“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swan's Cay Hotel

You added Swan's Cay Hotel to your Saves list
Swan's Cay Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3rd Street | Main Street, Bocas Town, Bocas Del Toro, Bocas Town, Isla Colon, Panama   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Bocas Town
fl
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I purchased a 2-night stay for this hotel from OfertaSimple and the accommodations were great. Upon my early arrival, they secured my baggage while I went into the town for breakfast and to look around. Before heading out for a tour, they were able to have a room available and ready for check in. Also secured bags upon early checkout & tour. Very clean hotel/room and friendly staff. The breakfast assortment (included w/stay) was also good. Additionally, the hotel was one of the few places in the entire town that had a generator when the lights went out for most of the night. Many of the other hotels didn't have any light. Away from the noisy bars, etc, but still within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I had read other people's reviews on Swans Cay, and must say they were correct on a couple of things.
First, there definitely IS a mold problem with the rooms; the moldy smell could be felt the exact second you entered the room. To me it was just annoying but to someone with allergy/asthma this could be a huge issue. Carpeted floors just isn't a clever idea in a hotel based on pool/beach activities.
Secondly the pool, though a nice idea to continue the fun after a day at the beach, was too deep to really enjoy. The water was a tad cloudy, not "murky" like another traveler said, but nothing that kept me from going in.
One thing I did not appreciate was the absence of the minirefrigerator as advertised on the website. My 9 year old daughter came with me and we were really looking forward to having yogurt, cold juice and water, fruits and cheese sticks in our room for late night snacking. We certainly could do without this but would have then preferred not having it offered to us through the hotel's website. Speaking of which, we never got the wifi to work on the iPad nor on the cell phones. We didn't really miss the wifi, as we were looking forward to "disconnect", but for those of you who have for some reason to be "connected" this could be troblesome.
That being said, we had a pleasant stay. The room was spacious and clean, the beds were comfy and the a/c worked just fine. We had water and electricity throughout our 4 days, which I read other hotels were having a shortage of, so it was excellent to count on those.
Cayuco bar is near the hotel and one night a band played (awful) loud live music, which prevented us from sleeping soundly...but that wasn't the hotels fault. Just be aware that this could be bothersome depending on the location of your room. We stayed at 123 on the first floor, main building.
Staff were not exactly unfriendly but did seem to "blend" in the background, only surfacing to help if summoned.
Overall a nice experience, no huge complaints but no big compliments either. If you are looking for a luxurious experience, go elsewhere. But if you're looking for a nice place with a serene feel, daily breakfast, comfortable beds and a pool for kids who can swim, all while sticking to a budget, then I'd recommend Swan's.

Room Tip: We stayed at room123 on the first floor; if at the time of your stay there are kids making too much...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
The Dalles, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went to Boca for New Years without making reservations, this was the only place that had a room. We were shown two rooms, they both smelled bad. We were told the room in the main building was $260 and the room in a building behind the main building was $250. We were discussing the price and were finally told that price was for two nights. We had to pay $150 for one night. That did include New Year's Eve dinner and breakfast the next morning. Dinner was a buffet, and was ok, breakfast was a buffet and terrible. We tried to shower that night before bed and didn't have any water in the shower. When we tried to tell the front desk about it no spoke english. When we went out we were told to leave our key at the front desk, when we wanted to go back to our room we had to wait to get our key and one time were given the wrong key. We have traveled to several different countries and this was our worst hotel experience. Can tell that the the hotel was nice at one time but has not been maintained, picture on line are deceiving. Pool was murky and would not swim in there.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Staff was very friendly and helpfull all the time, specially Yarisbeth who helped us start to finish.
The rooms were confortable with brand new a/c split units. Internet connection was fast. Breakfast buffet was very complete, staff toasted bread upon request.

Room Tip: Ask for deluxe rooms that face the main street for better internet service.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We arrived with no accomodation sorted in bocas so decided to treat ourselves to a night in a hotel before checking into a hostel down the road. After one member of staff informing us that there were three rooms available we left to get our back packs and on returning a different member of staff rudely told us there were no rooms. When we told her about the three free rooms she conceded in letting us stay. We were then shown to a room by the pool which had a terrible damp problem and a fridge that didn't work. The air con was the only thing going for the place and the food in the restaurant isn't bad.

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was late booking for my visit to Bocas and it was the only hotel I could find. This is without doubt my worst hotel experience in 20 years traveling. The hotel staff were sour and surly throughout my stay. I arrived early (8am) and asked for an early check. They refused saying I had to come back at 3pm. This is despite the fact that a large group of German travelers were checking out while I was at reception. I could see the maids cleaning the rooms on the balcony at 9am and yet the reception staff couldn't be bothered to accommodate me. I eventually got my room at 3pm. It was horrific. Worn bed cloths, air con that rattled like an old VW Beatle and the bathroom was simply filthy. I could go on but haven't the energy. It's the pits.

• Stayed February 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The place is nice and the staff is very helpful! I must say that the food isnt the best and the kitchen service is bad. The pool is nice for a few minutes but to deep to enjoy. The rooms are very nice and comfortable!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hotelito Del Mar
Hotelito Del Mar
#4 of 12 in Bocas Town
4.5 of 5 stars 138 reviews

Been to Swan's Cay Hotel? Share your experiences!