“Intresting place to stay, not the most comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tesoro Escondido

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Tesoro Escondido
You added Tesoro Escondido to your Saves list
Bluff Beach Road | Bluff Beach, Bocas Town, Isla Colon, Panama   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Intresting place to stay, not the most comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Our two-night stay at the Tesoro Escondido were intresting. The location is beautiful.. ideal for long walks to Bluff beach (which is beautiful and quite.. not much people to be found). However, its outside of Bocas meaning that its a 10 dollar trip (per ride) and 20 dollars when dark. Meaning that its gonna cost you around 40 dollars going back and forth into town in the evening.. The breakfasts are tasty but very small portions.. and therefore slightly expensive in my opinion. Also the fact that they charge you 10% tip to me is not right. Tip is earned by providing good service.. volunteers work at this place so service is def not good.. which did not bother us at all (the vibe is very relaxed, which is what we look for).. so paying tip to me is not neccessary.. also keep in mind that taxes are also around 10%... staff like i said were very relaxed, friendly.. I could use one of the body boards free of charge which was nice of him. Place is right on the beach, so it gets very humid and the beds are moist... didnt get much sleep unfortunately.. but would recommend to any easy goer for two or max. three nights

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I booked my stay at Tesoro Escondito in January for my April trip and Monique was happy to help me so early in advance. She helped me to book a shuttle from Boquete to Bocas del Toro that picked us up right from our hostel. I was a little worried at first at how far it was from the town for fear we'd have nothing to do, but that was far from the case. It is 3 minutes away walking from a gorgeous beach, there are tons of jungle to explore (we saw so many monkeys!), and it was fun just hanging out on the porch with the other guests. Our room was extremely clean and beautiful with open views to the trees. We ate there almost every meal and the food was fresh and well-priced. The staff was happy to help us with anything and were kind, patient and helpful.
I suppose the most amazing part of our stay is what happened at the end and after: my boyfriend lost his iPhone our last night and we couldn't find it. Monique and the staff went out of their way to call the taxi drivers (since we had been in one the night of the incident). A week after we got home, Monique emailed me saying a guest found the iPhone and she would mail it to me back in the States. This is above and beyond what any place has ever done for me.
In short, this place is magical. The location, staff and guests give off an incredible positive energy.

Room Tip: I saw a few of them and all are different and beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

First the drawback (and only drawback): it is a bit far from Bocas Town and waiting and paying for taxis is a bit of a pain. That aside, Tesoro Escondido has been one of the best places to stay in all my years of traveling. The annoyance of the taxi ride is well worth getting away from the bustle of Bocas Town to enjoy the beauty of the ocean and trees that surround Tesoro Escondido. I love walking around in bare feet and I did so without picking up annoying sand everywhere I walked. The hotel is kept extremely clean. Maxi and Jane were excellent hosts and incredibly helpful when making daytime plans. The group breakfasts and dinners at Tesoro add to the experience as a great way to meet other travelers. There is a vibe about the hotel that commits you to relaxing and feeling like you are on vacation in a tropical paradise! This was the cheapest yet the best place I stayed in all of Panama - the value is truly amazing. It defies the "you get what you pay for" saying. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Douglassvile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This hostel type hotel is located on Bluff Beach on Isla Colon. My husband and I stayed in the Mariposa apartment which is well equipped with everything you need and best of all, a refrigerator that actually keeps things cold. Their staff is super friendly and a lot of fun. They treated us as if we were lifelong friends. I only wish we could have stayed there longer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Leavenworth, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This hostel was exactly what we were looking for. It's away from the party town if Bocas and very quiet, except for the powerful waves crashing just off the decks.

The kitchen is well equipped and the "free box" saved us! We so appreciated being able to cook our own meals and use some of the staples we forgot to buy in town.

The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about what to do for day trips, although we found it hard to get out of the comfortable chairs and hammocks at all!

I would highly recommend this place for anyone looking for peace and quiet with a good view.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We arrived in Bocas and found this eco lodge to be absolutely perfect! It's located right on the beach. The atmosphere is so relaxing and peaceful, it was a great experience. We had reservations for 2 nights, but ended up staying 4 nights because it was so great. The owners are very warm and friendly and the staff there are wonderful. The rooms are clean and very spacious. At night, you can hear the waves crashing on the beach. There are monkeys and sloths that live in the trees nearby...really fun to watch. They offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner at very reasonable prices and the menu was absolutely delicious. During dinner, you can eat with the other guests staying there and socialize. They also have a full service bar to enjoy a drink after a long day at the beach. During our stay, we explored Bocas and took a snorkeling day trip. The staff arranged for a taxi and was very helpful recommending tour companies in town.

The Tesoro Escondido is truly an amazing place. We were so impressed during our stay that we'll be having our wedding there next year. We're so excited to share this treasure with our family and friends. It's the only place you should stay when you visit Bocas!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was a fantastic hostel type hotel located by Bluff beach on Isla Colon which is awesome because you're so close to town yet out of the mess. It's up a hill, situated on a cliff over looking the sea, surrounded by trees. Everyone there was super great..friendly and helpful! It's a colorful place with lots of hammocks and levels. We paid $55/night for a room with a private balcony and bathroom. The bed was pretty comfortable and falling asleep to the waves crashing on the shore was the best. If you're looking for extra seclusion- it's not for you. But if you don't mind a little community vibe it's in a great location on the island with excellent views.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Tesoro Escondido? Share your experiences!