“Synonym of Paridise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel MaccaBite

Hotel MaccaBite
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Hotel MaccaBite
Isla Bastimentos, Panama   |
Great Neck, NY
“Synonym of Paridise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

My wife and I decided to make a trip to Central America and during our stop in Panama we were told to visit Bocas del Toro. As we searched, we decided to stay at the Maccabite. It was AMAZING! If you would like to unplug yourself from the everyday hectic life this is the place to be. Just by sitting outside on the deck with your favorite drink and sitting your eyes on the horizon from your room... You will feel a significant amount of Peace...

Getting there can be a little bit difficult but once you get there you will know what I meant. Service is OK, the Rooms are very comfortable, sometimes I felt that I was somewhere else than in the famous Bocas del Toro in Panama.

On the downside, the boat schedules are not very often and It is a bit far away from the touristic center of Bocas, but thats kind of what we wanted. If you are looking for some time alone with you significant other in an extremely relaxed place ins bocas... This is the place to go.

Also make sure to check how the weather looks like before you go, we had a some cloudy days...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

My wife and I are very into the outdoors experience. We decided to try Panama since it appears to be a hot spot for outdoor activities such as fishing, canopying, hiking and etc... After our trip to Costa Rica we decided we wanted to take a look at Panama beaches as well and we were strongly recommended to visit Bocas. We arrived to Bocas main island and from there we were taken to the hotel in a 25 min ride. The place looked great, we are very skeptical about cleanness and our room was in excellent shape. Food was OK, not great, I wished they had more variety but the waiter said they offer season fruits and fish. A major disadvantage that I found of this place were 2, one can be easily fixed but the other one not so much. The hotel is located in an island were there are no stores or anything so it would be a good idea to get some food (snacks mainly because the rooms don't have a fridge) prior to get to the hotel, this is the one that has an easy solution. During our first night we decided to hang around the dock and we were eaten by the "chitras" which are some type of bugs like mosquitoes. I found it a little annoying since it completely made us go inside and go to bed instead of hang around. The next night was breeze and therefore we were advised that it would be OK to hang around without worrying about the chitras, they were right, we didn't have a problem as long as there was breeze. The place was great overall, except for those 2 things... My wife really enjoyed the sunset in the dock and in the early morning of the day we were leaving we were lucky enough to see dolphins crossing the canal right in front of the dock which was an awesome and completely surprising experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

We recently returned from our trip to Panama. During our stay in the Bocas Del Toro area we originally booked a hotel on the island across from Bocas town. Carnaval was going on at the time so we thought we would like to stay somewhere more quiet. Little did we realize how well the sounds of Carnaval would carry across the water. Even with earplugs jammed in my ears the noise still penetrated. We informed the owner that we would need to change hotels because of the noise level. He understood, so I got out my Panama guide book and called Macca Bites. On the phone we booked a room for 150.00/night plus roundtrip transportation at a charge of 60.00. The hotel is about a 20 minute boat ride from Bocas. When we arrived we were very pleased. The room was good sized and clean on a second floor overlooking some coral beds. Very pretty and peaceful setting. You really are in the middle of nowhere. The staff was very nice and accommodating. My husband speaks some Spanish which was very helpful. The rates at Macca Bites include breakfast and dinner. The food was good, not great. They did cook up a snapper that my husband caught off of their dock, which was outstanding. You can snorkle right in front of Macca Bites which we did quite a bit of. If you do book this hotel make sure you stop in town for snacks first, otherwise you are totally dependent on the resort. There are no stores or even an office at this resort. If you are prone to island fever do not go here. Our big problem began when we got our visa charge. The director of the resort, who is not on site, charged us 200.00 per night. We were shocked as we would never have booked this place for that amount. I checked their web page and did see that it is their going rate. I think they quoted us the 150/night because the place was totally empty.Hmmm. I contacted the director about the error but he stands by his charges. My husband fortunately asked for a copy of our bill. The employee in charge at the resort gave him a receipt. It was somewhat crude but did show the charge of 150/night. I asked the director if he would like me to send him a copy of the bill, but we have not heard from him. After reading the other reviews here it appears they have a problem with accurate billing. I do feel that this is more than a mistake but an honesty issue. Unfortunately, I would never reccommend this resort because of that. Also, we did get chewed up by the chitrae or no-see-ums. Vicious little buggers! It is unfortunate because this place is beautiful and we really enjoyed the staff at the resort, but the offsite manager needs to review his billing practices.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

The hotel Maccabite is a nice and cozzy hotel located about 15 min from the main island. My husband and I were surprised with the immaculate appearance of our room. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Every morning, from our bed, we could see the sun rising, which I found priceless! We enjoyed the environment that the place provides, in the back part of the hotel there are animals that you can take pictures with (at no charge) and probably pet..I didn't dare though. There is a wide variety of macaws and seldom monkeys (mischivous but cute) which run freely in the patio. Transportation to the island was provided in the initial price (round trip). In one thing I agree with other reviews and is the fact that there is no menu with specific prices. Not all staff members can speak English but it's not as bad as it sounds... We loved the tour we had and we found the price pretty reasonable. If you are staying at this hotel be aware that if you are a snack person you should indeed stop by a store before arriving to the island. Overall, I think the hotel is pretty nice, there are things that can be improved but they aren't too much of a big deal. If I were to describe Maccabite in 3 words.... those would be: paradise, relaxing, adventurous

• Liked — cleaness, space, decoration
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

The Hotel Maccabite setting is nice and the facility is fine, clean.

However, guests are stranded there with no phone, Internet, road or even regular boat access. Management takes every opportunity to charge fees so the quoted rates are actually way too low. Even service too and from the hotel was added on - $30 each way.

There is no rate sheet for drinks, activities or events - instead it varies randomly. Rates for activities are driven by the whims of the locals and the interest of other guests with cancelation a regular happening. We were aware of few guests leaving without a major dispute over the bill.

And, finally, the argumentative owner demands complete payment in cash in advance - of course adding all kinds of bank fees. This hotel has been around long enough and has enough units that it ought to be able to accept deposits via credit cards, even if final payment in cash is preferred.

We left embittered by the constant battles management and eaten alive by tiny bugs.

We recommend that you consider this hotel your least best option.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Utterly cut off from civilization and the not upfront management.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

We traveled to Bocas del Toro, Panama over the holidays and spent New Years Eve at Hotel Maccabite. The hotel's website is pretty accurate, the photos of the rooms and views. Though the setting is pretty, we had several concerns before we arrived and during our visit. Including:
-Most of the staff does NOT speak English. It would be difficult if someone in your group does not speak Spanish
-The hotel website advertises Wi-Fi access and DirectTV. The rooms do have televisions, and I saw a satellite dish, but the TVs only received two channels, both in Spanish. There was NO Wi-Fi access, nor is their a hotel computer or phone that one can use to check email, make calls, etc. Instead, the hotel offers to arrange for transportation back to Bocas Town, where there are many more services and options, but they charge their guests for each trip back to town.
-Also, the website says that water transportation is provided from Isla Colon (where Bocas Town/the airport are) and included in the cost of the room. However, we were told that we had to pay $30 each way to get to and from Bocas out to the island where the hotel is located. There are no roads, and there is no option but to take a boat to/from MaccaBite.
-Though breakfast and dinner are included in the price of the room, there is usually just one menu selection, and the portions are not very large.
-There is no clear price list for beverages, boat rentals, or any other services the hotel provides. The staff is not up front about any costs, so you must ask, 'How much is a Coke? How much is a beer, etc' We were told several stories of travelers who were surprised and angry about the extra charges the hotel tacked onto their bill in addition to the pre-paid room charges.
-Make sure you bring CASH. Very few places accept credit cards or checks. There is ONLY AN ATM in Bocas town, nothing on the island where Maccabite is located
-GO TO THE STORE FOR SNACKS BEFORE YOU LEAVE BOCAS TOWN. The hotel does not have any sort of snack shop. There is nothing within walking or swimming distance.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel MaccaBite? Share your experiences!