My boyfriend and I stayed at Bocas Bound after spending a few days at Bocas Town and not being overly impressed.The place is super-cheap by Panamanian standards - they have special deals where every third night is discounted or you getting a cheaper price for extended stays.
Our private double room but was basic but clean and fine. There was no window to the outside so it was a little dark but we saw that before we agreed to stay so it wasn't a problem. We honestly only used the room to sleep in as the huge open air common area was perfect for chilling out in - it had comfy couches, a ping pong table, lots of board games and a decent book exchange. One night they played a decent movie on a big projecter which was great.
The provided breakfast was fine - often I paid a dollar or two extra to have some eggs added to it to make it more substantial. The rest of the food from the restaurant was simple but tasty and not too badly priced.
I enjoyed the 5/10 minute walk to the beach - although it got a little muddy! Basically this place is perfect if you just want some chilled out beach time - it's not a party place if that's what you're looking for.
My only qualm was with the service. There were one or two people working there who were helpful and absolute gems - however some of the other members of staff were extremely unhelpful and unfriendly. Several times I would go to the counter to order some food and be blatantly ignored by them for 5 minutes. When they would finally come over they would glare at me and were very abrupt. It made me feel bad each time I ordered some food! I understand that lots of the staff are volunteers and they could get overwhelmed by lots of guest during the busy season - but it was pretty quiet when we were there. And really - it costs nothing to smile occassionally!
I met a few travelers after we left the place who had also stayed there and said the exact same thing. Bocas Bound - great, cheap place - just a shame about a few of the staff. It's still definitely worth a stay though!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a living rainforest, on a Caribbean island, Bocas Bound is the place to stay and visit in Bocas del Toro. Bocas Bound provides immediate access to surfing, rain forest hikes, kayaking, and beautiful beaches. Bocas Bound is an exotic destination in Bocas del Toro that attracts back-packers, surfers, and cost-conscious families looking for a place that is extraordinarily different from a typical Bocas hotel. Trails from your doorstep lead you through dense jungle to breathtaking beaches and hidden coves. The nightly chorus of nature will cause you to truly appreciate Isla Bastimentos.* 8 min walk to Red Frog Beach * Beach Activity Center* Hiking Trails and Canopy Zipline* 15 minute water taxi to Bocas Town* Air-conditioned rooms* Full Restaurant Bar and Lounge * Community kitchen * Free Breakfast & Coffee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelBookers so you can book your Bocas Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bocas Bound Hotel Isla Bastimentos
- Bocas Island Lodge Panama/Isla Bastimentos, Bocas Del Toro