“Great Stay in Bocas” 4 of 5 stars

Area Saigon, Bocas Town, Isla Colon 507, Panama   |
Dallas, Texas
“Great Stay in Bocas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Saigoncito. We arrived well before checkin but Jenny, the owner, was very accommodating and provided us with a room anyways. We stayed in Jon's place across the street from Saigoncito. The room was very nice, but we did have some water troubles while we were there. The troubles were that the water ran out. Luckily, Jon, the owner of the house, was able to fix it for us and Jenny provided us with a late checkout for free for our troubles. Included in our stay was a free bike rental, which was great bc it was only a 5 minute bike ride into town. I would recommend staying here if you are looking for a place a little outside of town on the lovely Saigon bay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed in cabin #5 which has a queen size bed, a small bathroom with a half door, and a small kitchenette.

Pros:
Well equipped kitchen
Relatively quite location
You feel like you are at home
The owner will book anything for you
Good wifi

Cons
Jenny was dishonest. She promised not to charge my card and that we would pay in full upon arrival. When I checked my statement she charged my card anyway. Her response to me was "oh s#$% I forgot."
The bathroom is moldy and smelled really bad after every shower we took.
There were not mosquito nets in our room so I had to sleep with coils burning and I kept the sheets over my head to avoid getting bitten.
Lots of cockroaches.

Overall it seems like a nice place but it really needs to be kept up better and cleaned! Request another room, as it seemed that most did have mosquito nets.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
jennylovesPanama, Owner at Panama's Paradise Saigoncito, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello Boston,
Thanks for taking the time to review us.
I read that you thing I am dishonest because I charged your creditcard. My response to that at the time was: oh oh, sorry, I forgot! And this is exactly what happened. You asked me if you could make the reservation without using your creditcard because some problem you had. And I agreed. Than we had a bunch of email contact and you send me your creditcard details over quiet a long time. And as I had your details complete, I charged the card, because I completey forgot about not charging your card! That´s all! Too bad you didn´t mention it to me when we were face to face, I could have explained what happened.
The room you were in is definetly the first in line to get a new bathroom, this is planned to be done right after the high season.
Thanks,
Jenny
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Exquisitely decorated with an eye for detail (fresh flowers in all the rooms, fresh linens that smelled good, and every small accessory in kitchens), the best part of the well-run establishment is the owner, Jenny. She was always warm and accessible, advising, directing and making a phone call to the right person, the right place. If we missed a snorkel trip, she helped arrange a private one. If we were unclear on where to eat, her advice was faultless. She and her staff made every day a pleasure. I stayed in four of her properties, allowing me to live over the water (Jon's place), in the garden (two different cabanas) and explore the island of Bastimentos. Safe, secure, comfortable and most of all just so attractive, staying here is unforgettable. The best of Bocas del Toro for sure.

Room Tip: Of all four of my choices, there isn't a bad one in the bunch. Each exceeded my expectations. Ea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We got there in the evening and the office was “closed”. Jenny left us a card and told us to go to the house beside hers to get our keys. She also apologized for not being there, which was very thoughtful. We got to the neighbours house and their door was wide open so we just knocked on the frame and yelled “hola” into the house. Someone gave out and gave us the key and showed us where the cabana was.

Cabana 2:
Pros:
- Jenny was super nice and understanding
- She didn’t actually want us to pay her on our first day, she wanted us to stay for the first night and make sure everything was ok
- Can pay with creditcard but she adds 5% (which is fair), also helped us saved our cash for other things
- free bike rental to get to town, otherwise it was a nice 20min stroll to get to town
- a few grocery stores around
- a fridge
- multiple fans in the room
- good wifi reception
- a tv (that we barely used)
- Table and chairs on the balcony with hammocks that is shared with the other half of the cabana, also had plates, cups and cutlery
- shower was good (I found it warm-hot), I don’t think you can change the temp of the water, but didn’t bother me because it was just sooo hot there
- At the office there are bug sprays and insect repellent you can grab if you need
- Facing the water, if you can, try sneaking onto a dock and taking some pictures during sunset, it’s pretty gorgeous

Cons:
- not very many restaurants nearby
- room was slightly small
- there were large cockroaches (despite what other reviewers wrote, there didn’t seem to be a lot of mosquitoes or other bugs)
o one morning we woke up and a cockroach climbed on our netting and ended up being almost inside the net with us
o one drowned in our extra bucket of water
o saw a few others run around the room
o (pro) there are bugs sprays in the room
- if you turn the shower on too high, it goes kind of haywire, and the tubings/pipes pop out of the shower head (you can just plug them back in, but just be careful)
- no air condition
o when we were there it was superrrr hot, even at night with and without the fans (we tried both ways)
o one night was so hot my bf woke in the middle of the night, took a shower and sat under the fan for a while before getting back to bed

Room Tip: Recommendation: Get the Cabana 3, which would’ve been a bit larger with a kitchenette. Since there...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Jenny is an amazing host. Rooms are spacious and super clean. Veranda with hammocs is perfect as a lounge area. And dont forget about the free bikes. In an hour bikeride along the coast you reach bluff-beach >must do trip!

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed due to other good reviews on here and we wouldn't disagree with any of them. Jenny obviously pays attention to what people say as mosquito coils and bug spray are provided, although we didn't need either.

She was happy to let us check in early as we got off a night bus and this was much appreciated. Kitchen is good, location is fine once you get the bikes ($1 taxi into town or 20 min walk otherwise.)

Jenny organised our snorkel and beach trip which was great.

• Stayed January 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We are two friends who stayed in Saigoncito for 5 nights and found that although the room wasn't what we were expecting, Jenny was very kind and helpful. The room was dark and often had mosquitoes. Only one bed had a net but we both got badly bitten. At night, we were terrified by the sound of plastic being krinkled and thought it was a rat or some other big animal but we learned from our neighbours the next night that it was a little mouse. Be careful because the mouse is really fast so even if you make food and it's cooling for a little bit, the mouse will come to try some!

The room was also damp and musty. The amenities were fine but some cooking oil would have been good. It was also a 30 minute walk to town which was okay on some occasions, but really annoying on other occassions. However the taxis are cheap so it wasn't too big of a deal. In summary, had I known more about the room, we probably would have chosen another place for our stay in Bocas del Toro.

Jenny was great, offering us lots of advice and helping us whenever we needed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Panama's Paradise Saigoncito? Share your experiences!