted on a sign after all. No newspapers available at check in; stuff like that. Sorry folks, I won’t be back. Bad mojo.

Room Tip: If you go, it is tough to find. The road is not well marked. It is next to a Best Western, heads t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We left a gross hotel in the area and came to the Holiday Inn. It was very clean, which is my main concern. Check in staff was friendly and helpful. This was a stop off on a family trip and we will stay here again when traveling this way!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Kennard, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

We noticed in other reviews that the staff was very unfriendly. We also experienced this from the morning staff as we were having the breakfast and checking out. No smiles or thank you. Didn't even ask us if we enjoyed our stay or how things were. The guy at check in was very friendly and even chatted with us and welcomed us to "The Heart of Dixie". Found the room to be very clean, but it definitely is noisy. We heard every step the people in the room above us made and even could hear the TV occasionally from the room next door.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I am sitting in room and have been awake most of the nite.... have contacted front desk twice about the noise in the room above me... honest to God for over 3 hrs or more.... has been some noise like children running or some other activity going on.... the celing/floor is waaaay to thin to expect a good nites sleep at this Holiday Inn Express.... and I actually thought I was going to be a Dr. in the morning becuase that is what a Holiday Inn Express tries to impress upon you if you stay with them .. right? ugh...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

OMG! No Lights (where's the generator?), people stuck in elevator & charges gallore! If this sounds exciting than I guess this is the place to be. I was in good spirits still until I got the charges on my "DEBIT" card. I had been charged well over $1000. I contacted the manager on site who suggested to call the site owner "OVERSEAS". I was there on a business trip with expectation of staying longer however now there's no way I'd even mention the hotel name. I used to only stay at this chain however will now opt and promote the competition.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed here once again while visiting family for 5 nights. I can't say enough about how much we love this particular hotel. Upon check in, the desk man, Mark, I think, was so friendly and had even written a jingle for the chain and sang it to us. Corny, yes, but he loved his job. The rooms are very nice and have everything we need, like a comfy bed and great shower head! The housekeepers come each day to clean the room and restock it. But the best part is the amenities. Indoor heated pool and Jacuzzi, a real hit with my family and grand kids. Mark had told us they have free Pizza, cookies, chicken and soda twice a week at 6:00 pm. He came to the pool about 7:00 to tell us there was plenty left so we finished it off. The continental breakfast is so much more than that. So many extra's like bacon and scrambled eggs, pancakes, plus all the regular stuff and serve till 9:30 am which is nice. The breakfast room is so nice. The owner greeted us which was nice of him. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I travel frequently for business but this particular trip was personal leisure travel. The hotel was a stopping point halfway to our destination. I've always had good luck with Holiday Inn and Suites. This hotel is just off the highway, so easy on/easy off. I found the hotel and the room to be clean, neat and a very quiet place to rest.

The only real issue I found was that the hotel staff leaves a lot to be desired. Check in was impersonal and a bit on the rude side. Seriously, no "how are you?", "great to see you", NOTHING? When I asked for a standard room with two queen beds, the lady didn't even look up, just started typing and commented "I'll need an ID and a form of payment." I left the desk and went to my room, feeling as if I had somehow invaded this woman's personal home and she sure didn't want us there!

Breakfast was the same way. While the food was good, there was an employee in the side room scarfing down biscuits and gravy and I popped my head in to ask a question about the buffet. She gave me a very annoyed, wide eyed look, answered my question and went back to her breakfast.

Thinking back, I don't think I had a pleasant remark or even a smile from anyone there and they were not busy at all. Common courtesy and hospitality is non-existent.

I am putting this hotel on my do not stay list for that very reason. I don't know, maybe the Clanton area just doesn't like "outsiders". My son said the town was full of pod-people. The rest of our travels through Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas were perfect, friendly people all along thew way. And just so there's no confusion, I'm a southerner with deep roots in Alabama and I know there is something wrong with this hotel. When I pass through again, I'm either bypassing Clanton or if I am too tired from the road, will stay at Best Western next door.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Holiday Inn Express Clanton? Share your experiences!