I have just returned from 4 days in Bocas del Toro at Playa Mango Resort.
The hotel is still under construction and they are still building and it needs some finishings and a lot of fine tuning, to say the least!
Both my friend and I are an experienced travelers but have never experienced such a slow service before. You expect that for a $120 bucks a night room, at least you get clean towels and room change without having to remind the staff....NOT!
The hotel is run by two guys from the US. By email one of them was very nice and everything seemed to be running smooth.
The day we arrived we were welcomed by one of the staff telling us that they owners had got into a fight and that we would have to wait for our rooms as they were not ready and the other guy had the keys and had run into town. We informed them that it was not our problem that they had internal disagreements and that we had booked weeks in advance and we were expected. We had to demand to be taken into our rooms, what a welcome!
From then on, it was a struggle to even have our breakfast ready that was included in the rate, there is no order for service and even people who arrived at the table later than us were served, I sensed the owner has no experience dealing with non US tourists.
Basically the support staff are trying to do their best, and are very willing to help but they need support from the guy managing the place that basically has no idea how to run a hotel! The guy thinks he is running a video store...he seriously needs to get his act togheter or else. The have a fresh water pool and the guy that seems to be the "jack of all trades" cleans it daily, so that was fine. He also took us into town daily on the boat free of charge and that is a service for the hotel.
Also if you go there and its raining too hard for the boat to go out, you need to be prepared to pay very expensive rural taxis 4x4 as a normal car wont do in the dirt road that leads to the hotel.
He and the other ladies are very hard working and I feel sad that they have to work with this man! But on the other hand if it was not for them, they would even have that place running at all!
Overall I would say that the price vs quality of the service dreadful, and non existant, and i would really really not recommend this place unless these people get their act togheter and also some serious hotel management training asap!
- Also Known As:
- Playa Mango Beach Club Hotel Bocas Town
- Playa Mango Beach Club Hotel
- Playa Mango Beach Hotel
- Playa Mango Beach Club And Resort Hotel Bocas Del Toro, Panama - Bocas Town
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Small Boutique Hotel with 14 rooms and 1 suite, ocean front and with a beautiful pool. All rooms face the ocean and have gorgeous views of Bocas Town and Isla Carenero. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Playa Mango Beach Club and Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.