“Amazing.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palmar Tent Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Palmar Tent Lodge
You added Palmar Tent Lodge to your Saves list
Red Frog Beach on Isla Bastimentos | Bocas Del Toro, Isla Bastimentos, Panama   |
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The whole team is incredibly awesome.

The place is clean, off the beaten path, peaceful, and one of the most relaxing places I've ever been.

Alex and the rest of the employees are incredibly informative and are aware of the island. The bar are is a great place to unwind.

There is no wi-fi, which is the exact trip that I was looking for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dillon, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Wonderful idea, Amazing location, no amenities nearby...
Loved staying in the safari-style tent! Loved the location right on Red Frog Beach. No Amenities: one restaurant at the hostel about a 10-minute walk into the jungle and a beach bar about a 2 minute walk away (only open for lunch). I normally don't mind cooking but was we were on our honeymoon and were looking for food and bars, etc.
A couple of the younger staff members were very rude but some of the more "seasoned" staff was helpful and nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband Clay and I just got back from a week long honeymoon in Costa Rica and Panama, and we had the pleasure of staying at Palmar for two nights. Upon arriving in Bocas Town and stepping foot onto the water taxi, my husband looked at me and asked: "Um, where exactly are you taking me??" (I did most of the planning for this trip) The boat ride out to Isla Bastimentos is absolutely gorgeous and was a highlight of the trip. When we arrived at Palmar we were very warmly welcomed by Alex and Nicole, and given a tour of the facilities. Make no mistake, this is not a 5 star resort, so if you are looking for a hot shower and wifi, you need look elsewhere. However, the charm and beauty of Palmar really wins you over. I personally loved the cold shower...by day two I decided to forgo the shower altogether. Alex and his staff of volunteers are so friendly and sweet, and the family dinner at night is a great way for the guests to relax and get to know each other. Alex even went out of his way to provide us with a romantic dinner on the beach on the second night so my husband and I could have a little privacy. It is so rare nowadays that Clay and I get a chance to unplug from the world and relax, and Palmar gave us a chance to truly bond. (I know it sounds corny but it's true, there's not a whole lot to do on this island so you best go with someone you like!) Thanks again to the staff, it was a very memorable experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
valwig
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a true bounty paradise! The private tents in the middle of the jungle are extraordinary and have nice wooden floors, a lock box, a solar powered lamp and fan, and to top it off an ultra comfortable bed.
The (volunteer) staff are nice and Alex who manages the place is a wonderful host. Alex and his team set up especially for my partner and me a romantic table with candles right on the beach, and with the stars and moon as our witnesses I proposed to my boyfriend. When we came back to the bar/restaurant area later that evening all the guests and staff came to us and congratulated us. We are a couple in their late 40's but we never felt we were out of place because of our age or because of the fact that we are gay, the place is soooo cool! All staff and all guests have made this vacation an unforgettable experience. Thank you Palmar Tent lodge!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bocas Town, Panama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The location and tents are fabulous. As soon as I arrived I wanted to extend my stay for 2 more nights as I immediately fell in love with the place. I far from warmed to the staff though. They are rude, unprofessional and very judgemental towards guests. If you ask a very simple question eyes are rolled and you feel like you are being a real pain (eg, how to turn the lights on or get the water to flow)Two of the staff were talking very badly about other guests in front of me and another directly to me about other guests. The kitchen is filthy, the bins over flowing and flies swarming. I brought my own food to cook but needless to say I didnt bother. I did have their 'family' dinner on one of the nights and I have to say it was delicious. It is certainly not a family atmosphere and I was just happy as a solo traveller there were some lovely guests staying. After 2 nights I was relieved to go! Isla Bastimentos is stunning and you really must visit when visiting Bocas, avoid Palmar though!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
PalmarTentLodge, Owner at Palmar Tent Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your input. Chris and I have been on a trip to the US for the past month including the time that you stayed at Palmar. I am so sorry that you were treated poorly during your stay, there is no excuse for that sort of behavior. We are surprised because Alex and the volunteers have been getting glowing reviews for their customer service in our absence but we will look into your comments and follow up appropriately because this is not the type of experience that we want for our guests at all. We hope that you will give Palmar another chance if you are ever in the area again.

Thanks,
Kristin
Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Loved this place.

Tent doesn't really do justice to how nice the accomodation is. Tents set in the jungle just off the beach. Great bar / restaurant just on the beach. Loved the family dinner at night too.

Room Tip: 10 minute water taxi from Bastimentos Town
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Geleen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Unfortunately It's allready a couple of weeks ago that we enjoyed our stay at Palmar tent lodge... The accommodation has such an extraordinary beautiful setting, the tents in the middle of the jungle! Our stay was never-to-be-forgotten! We were so glad that we read about you guys in our dutch magazine that we bought at the airport in the Netherlands, because that's the reason that we came here! And the magazine didn't say anything to much! Whe had a great time with everybody who was volunteering/working at Palmar and the food was delicious! Also thanks again so much for all the good care for Remco when he got stung by the scorpion... :-S Despite of that it was awesome! I would recommend everybody to stay here!

Room Tip: All the tents are great!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Palmar Tent Lodge? Share your experiences!