“Decent for a night.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Clanton
Muncie, Indiana
“Decent for a night.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Traveling on a budget with kids. On our return trip we found the Scottish Inn. Certainly not the most modern place to stay, but clean, quiet, and reasonably priced. Nice microwave and fridge, TV or signal distribution for TV needed serviced/replaced, but we were't there to watch TV all night. We would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Key West
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We chose this motel because, when I called to inquire, I was told they had plenty of truck parking. We were driving a 20' truck and towing a car carrier. I had warned my husband that this motel was the wildcard of the five day trip from Key West to the U.P. When I looked on TA it seemed that the top four picks in Clanton all had over 4 stars and this was significantly less expensive than the other three. I decided to take a chance and save some money.
It is obviously an old motel, but it is also obvious that they have tried to add improvements like the granite counter in the bathroom and the curved shower rod. As others have mentioned, the room is very clean. Overall, I was pleased enough with the room. My husband wanted to go elsewhere, but he didn't want to have to move the truck after finally finding a parking area for it.
It was a challenge leaving in the morning because several other cars were parked in the lot which made negotiating the truck out of the lot quite a feat. Got hubby's day off to a rough start.
The thing that struck me most was that almost the entire property is covered with asphalt. Sure, it is easy to maintain, but it gives the place a bad look. Landscaping and flowers planted around the property would improve their first impression so much. It has the potential to be a unique retro kind of motel. They just need to rip up some of the asphalt and plant some trees, shrubs and flowers so that the motel isn't so stark and uninviting.
I might have given them 4 stars, but my husband would go no higher that 2. That is the reason for the 3 star rating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This motel had some questionable reviews online, but we decided to try it anyway. It did look a little dated when we drove up, but the desk clerk was friendly. The room was clean -not fancy- but the beds were comfortable, the TV worked, and the bathroom was clean. It is a nice place to make an overnight stop. There were several restaurants nearby. Overall a pretty nice place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Punta Gorda, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Read reviews and made a reservation based on them. Yes, this place looks a bit dated but the room was clean and had good a/c, fridge, micro. No breakfast. Old style big box tv was acting up and they exchanged it immediately. Obvious attempt to paint and update. A better than decent value, for the rate they quoted me, and that they'd verbally confirmed as I was checking in. $40. plus tax. UNFORTUNATELY, I did not wear my glasses to sign the bill. Next day/500 miles away, I noticed that the basic rate was written as 45.99 plus tax. Hmmm. True, only about 6. more than I was quoted but why not be up front about it? Looked closely at the bill upon arriving home 3 days later and noticed that the 5 (of the written 45.99) really looked like a zero. I did confirm the rate to the owner guy that was painting just on the other side of the check-in desk, in front of the receptionist. Disappointing and feel a tiny bit cheated. Absolutely my fault for not reading more carefully ...only excuse was I was feeling a bit fried, hot, and day blinded having ridden 640 miles on my mcycle. I have to believe that this was intentional. I did phone the motel yesterday thinking ...MAYBE they would refund this additional charge ...must have been a mistake. Yes, I am an optimist. I spoke with the same receptionist who had been very nice on check-in ..."Oh, I'll have to talk to the manager, I'll call you back", no apology and of course, no reply from them since . Shame on them. I will not be back. There are MANY other places there and in nearby towns along the highway that advertise $40. room rates, many listing breakfast included. Live and learn and more power to them. I have read another review here where they basically did the same to a different traveler. Not going to have a chance to fool me twice. This is about the saddest review I've ever left for any business. Again, shame, hope it was worth it to them.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed here two seperate nights on my way to and back from Florida. The lady at the front desk was friendly and pleasant. This place looks like a dirty little highway motel from the outside, but don't judge a book by its cover. The rooms were clean and very nice for the price. I have stayed in rooms double the price that were smaller and drity. The rooms did not really have a bad odor, just that of cleaner. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms clean as well. I would definitley recommend for anyone looking for a cheap place to stopover at $46.95 a night!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Based on other reviews, we booked this from home ahead of our travel dates. If was for one night only and was fine.....clean as others have said. Room 104 had the microwave and little frig, which we did not need to use, but did have an older model tv, not a newer flat screen....but no problem. The location was pretty easy to find; check in at the tiny lobby office was simple. Too late in the season and/or too chilly for using the pool, so cannot comment on that. The king bed was fine, but pillows were not, but then everyone has their own preference for comfy pillows!
Near gas station and food places as well. Best feature is the low price for a clean room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Surprised that such an inexpensive motel could be so clean and inviting. Definitely worth staying again! Exterior may not seem to be anything special but we were not disappointed. We got 2 rooms for what would normally be a single room rate.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Scottish Inns Clanton? Share your experiences!