I stayed at Casa Verde for 2 weeks and was happy with my overal experience. The facilities are primitive, specially the shared bathrooms and showers, but this was compensated for by the liveliness of the place and the price (about $30 for a private room with AC per night). The deck area above the water is a pleasant place to have a beer, work on the computer (free but slow Wifi), meet interesting people and have an occasional party. Yes, it can be noisy but running the AC takes care of that. The dorms are REALLY CRAMPED, be warned.
They only have sheets in the bedrooms (I prefer some kind of cover) and you have to bring your own towel, but you can't expect much in a budget hostel.
The staff is friendly and helpful but the office/bar closes between 10 pm and 7 am. There is a security guard, which seems to be more and more a necessity in Bocas.
They had some water problems. Apparently the city water is unreliable so they have rain water catchment tanks which need to be switched over when one of them is empty. There is nobody to do that during the night so at that point, there is no water in the hostel. I would think that can easily be fixed by teaching the security guard to do that. A larger problem happens when the tanks run out AND the city water isn't working. This happened once for about 2 hours - no fun because noone knows when there will be water again: when it rains. City water is a problem everywhere in Bocas, of course.
I would return for the atmosphere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Are you looking for a laid back community atmosphere where it's easy to rest & relax? Among all the great places to stay in Bocas, Casa Verde truly is your best value community house in Bocas del Toro, Panama. Come enjoy life on the water at Casa Verde! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse Hotel Bocas Town
- Casa Verde Hostel And Guesthouse
- Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse Bocas Del Toro, Panama - Bocas Town