i stayed here for three weeks in april whilst doing a language school and i would say that although it was by no means perfect, it was definitely a really special little place.
1. live music on the dock most nights- absolutely incredible. one of the highlights of my trip
2. lovely and calm during the mornings, beautiful right on the water, easy to lose yourself in the hammocks
3. good food, decent bar, not a crazy party place but definitely lively enough for young people
1. kitchen was usually a bit dirty, not too awful
2. dorms not great and privates quite overpriced- you could definitely find cheaper on the island, although you pay more for the atmosphere
for me the major problem was the overlap between the hostel and the bar. basically, the hostel is set up so as the whole communual area is shared between the two. what really annoyed me quite a lot whilst i was there is that often hostel guests were edged out by the regulars using the bar. there were only two tables specifically allocated to hostel guests and the rest were to be in use for the bar. it was frustrating because often people who weren't even staying at the hostel would sort of 'take over'- they'd use the only two hammocks and you'd feel kind of uncomfortable even though you were staying there.
the other problem was that there were a few regulars at the bar who were older and sailors, and they tended to hang out there pretty much everyday. there wasn't ever anything rude said by them but as a solo female traveller i was really conscious of the fact that they created quite an intimidating vibe at the hostel and would often 'check you out' or make comments about your appearance and things like that. this is also something that was commented on by other female travellers. to be fair, when i mentioned it to the bar manager, the lovely anna, she did make an effort to talk to the guys involved and tell them to sort it out.
in spite of all this though, casa verde really is a beautiful hostel with a special, chilled out carribean vibe, and i would still go back.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse Hotel Bocas Town
- Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse Hotel
- Casa Verde Hostel And Guesthouse
- Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse Bocas Del Toro, Panama - Bocas Town
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Are you looking for a laid back community atmosphere where it's easy to rest & relax? Among all the great places to stay in Bocas, Casa Verde truly is your best value community house in Bocas del Toro, Panama. Come enjoy life on the water at Casa Verde! ... more less