“Nice hote and lovely service” 5 of 5 stars

Swan's Cay Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3rd Street, Bocas Town, Isla Colon, Panama   |
Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Bocas Town
Barcelona, Spain
“Nice hote and lovely service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The pictures don't show the reality. The hotel is much better than it is shown in the pictures and the people are really really nice.

After looking around in Bocas town, this was for sure a very good choice and good value of money!
I would definitely recommend a stay there

Cheers,
Judith

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very close to the airport, attractions, and bank (only one ATM on the island). As lther reviewers have mentioned,the staff makes it seem like any requests or questions are a bother and are rarely helpful or pleasant. Rooms are outdated, but large and clean and a good value given we paid under $100 for a large room with 2 beds. Rooms do have flat screens, a safe, and sufficient storage. Biggest plus (beyond location) was large balconies which look over the town. Lobby is very dimly lit with a few seating areas. Pool area was nice; free wifi. Overall a decent value.

• Stayed December 2012
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

After my partner booked this hotel for my 10 month daughter and me I was alarmed to read some of the negative reviews for this hotel. However, once I arrived there, I was pleasantly surprised. It is true that the young woman on the front desk is not the most effusive and friendly person, but all of the other staff were very helpful. Everyday the restaurant staff would help me make up the formula milk for my baby and each time they would hold her and play with her. The room was not modern but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I had a balcony that looked out onto the main street so that you could people watch, but at night time you could close the door and put the air con on and it was very soundproofed. The pool is clean and the sitting area around the pool is very pleasant, even during the drizzly rain that I was unlucky to have during my stay. In sunshine, it would provide welcome shade. The hotel leant me an umbrella when it was heavy rain and when I left an object in my room, they sent it to San Jose, Costa Rica through Naturair so that they could return it to me. I was very impressed with their service in this case, as they answered my query immediately and I had the object back within the week. The decor is more reminiscent of a Swiss chalet but it has a certain charm, especially when the restaurant puts its tables outside. It was definitely a good choice for a family. I visited the other hotel with a pool but they were 40 dollars more and completely empty. I had dinner at the restaurant one night and the food was simple but tasty.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

1. BOTH nights i stayed there there was no water starting at probably 7 pm ALL night. When I finally complained, the receptionist pretended he had no idea what I was talking about and then finally turned on some water for my room. I am not paying for a four star hotel that gives me no water (hot or cold) for 12 hours a day.
2. ONE key per room- are you serious?? You can only lock the door from the inside or the outside with the key, so my roommate or i always had to be there for the other one to get in or out. absurd.

The hotel was clean, and the breakfast delicious, but what INSANE changes need to be made.

Room Tip: There are two separate buildings and they close the door to one at night- so I had to walk alone in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a standard double on the second floor (wouldn't recommend the first flop rooms due to the ease by which you can climb on their balconies). Could be really nice, all wood floors and ceilings but the decor is cheap and the walls are scuffed. I agree with the previous comments that the stag at reception is taciturn and doesn't smile very often. It also seems that kitchen staff are off on weekends and your breakfast is chewy bread, cold scrambled eggs and artificially tasting juice. Rooms are reasonably clean, no complaints there. If you book just the room, there is a nice bakery just next door for breakfast. All in all, wouldn't stay here again, there are plenty more places at good prices in town with a lot more character and just as clean.

• Stayed September 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Did'nt see hand soap anywhere in Bocas del Toro but expected it in hotel's washrooms! The bacon was fatty, fetticini alfredo so rich it was nauseating, the beef gamey, the herbed potatoes had freezer burn taste, flies visited breakfast uncovered trays of pretty cut American processed cheese slices! The pizza crust is missing 3 ingredients as Bocas cannot get them. Black mold on pool tiles. Should not cost more than $20 per night but is $35. Wifi did not work with my iphone4, their computer is 2x as much as Don Chicho's internet cafe 100 meters away. Workers did not smile and looked annoyed to help. Would not return.

• Stayed May 2012
United state
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

I did not know previously Bocas del Toro, booked into this hotel because my friends recommended it. The hotel is very nice, and is much nicer inside than outside. We like very much to my wife and me. We were greeted with a smile at reception and checked in very quickly in 5 minutes. We booked a deluxe room from the balcony appreciate the center of Bocas del Toro.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Swan's Cay Hotel? Share your experiences!