“Loved this place! Best hostel in Central America!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hosteluego

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Hosteluego
You added Hosteluego to your Saves list
Avenue G between 5th and 6th Street, Bocas Town, Isla Colon, Panama   |
“Loved this place! Best hostel in Central America!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This hostel definitely contributed to making our Bocas trip an awesome one! We even went to stay at Bastimentos island for a few nights, but ended up back at this hostel.
The staff were friendly, helpful and gave us recommendations of beaches each day that we would not have found otherwise.
The communal area is great, comfy couches and hammocks, and perfect size hostel for meeting other travellers. The kitchen was always clean, and the free pancakes and coffee for breakfast were an added bonus. Store next door can help you out with any supplies you may need.
It's not right on the main strip, but that's a good thing! Just means they work harder to make the hostel better and us travellers reap the rewards!
The room was nice, clean and spacious.
We would highly recommend this hostel to anyone/EVERYONE! There are plenty of surfers staying there for a few weeks at a time too which makes it a real homely environment.
Thanks Alex and the crew! Jo, Megan and Kristie had a great time!

• Stayed February 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Panama City, Panama, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

this place is excellent to stay, great attention, great staff, is always clean and it have a great atmosphere. you have air conditioning in your room which is awesome
it's very detailed and the colors of the hostel makes you feel like you are in Bocas town
the next time I visit Bocas town I will definitely staying here!
the common areas were awesome and nice sattelite T.V

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the nicest hostels on Isla Colon...but...
We were initially interested in a private room at Hosteluego, but one of the female staff members (not Gabby) told us that the private rooms were $55/night which was out of our budget (I later spoke to a German couple who were only paying $35/night??) so we settled for the 4 bed dorm at $15/night and booked 4 nights.. Later that afternoon, we got speaking to the other couple in our room and discovered that they were only paying $12/night for the same duration. When we confronted the same staff member about this, we were told that the prices changed depending on the day of the week (in this case, within a few hours), but if we booked any additional nights, we would only be charged $12 for those additional nights. We ended up booking another 4 nights, but when payment was due at check out she once again told us that we owed $15/night and that she had no recollection of offering us $12/night... She eventually agreed to the lower price, but was not happy about it. She also said that our nightly rate was higher because we were staying for a longer period of time..? I'm sure there IS a reasonable price structure at this hostel but this particular staff member was confusing and couldn't convey a reasonable justification as to why the price differed between guests.
The room was nice and had A/C, but being located outside the kitchen got a little loud when selfish guests would return from a night out at 4am and start cooking/talking (yelling). The "quiet time" of midnight was never adhered to by a particular group of arrogant guests, whom Alex did eventually speak with after noticing their behavior.
This is a great clean hostel with amazing amenities and if it wasn't for the confusion in pricing it would be close to perfect.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This hostel was recommended to us by 3 separate travelers we encountered in other parts of panama. I don't think they take reservations or allow you to book online. By luck they had a rep at the docks who walked us there. The place seems newly renovated or brand new, rooms are clean, nice chillout space, and the shared bathrooms and showers were very clean and superior to those at similar hostals.
Natalie, Coco and Jose were very welcoming, friendly and engaging and made us feel very comfortable and relaxed in the common space. We will stay there again if we are back in bocas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was my second trip to Bocas and like the first time, Hosteluego was my first choice. When I came in August I had the recommendation of a good friend to either stay at Mondu Taitu or Hosteluego. My friend and I were so happy we went with Hosteluego as it was much nicer at an unbelievable price.

I have stayed in many hostels throughout South America and do not expect much from them other than a bed to sleep in and a kitchen to cook in (usually I am going for the cheapest spot as I'd rather spend my money on other things). When I went in August, I was traveling with a friend who had never stayed in a hostel so I gave her the full run-down of what to expect, or more like what not to expect, from staying at a hostel. When we arrived late at Hosteluego, we were greeted by the wonderful staff, Alex and Natalie, shown to our dorm (10$ can't beat it) and given a quick tour. Once we got back to the room and I saw the AC unit with the control by the door, I turned to my friend and told her that as this being her first hostel experience, she was being completely spoiled. I have never once stayed in a hostel with and AC unit they let you control! At night, we would forget we were in Panama and wake up thinking we were in Antarctica. We made great friends with the girls staying in our dorm as the staff tries its best to keep the dorm rooms same-sex. Sure there are people going in and out (it is a hostel) so you are bound to hear some noise on a party night, but if it bothers you that much, you can go and talk to the noise offenders about moving to the top deck and everyone is happy (personal experience).The kitchen had everything we needed to make whatever we wanted, but the hostel was so close to some good restaurants that it was hard to stay in, plus with all the money we saved from the cheap rent, we could afford to eat out. Natural Mystic was our go-to spot with the coconut fish and the mystic chicken. Next important observation: the bathrooms/showers. They have the NICEST bathrooms I have ever seen in a hostel. The shower heads themselves (the big circle waterfall type ones) are nicer than the ones we have back home and made me want to purchase one when I returned. Hot water galore, I mean, it can get scalding if you don't mix the cold water in. If you get a cold spurt, just wait a little. You won't be waiting for more than a minute before the hot water comes back. She was completely spoiled on her first hostel experience.

When I booked my trip again with another friend in December, it was an obvious choice. The hostel manager goes out of his way to ensure you are comfortable while you are staying there. Ask him for advice on where to eat. (I recommend Natural Mystic!) There is a grocery store next door if you feel like cooking and it's open until a decent hour so you don't have to go wandering far for snacks/beer/Jack Daniels. This place is so nice I would bring my parents here. We stayed in a private this time (25$) and again, with the AC, it's so worth it!!! Towels are complimentary and there are two computers for use along with free wifi. For the prices, great vibes, company, and location, you can't beat Hosteluego. I wish I was on the top deck right now watching the sunset.

Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Bocas on a budget. You will get a lot more than you expect for the price and leave with a great experience and new friends.

Room Tip: If you can afford the private, go for it! Bathrooms upstairs were my favorites.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed four nights in Hosteluego and loved it. As soon as I arrived was greeted by Alex, the manager, super friendly and he let me know he was there to help if I needed anything. Was in a four bed dorm that was a bit cramped but it had free A/C so very comfortable sleeping. Lockers and towels are included in room rate. The atmosphere here is really relaxed and there's a great chill out area in the back to eat/drink and socialise with other guests. Big couches for lounging and a sun deck too. Kitchen facilities are clean and tidy, bathrooms are ok with unreliable hot water (sometimes had cold showers), wifi is really good and works in your room. Free breakfast is just DIY pancakes and coffee.

This is not a party hostel so after 10-11pm its pretty quiet as every heads out to town to party. It's only a 5min walk to town centre and there is a supermarket right next door which is handy. Also only 50m away from the closest bar, Mondo Taitu. Lots of good restaurants just down the road too.

They take reservations at this hostel which means you could be moved around or even kicked out to make way for a booking. There was a lot of shuffling in the lead up to NYE but I think
for the rest of the year this isn't an issue. Make sure you let them know how long you want to stay when you check in to avoid being kicked out.

PRO's
- great atmosphere, friendly staff
- clean and tidy hostel
- A/C in dorms, free towels
- good wifi with strong signal

CON's
- can't think of any!

Great place to stay in Bocas, don't go anywhere else!

Room Tip: Rooms down by the reception will be quieter, most noise comes from the tv area and kitchen in the ev...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Neptune Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

From a expierenced backpacker hostels don't get better than this. If you stay at enough hostels you start to expect the same which is a spot to sleep and not much more..Well Hosteluego is the exception...they had blasting cold AC in the hot carribean climate which is amazing...hot showers in nicer bathrooms than I have at home...super friendly people who all were there because a fellow traveler told them how awesome this hostel is and the best part is the manager Alex knows how to take care of business while still having fun. I spent a week there and saw Alex go out of his way any chance to make a guest expierence unforgettable, anything we asked he was more than helpful to give us his local advice on where to go and what to do. On the few days it rained when normaly I would be upset on a trip to lose days to bad weather, I wasn't bothered at all the hostel had a ton of books, games, TV, computers that work to kill time and lots of chill areas so their was always a hammock or computer available when needed. I've been to Bocas at least 5 times always stayed at whatever hostel was cheap and had room because I thought they are all the same. I can't believe I paid the same amount to stay at Mondu Tattoo next door which is the party hostel which is gross...it's full of creepsters, no AC, no hot showers and forget about sleeping it's all day/night partying you couldnt sleep if you wanted too. Hosteluego is chilled which is what you want if you go to Bocas there are alot of places to party all night like Aqua which is really close to the hostel but you want to be able to go back to a place where you can sleep, thats why this hostel is perfectly located in a area close to the best places to party at night and easy access to water taxis to get to islands during the day but then you get to come back home to your room and sleep after partying all night, have AC which is great after being at the beach all day and not have to worry about wierd sketchy people like at other hostels in Bocas they even have security cameras everywhere which helps to have extra security. I planned on visiting other spots in Panama but hosteluego with Alex managing was such a cool place to stay that my friend and I decided to stay there the whole time. Trust me if you go to Bocas stay at this hostel you wil not be dissapointed, don't stay at the party hostels they are gross I've stayed at them before and can tell you from expierence. Anyone who writes a bad review on this hostel is a rookie traveler who should stick to Hilton/Marriot hotels and probly not travel outside the US.....a real backpacker will appreciate this amazing hostel because if you go weeks without AC or hot showers you know what I mean when I say this is an exception to all hostels and the place to be when you go to Bocas.

Room Tip: Private room for $25 is such a good deal but if they are full and you stay in the dorms it's jus...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hosteluego? Share your experiences!