“great crew, great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Frog Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Red Frog Bungalows
808 Red Frog Beach, Isla Bastimentos 96779, Panama   |
Swainton, New Jersey
“great crew, great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Perfect location just steps from the perfect beach. The owner Scott's knowledge of the boca's area was very helpful and his positive energy is very contagious. We surfed the best least crowded waves everyday of our stay. The boat and taxi rides were always on time. The staff rules. Food was great. I couldn't have asked for a better Boca's experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

As I sat down to write this review, I contemplated whether or not I was going to give Red Frog Bungalows a disconcerting 1 star review - forever tar-and-feathering it's sterling reputation. Not because it wasn't deserved of 5 starts, but because like all things that are actually too good to be true, we selfishly hope to keep them a secret. Fortunately, this moment was fleeting, and alas my moral judgement caught the best of me - five stars!

Everybody should be entitled to such a kick-[--] vacation as the one I was so privileged to experience, and Red Frog Bungalows is where they will find it.

Scott and his staff are well respected by the locals, and will give you a truly off the beaten path experience (IF... that's what you so desire). Otherwise, feel free to kick back - as another Trip Advisor reviewer so eloquently put it: "Robinson Carusoe" style - and relax. Home cooked meals three times a day. Surfing. Kayaking. Drinking. Relaxing. Whatever your prerogative.

Honestly, you can't go wrong here.

Bring bug repellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Solana Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Not a drop out of place at the bungalows! Scott and crew take care of everything the second you step off the plane. Great food, clean drinking water, hot showers, and top of the line pangas are at your disposal. If you're going for surf, Scott's knowledge of the bocas area is second to none. The most unique and quality accommodations i've ever experienced!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We found RFB via TripAdvisor, and my only regret is that we didn't stay longer! We goofed up our arrangements with Scott and ended up having to get ourselves over to Red Frog's dock in the mangroves; and then -- as with many other places in Panama -- wayfinding signage is minimal, so we ended up trekking through more jungle than was truly necessary...but that actually adds to the RFB experience: everything is built to fit in seamlessly with nature. Our "jungalow" was huge, with everything thoughtfully designed, from the solar power to the recycled rainwater. Red Frog Beach is a super short walk, and absolutely gorgeous. We made use of the lounge chairs reserved for RFB guests. Scott was a great host, and his staff -- especially Chato the boat driver, and Bobo the chef -- were very cool and nice. We didn't know the first thing about surfing, but when Scott picked up on our interest, he immediately booked a lesson for us and encouraged us to quit our lives in Chicago and move to Bastimentos for a life of fun in the sun. We'll think about it!!! :)

Room Tip: Call ahead well in advance so you can get a room that fits your needs and price. Our jungalow was a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

In a word: EPIC! I recently spent 7 days with Scott and his crew and I have to say it will go down in history as one of the coolest surf trips/ travel experiences I have ever had! Key highlights:

*Bungalows are unreal (Scott had them built in Indonesia, dissembled them, and then rebuilt them in Panama). All wood, two stories, just plain awesome.

* Food is fresh, local and Bobo (the chef) is a the REAL DEAL.

* The guides are knowledgeable, solid surfers and really help you max out your days surfing. We surfed over 6 different spots that I would have never made it to on my own.

* Red Frog Beach is beautiful. I travled all over Bocas and this is definitely the best spot to post up.

*Scott is HANDS DOWN one of the coolest, most genuinely stoked guys I have ever met. Same goes for his whole team.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great staff and beautiful, unique surroundings made our trip truly memorable! My boyfriend and I stayed in the tentalow for our 8 day vacation at Red Frog Bungalows. The owner, Scott, made sure we were always entertained with the many activities available... We snorkeled, scuba dived, surfed, did stand up paddle boarding, went fishing (catching tons of fish on a hand rail) and more. We highly recommend this camping style resort and plan to go back soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
El Segundo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I typically do not write reviews and if I do it is to warn one. BUT, in this case if you still have that boyhood love for the wild, a Robinson Crusoe type adventure, then Red Frog is the place, with a few modern amenities. We recently spent 9 days at the resort and had the best time. Scott covers everything on the site and will call you or email you to answer any questions. Scott's Staff are real people oriented. They go out of their way to make you comfortable. Bobo, Chato, Taluch, Maiky and Scott all make the experience unforgetable. From the meals, the travel, the real personal touch. They even cater to meal restrictions. Bobo's fried bread for breakfast was a hit. This was the most relaxing vacation ever with no outside distractions. A real get away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world. It was very secluded and very close to the beach. The grounds are spectacular and the bungalows are very comfortable.
Scott has many stories to tell and I am sure I will be included! My wife and I trade off planning vacations and this was my trip and it was surf oriented. I was able to get some great waves at Paunch with Taluch and Scott even came out one day. I was lucky enough to get some pics of me surfing which I never had before and they are awesome! My wife does not care to go back to the same place twice but since our visit she keeps talking about Panama. We will definitely make a return visit in the future. From our perspective it is a trip we will never forget! If you are thinking about a great getaway, this is a must trip!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Frog Bungalows? Share your experiences!