“Nice Stay in Bocas” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 14 hotels in Bocas Town
San Jose
“Nice Stay in Bocas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at Bocas Paradise in Semana Santa for 5 days. We were worried of the noise because of all the trip advisor comments we read before. The room and the hotel were very clean. The restaurant was excellent; we loved it. The noise was indeed a problem, but it wasn’t that serious. You could hear it but the walls did not stumble like some people said. I stayed in room 204 in front of the Barco Hundido. I would recommend this hotel and if you have problems sleeping then ask for a room on the other side and with a view. Maybe room 206 or 306. We had a great experience, loved Bocas del Toro. Would definitely go back to Bocas Paradise.

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side of Barco Hundido are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
North East, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We disembarked from our catamaran cruise at 0900 and didn't fly out until after 1600 hrs so after walking up and down the main drag Saturday morning in 95 plus degree heat, we stumbled upon this jewel where for $25 they gave us a room for the day, ate & drank decent food on their lovely waterfront deck, shower, nap in AC and connect to the world via free internet in lobby! What a welcomed reprieve from the heat and $25 well spent!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed Fri and Sat night the week after Carnival. Should have waited a month or longer. Some basic things the restaurants were out of. The hotel was clean, AC worked. We had a main street facing room with balcony. Food in the restaurant was good (seafood bisque was great). The AC masked the noise from the street and nearby clubs, so sleep was sound. The town was overwhelmed by Carnival and hadn't picked up garbage in some areas so not the hotel's fault.
Timing is everything as they say.

Room Tip: in the middle of the hotel on south side away from the nightlife.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Bocas paradise hotel is on the waterfront in bocas. We ( thought) we were fortunate to get a water- facing room with a balcony. We thought wrong. The club next door started blasting music around 4pm and didn't stop til 5 am or later. We got a little sleep with the ac and ear plugs but it was not a pleasant experience. Management was indifferent/ accepted the noise. And our neighbors had cranked up their music in the afternoon. I live in a major city so am not exactly used to total quiet but bone jarring, thumping music is hard to to tune out. I'm not sure how the travel guides like lonely planet or fodors missed this very critical factor- none of them mention the club.
Also there was no lock on our patio door. It's easy for someone to crawl in. We alerted management to the problem but they didn't do anything about it. They a least need to get a wooden bar to block the door - it's a cheap solution so not sure why no one has done it yet . I see other reviews have also pointed out that problem.
This place tends to attract a very young travel crowd- I wouldn't recommend it for families or older travelers. I can't believe that LP put this hotel in the very expensive/ nice category. It is a mediocre hotel at best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sussex, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I only stayed one night in Bocas del Toro at the Bocas Paradise Hotel. My room was clean and the AC worked great. I was glad of that since it was very hot in town. The water taxis are right at the rear of the hotel. I had breakfast at the outdoor patio restaurant on the water and it was very relaxing. The food was very good. The only thing I will mention is that the music at night, which was all night, was very loud and the bass really shook the windows. The Hotel is located in the center of town. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
San Luis Obispo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The trip started pretty well but started rolling downhill and never stopped.

The room had a pretty nice view, windows looked like they hadnt been washed since last year.

After taking a shower, i went to put on my socks and there was hair all over the bottom of my feet. Someone had defintely cut their hair in this room and it was never cleaned.

The coffee pot had dry ground coffee in it and hadnt been cleaned out. The sliding door on our room to the outside balcony did not have a lock on it, and the water taxi guys kept looking to see if we were still inside.

The hotel charged a $25 fee for an extra guest that was never discussed at the time of check in. They demanded that this be paid in cash before leaving the hotel. The last day we walked to the airport and waited for our flight. The manager of the hotel showed up to the airport and said that we had borrowed $25 in cash the night before from the hotel attendant, and that we must pay it to him. We told him to get lost, since he was obviously trying to screw us. He called the police and threatened to make us miss our flights if we did not pay him the $25 we supposedly borrowed from the hotel. During the argument in the airport, where everyone was watching, the manager of the hotel got very physical and starting screaming and drawing all of the attention that he could.

There were a few hotel/hostel owners in the airport who were disgusted with this man's behavior and the nature of this operation. The whole thing was a scam and they tried to rip us off in any way that they could.

In the end, we were only overcharged $125, and ended up having a terrible experience both inside our room and with our experience at the airport.

I recommend staying at any of the other 50 resorts before i would even consider staying here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very loud. The disco plays reggae until 3am. Windows don't close completely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
bocasparadise, General Manager at Bocas Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
I have just read your review and I must say, what a horrible time that must have been. My name is Joe and I am the new manager here and things are allot different since you visited us last. The management that was here during your stay was questionable at best and for that I am very sorry.
I hope that you will give us another try if your ever here in Bocas again. We will make sure that you are properly taken care of.

Regards
Panama City, Panama, Panama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed 3 nights. They stoled all my cellphones. last day in the checkout the lady told me i had to pay her $25. I asked her of what and she told me that my husband asked her for $25 for the taxi when we made the check in ... witch was a lie cause we paid right away and we went there waking!!! they charged my credit card $100 more and $25 the receptionist said she lend me. Food terrible and cleaning service horrible. !!! worst experience i had in hotels. Dont recommend no body .... there are lots of better places in bocas for same price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am the new manager of Bocas Paradise and I am very sorry for your experience that you had here. Since I have taken over, things have changed here dramatically. If you visit Bocas again we will make sure that you are treated beyond your expectations.

Regards

Been to Bocas Paradise Hotel? Share your experiences!