“Superb hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Bocas Town
New Orleans
“Superb hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I wasn't planning to stay in a hotel at all as I was visiting a friend living locally, but having passed this hotel in town, when the time came to check in somewhere for a bit of civilisation, it was the only place I even considered. Best decision I ever made. The rooms are outstanding; spacious and bright, some with kitchenettes and private patios. Everything is clean and crisp, there are large flat screens with cable and internet as well. Truly luxurious, deluxe accommodations for a very, very reasonable price. Beautiful views (I believe it is the tallest structure on the island). The staff is warm and accommodating, and delicious complimentary breakfasts are made to order in their cafe daily.
We didn't have a chance to dine there for dinner, but happy hour cocktails are two for one, and a pineapple smoothie is only $2!
Very much the highlight of my stay - well, second only to sailing a handmade outrigger boat with a very special sailor. If you catch glimpse of this fellow and his curious boat round the island I highly recommend hiring him to take you for a jaunt out to red frog beach for a dinner, the curry is delicious, as is his company.
And when you return, you can enjoy a night cap on your lovely balcony overlooking the water, and retire to your exquisitely comfy bed in the delightful Palma Royale.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room with a patio. Panoramic vista, and not too much pricier than lower levels.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Awesome location, recently built, nice room lcd , a/c, awesome bathroom. We stayed 3 nights, management was very helpful. We stayed at the basic studio, which is the cheapest room, and that explained why the room was a bit noisy since it was behind the reception.
Breakfast was very good, a bit small but included in the price which is reasonable.
Highly recommended great location.

Room Tip: 101 room a bit noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I needed a hotel room for an unexpected one night stay while in Bocas, and had passed by this hotel many times while out and about in Bocas Town, so naturally I thought it might just be the place to stay. I was not disappointed. Very caring staff made sure I was set up in my room, which was spacious and bright, and had a small garden terrace to itself. After having lived in the cramped quarters of a boat with bathroom facilities a 7 minute walk away, it was so nice to have a large, well appointed bathroom to myself. Breakfast the next morning was excellent, cooked to order, and very much welcomed, served in their little bar/cafe. Taxi to the airport cheerfully arranged. My only regret is that I didn't check in a few days sooner :) Highly recommended, I would stay here again in a heartbeat if return to Bocas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed a week at the Hotel Palma Royale and could have stayed longer! I had a lovely room with a balcony and birds eye view of the ocean. Wood floors throughout, lots of windows and a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was gorgeous! The hotel is perfectly located in town and accessible to everything from restaurants to off island excursions, all at your doorstep! This was my second trip to Bocas and my first stay at the Palma. i will definitely be coming back to both!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

From the moment we arrived at this lovely establishment we were greeted with such island charm and hospitality. The rooms were clean and comfortable Loved the food at Breakfast and great panamanian coffee beans with a grinder in every room! How's that for the coffee lovers experience. Beautiful ocean view and comfortable beds. True 5 star accomadations in an island setting. Thanks to the staff for a great stay. Look forward to my return

Room Tip: go for the deluxe suite!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is the first time I feel like writing a review on Tripadvisor and this is because I was really disappointed with the Palma Royale. We arrived to a room full of very strong smelling white little balls - moth powder I think - in every corner, under the bed and in the bathroom. The smell was really intense and after taking a nap after arriving we already felt intoxicated. Even my boyfriend who is usually not sensitive to such things at all! The reception did not offer any help and there were no other rooms available to change to. We had to pay for our 3 night stay on arrival and were told that we would not get our money back either if we decided to leave. I started searching all those balls in the room - like a dog - and hoped to get rid of the smell but it was impossible. As there are no mosquito nets in the windows - the only way to sleep was with the aircondition on all night :( I had to wash all my clothes several times to get rid of the smell and I think I will have to throw away my suitcase as it still stinks. Thinking back to our stay at the Palma Royale still makes me feel dizzy. Waking up with a headache and feeling intoxicated every morning in such a beautiful island is really a shame. The receptionists gave us the feeling they were bothered with whatever question we had - and gave me a very unwelcome feeling. I heard the couple that arrived to the room next door complaining about the smell too - and in the morning (breakfast was not the best either by the way) - we shared our "we seached like dogs for those little terrible Naphtalene balls" experience. Please have a look at "health effects" in Wikipedia. I really regret that we stayed in the Palma Royale. And also- if you still plan on going there- make sure to not get the room behing the reception, because when the phone rings at the reception, it's like next to your bed and it can take minutes for them to pick it up. Happy holiday :(( bad luck

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melissapalmaroyale, Manager at Hotel Palma Royale, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was unsatisfactory.

We do not now nor have ever in the past used any moth balls.
Quite simply, we have no insect issues with respect to which they would be helpful.

You are the first guest to complain of an odor in your room of whatever nature. The Hotel is new, constructed of steel and concrete with hard surface materials on the floors. Very bug unfriendly, easy to keep clean and odor free.

We also have aromatherapy scent wax warmers imported from Canada with fragrances such as earthy lavender, zesty lemon, and water lilies. If a guest chooses not to burn the warmer, we simply turn it off. We offer this to improve our guests experience.

None of these scents resemble moth balls.

Our Manager offered you a full refund and said she would help you make arrangements at another Hotel, which you refused and said everything was OK. According to our staff, the issue of "moth balls" never came up.

The room you occupied is our "economy studio". The least expensive room in our Hotel, it is smaller and in a less desirable location of the Hotel. There is a qualitative difference between the $80 room and the others we offer at Palma Royale.
We suspect that is the real problem.

To future guests, please take a minute to read the numerous reviews of Palma Royale on Trip Advisor, you will see that our staff, especially our receptionists are considered to be very welcoming and eager to help as they have been trained to do so.

We aim to please.
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My family and I had such a great 5 days in this hotel. The rooms are spacious with great attention to detail and I thought the fresh coffee beans with grinder on hand was an awesome addition. The staff are friendly and helpful which made our stay even more pleasing.

For the price I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Palma Royale? Share your experiences!