“They get it...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Avenida Norte | Calle 6, Bocas Town, Isla Colon 30116, Panama   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Bocas Town B&B and Inns
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“They get it...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights and $55 a night including a great breakfast and good coffee.
Extremely comfortable and whilst the whole town is relaxed and safe there is good security on site with CCTV and another locked gate between downstairs and the upstairs room. Nice deck with hammock and chairs to catch the breeze. Honesty fridge with beer, water and soft drink. Rooms are fine with aircon, in room safe and a nice bathroom. Wifi throughout, Inc room. A little bit of a walk from the main park but realistically the only time your in town is to eat. Red Frog Beach is beautiful as is Wizard Beach next door....the locals warn you about walking the trail to Wizard (Red Frog you can book a boat for $7 return) but I had no issues but it was deserted the day I was there and you need to closely watch your bag (or just take a towel and drink money) or arrange boat to drop you off and pick you up. Service at hotel was excellent and English speaking for those no hablos espanol gringos like myself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were welcomed by friendly staff who showed us around, gave us great advice about things to do, and accommodated us in many ways. The place is very clean, the towels are the nicest smelling towels I've had this whole trip (4 weeks). The place is very secure with a safe, locked doors at night, security cameras and barbed wire. I had a load of laundry done for 6 dollars. They have a nice sitting area which overlooks the street and they have a stocked fridge with dollar beers and 75 cent waters. We had an excellent stay here. Unfortunately, there was a bit of miscommunication as when we booked I asked if they had any specials. The reply I received said there were no specials, but since all the double rooms were booked we could stay in the triple room for the price of a double. It was nice since we stayed 5 nights and it gave us a little extra room. When we checked out we were charged for a triple room. When we brought up the email I received it was disregarded. I even checked my email after to make sure I read it correctly and it said exactly what I thought, plus it said that included taxes and breakfast. We didn't want to argue and cause a scene since the owner was there and we weren't 100% sure at the time we were even right so shrugged it off. Then we were told there was a 5% fee for using visa which we weren't aware of. The breakfasts are decent, nothing really special. I have heard amazing things about the mango pancakes but I unfortunately can not eat those, so I had the scrambled eggs one day and the omelette the other day. I was a little surprised they didn't throw in an egg or anything instead of the pancakes which I couldn't have. All in all it was a great stay, very friendly managers, it was just a bummer at the end leaving on that note.

Room Tip: We stayed in room one which has two big windows and opens into the deck.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
LulasBocasDelToro, General Manager at Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am very sorry about the misunderstanding. When you mentioned the lower rate I thought you were referring to the price of our double rooms, which sometimes happens. On occasion we do make special rate concessions on slower days in the slower months, but it isn't common, so I guess I forgot. I have written you a private email, perhaps we can find a way to make this right. I in no way intentionally meant to overcharge you. The service fee for credit card transactions is clearly stated on our website. I apologize that it came as a surprise at the end, we will do a better job in the future to ensure that all of our guests realize at check-in that there is a service fee charged for credit card transactions.

We do try to offer a full hot breakfast to all of our guests in the morning. And on occasion we can prepare some special offerings, but having a small operation it isn't always possible to meet all dietary needs. We have even made breakfast in special cookware for kosher guests who brought a pan for that purpose. We do serve extra large portions of fresh fruit for our guests when they cannot eat gluten or wheat products and we still have coffee, juice, and tea. We will explore other alternatives as well. I apologize that your experience with us wasn't fully up to your expectations, we must strive harder to do better in the future. I will continue to communicate with you privately to see if we can find a way to make right the misunderstanding about the rate, again I apologize for that.
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This B&B is located out of the main "downtown" area of Isla Colon so it was nice and quiet and very enjoyable. But do not let that be a deterrent if you want to be able to enjoy the Bocas night life. Although it might look far away on tiny travel guide maps, the walk from the B&B to anywhere else in town is 5 minutes max and a piece of cake - the streets are well lit the whole way, too. It was a great location to give you the option of having quiet relaxation time or fun bar hopping time.

My husband and I stayed in a small room with a double bed, ceiling fan, AC wall unit, safe, and private bathroom for 4 nights. The room and the bed were small but fine, but the bathroom was tiny! We literally hit our knees on the wall when sitting on the toilet. That being said, it was very clean and everything worked so I wouldn't complain.

All areas of the building and porches were immaculate the entire time we were there, not a bug to be found. The courtesy bar was very convenient and reasonably priced, a great way to get a soda or beer if you got thirsty in the middle of the night. The breakfasts we had were all great and good size. We had fresh fruit, juice, coffee/tea every morning and the main dish alternated with pancakes, eggs, johnnycakes. Everything was great!

All in all, it was a very nice place, very reasonably priced, in a good location and we would go back. The rooms are cozy but we didn't spend much time in there other than to sleep anyway. We'd easily recommend it.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The owner is knowledgable and happy to talk which always help. And there are nice touches that raises it above most hostels. Comfortable communal areas, a nice quiet spot in town, honesty bar if you fancy a cheap beer or coke and a great breakfast. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Monticello, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

About 2 weeks (end of June-beginning of July, 2012) we stayed at Lula’s and truly highly recommend staying there for several reasons. The first reason is the owners Jana and Brian and their assistant Eric. They made us feel at home in a very secure hotel B & B. Breakfast includes a wide variety of egg dishes, pancakes, and even fresh mango stuffed French toast. Jams were all homemade and are available as excellent take home gifts. After breakfast, they have a very organized network to act as a personal concierge to help plan and set up any trips that you may want to do. Excellent suggestions made our trips and memories turn out great. The air conditioned rooms and common areas are very clean and inviting. We really felt at home and relaxed and we extended our stay past the original plan for less than a week. English is mainly spoken, but Spanish and I’m sure other languages are available to converse.

Room Tip: Our middle room which had one double bed was good with a breeze.
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights in July . The rooms were very very nice and clean ! The bed was comfortable and we slept great ! The AC worked good too! The staff (Jana, Brian and Eric and his wife, Maria , with their baby, Sophia) and also the housekeepers and cooks were all very friendly and helpfull ! The sit down breakfast was a perfect way to start a day and it was wonderful food and all of the coffee and juice you could drink ! The jams that Jana made are fabulous! We WILL be back! We will also tell our friends that may travel to Bocas from Costa Rica! Thanks everyone!

Room Tip: The triple room has mare space for a tiny bit more $.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Monticello, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

These people are great! We planned to stay about a week but stayed 11 days. Jana, Bryan and Eric were all extreemly helpful and informative. The tours and people they suggested to us were always top notch and that made this the best vacation trip ever! The breakfast is always good, (if you're lucky try the Mango stuffed French Toast... Wonderfull!). The rooms are clean, the staff are friendly and we felt very safe and secure. We have been looking for a place to retire to and wanted to meet others who had moved and lived there. They helped us visit local places and people and to get a feel for the way living there would be. We now understand much more and had such a great time, we are already planning a return trip. You know where we will be staying whenever we get back to Bocas!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thanks for writing Jay! We really enjoyed having you and Bonnie here with us. Glad to know you guys are safely back home, We hope to see you again soon!
-Eric

Been to Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!