“Simple on the hill” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Beverly's Hill Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Beverly's Hill Guest House
Isla Bastimentos, Panama   |
“Simple on the hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is a small collections of cabins on Isla Bastimientos, very close to where the boats from Bocas land. We stayed in the uppermost cabin. Accommodations are very simple: bed (comfortable), fans (2), moz net, balcony with hammock and a view, hot water shower. The couple and their daughter were all nice, and the property is beautiful with lovely gardening/tropical plants. This is actually the only place we saw the red frog, despite going to the beach of that name.
Our only real disappointment was that the owner wasn't really able to give us any advice about getting around the island. A lot of information seemed to suggest that it is reasonable to walk to Wizard Beach, which we didn't find to be the case at all considering the steep muddy hills. We ended up turning back after about a half hour of trudging through the mud and instead took a boat to Red Frog Beach which was fantastic.
Just as an aside, the internet is super slow (i assume it's that way all over the island), so much so that i found it unusable. (Not that you're going to the island to stay on your computer the whole time, but if you have things that need settling, do it before you leave the mainland.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I had stayed at Beverly Hills before and had liked it so much that I returned for a week during the November Thank Giving break with a buddy.

Simon and family were their usual gracious self and Naomi (their 6 year daughter) was a darling.
This time beside s the usual beach trips we also put in some excellent fishing trips and discovered the waters in Bocas are teaming with fish and in a couple of hours we had caught Red Snapper, Mackerel and Barracuda (excellent to eat)

In the evening we would take our cigars and sit in the balcony till late – the room had a fantastic view of the bay.

Definitely going back as you cannot beat the location, the hosts and the price.

Room Tip: Get the room with the view of the bay, it is a bit of a climb but well worth the panoramic views.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We loved Beverlys Hill! The rooms were basic but very nice, especially for the price, and the views were amazing. Run by a very nice, laid back couple, and their 7 year old daughter (who will try to wrangle you into playing UNO...). Friendly, helpful service and tasty, inexpensive meals available too!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I recently stayed on Bastimentos Island for just under a week and I wish I could have stayed longer. It is a beautiful chilled Caribbean island with no roads or cars. I ended up staying at Beverlys Hill Guest House and really enjoyed my stay. It is a lovely location up on the hill overlooking the sea. I had a nice room in a cabin in the beautiful garden. The owner Simon and his family are super friendly and welcoming. Simon went out of his way to help me and make my stay more comfortable. I had a great stay on the Island and at Beverlys Hill. It was completely chilled out and the most relaxing time I've had for some time. As I said I just wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Wilmington, DE.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

If you want to disappear for a week or two, this is the place. Right in town but hidden from view amongst the trees. Walk to the bottom of the hill and several dining options are at your doorstep. If you want to go to another island the guys with the skiffs are right there too. This island is a basic place. No need for "Business casual" for dinner. Chances are you may be helping the owners take fish off the boat that just pulled up to the ubiquitous docks located adjacent to...well everyplace. Any way this is about Beverly's Hill. The owner Simon , his family and the couple of people who help around the place proved particularly inviting and pleasant. Don't come to this primitive (They do have electricity, wifi and showers however!) place and complain about it's remoteness and austerity. Breath it in and be thankful of it. Should I return to Isla Bastimentos I shall be staying at Beverly's Hill. Here's one I didn't expect: No mosquitoes!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The owner Simon and his family were nice, and the price is decent, but the vibe of our room w shared bathroom is a little dark and dingy and I would say the same for Isla Bastimentos itself. It's good for a day trip maybe but I wouldn't want to stay overnight there again.

We wanted to walk to the beach and we did but we were warned that we might get robbed and we shouldn't take anything on us. It's unfortunate.

I hate to say it, but I would just hire a boat if you want to check out the beaches there and spend the night on Bocas del Toro, or Isla Careno - which was super cool.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Stayed for 7 days and discovered the true meaning of 'Caribbean Chill'. The owners were very friendly and helpful which made the trip even more enjoyable. Each night we would sit down with Simon and enjoy a cool drink and ponder life.

They have an adorable 6 year old daughter who each morning sought me out so that she could use my iPad, but only because she knew that i enjoyed playing backgammon with her :-). she wrote me the cutest thank you card at the end of my stay!

I took the 'room with a view' and had great views of the bay and the old harbor from my balcony, the hammock in the balcony made it perfect to read a book or enjoy a cigar later in the day.

The room was very clean and even though it is the tropics there were no bugs and I did not have to use the mosquito netting at all and slept withe the windows and the balcony door open waking up to stunning sun rises.

Even though the guest house is right of the street on a small hill, it seems to be in a little world of it's own with lush gardens offering much desired tranquility.

The situation of the guest house is such that all the restaurants are within easy walking distance and the dock is almost right across the street.

Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Beverly's Hill Guest House? Share your experiences!