“Bed bugs!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse
You added Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse to your Saves list
Avenida Sur, Bocas Town, Isla Colon 507, Panama   |
Victoria, Canada
“Bed bugs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

If you are willing to sacrifice your body to being a bed bug buffet then stay here. The location is nice with it being on the water but do not be deceived. There are bed bugs and huge cockroaches in the kitchen. The staff are not exactly friendly or helpful. They didn't seem to care about the bed bug infestation. I had to wash everything i owned and they didn't offer to pay or offer the use of their washer/dryer. It looks nice but it's really not worth the hassle!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

On our last night in Bocas we change to Casa Verde as it looked like a clean and well positioned hostel with a beautiful view. That evening when asking for my key deposit back the staff were extremely unfriendly and had a bad attitude. We then walked into our room to find cockroaches all over in our toiletry bags on the beds etc. We notified the staff who already knew about the problem and said we could change rooms. The new room had a broken aircon and consisted of one bunk to share between three. Not ideal. Sad ending to beautiful Bocas.

• Stayed July 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Ok, I would give this hostel a good rating and would recommend, BUT there are some catches. First the dorms are super tiny, as in you bump your head if you sit up in bed on the bottom and the roof not far from you either on the top. Also the staff came across as pretty rude to me. HOWEVER, the hostel has tables and hammocks on a deck over the water, with fantastic views. This outweighs the negatives in my opinion. Also there are cockroaches, but they didn{t bother me much. I still would recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Incredible views, right on the ocean with hammocks tables and chairs. Best hostel in Bocas by far if you are looking for fun and adventurous people combined with incredible location. A/C didn't always work but who cares, it's an adventure!

• Stayed April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I would avoid this hostel. Not clean or maintained, had bugs (e.g. roaches) everywhere and the A/C didn't work. Internet was also down for an entire week. I wouldn't stay there again! It was also too much in and out traffic for my liking. Room downstairs by the bar is not ideal as you can hear everything (including the staff who sings nonstop and is not all that friendly!). Another concern was the lockers in the room. There are apparently more than one key for each locker. I found this out because another girl was given the key to my locker and had access to my passport, computer, kindle, etc. Thank God she was honest and told me they gave us the same "safe" and key. I checked out early on that same day.

One night a girl traveling with her school program was forced to sleep outside because she had bed bugs (for the second night in a row). Unfortunately, there is no hostel staff on-site past a certain hour and she had no way to request a new room. That's just not acceptable. Maybe these are isolated events but I wouldn't chance it. There are much better hostels on Isla Colon.

I would instead recommend Lula's B&B / Lula's Hostel. It may cost you a few extra $$ but it's worth it knowing you won't have to deal with bugs everywhere. Or, try staying at Tungara. It's another party hostel but at least it is clean and seemed to have it together.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Made a reservation and had correspondence to prove this, yet they claimed it was never confirmed. They assigned a bed to me that was already taken by someone else. I came back to have all my stuff moved- gave me a new bed, which they kicked someone out of to give me. 10 mins after I went to bed I started being eaten alive by Bed Bugs. I slept in that bed for a total of 2 hours that night. I currently have over 50 welts to my hands, eyes, ears, face, legs thanks to Casa Verde and have had to go to the doctors as my eye swelled & closed up as a result. I slept out on the deck on a dirty couch with the security guard while he snored and I stayed awake for the rest of the night. He was nice enough to make sure I was comfortable- more than the staff here! Breakfast is not available even though they state it is. Staff were incredibly unhelpful- I checked out ASAP and moved to a great hotel up the road. The view does not make up for this badly run hostel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Casa Verde is a popular hostel on the back packing trail based upon the past years reputation. Stayed for only one night in single room with ac because of several factors. The room was very noisy as a result of "thin walls". The staff was not friendly although the guests were trying to have a good time. The facilities such as bathroom and showers were deficient. The best aspect is the waterfront location combined with the outdoor deck area. Rumor has it that Casa Verde was top notch prior to the management change.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse? Share your experiences!