“One of the Worst Experiences I can remember” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free island tour!
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Bocas Town
San Luis Obispo, California
“One of the Worst Experiences I can remember”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The trip started pretty well but started rolling downhill and never stopped.

The room had a pretty nice view, windows looked like they hadnt been washed since last year.

After taking a shower, i went to put on my socks and there was hair all over the bottom of my feet. Someone had defintely cut their hair in this room and it was never cleaned.

The coffee pot had dry ground coffee in it and hadnt been cleaned out. The sliding door on our room to the outside balcony did not have a lock on it, and the water taxi guys kept looking to see if we were still inside.

The hotel charged a $25 fee for an extra guest that was never discussed at the time of check in. They demanded that this be paid in cash before leaving the hotel. The last day we walked to the airport and waited for our flight. The manager of the hotel showed up to the airport and said that we had borrowed $25 in cash the night before from the hotel attendant, and that we must pay it to him. We told him to get lost, since he was obviously trying to screw us. He called the police and threatened to make us miss our flights if we did not pay him the $25 we supposedly borrowed from the hotel. During the argument in the airport, where everyone was watching, the manager of the hotel got very physical and starting screaming and drawing all of the attention that he could.

There were a few hotel/hostel owners in the airport who were disgusted with this man's behavior and the nature of this operation. The whole thing was a scam and they tried to rip us off in any way that they could.

In the end, we were only overcharged $125, and ended up having a terrible experience both inside our room and with our experience at the airport.

I recommend staying at any of the other 50 resorts before i would even consider staying here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very loud. The disco plays reggae until 3am. Windows don't close completely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank max r
bocasparadise, General Manager at Bocas Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
I have just read your review and I must say, what a horrible time that must have been. My name is Joe and I am the new manager here and things are allot different since you visited us last. The management that was here during your stay was questionable at best and for that I am very sorry.
I hope that you will give us another try if your ever here in Bocas again. We will make sure that you are properly taken care of.

Regards

Panama City, Panama, Panama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed 3 nights. They stoled all my cellphones. last day in the checkout the lady told me i had to pay her $25. I asked her of what and she told me that my husband asked her for $25 for the taxi when we made the check in ... witch was a lie cause we paid right away and we went there waking!!! they charged my credit card $100 more and $25 the receptionist said she lend me. Food terrible and cleaning service horrible. !!! worst experience i had in hotels. Dont recommend no body .... there are lots of better places in bocas for same price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Nicole O
I am the new manager of Bocas Paradise and I am very sorry for your experience that you had here. Since I have taken over, things have changed here dramatically. If you visit Bocas again we will make sure that you are treated beyond your expectations.

Regards

Travelers are raving about these Bocas Town hotels

Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I got this offer through Oferta Simple! It was for two people and I ended up going alone. After I bought the deal I read the reviews and was afraid about the noise. I was given a second floor room next to the water taxi building.
Since I only faced a wall, it was quiet. If you want a view, this room would be bad. There were only 3 rooms filled at the hotel and I assume I got a quiet one. I didn't even have to ask for a quiet room. The room's comfortable, bed and a fantastic bathroom added to the quality.
No Wifi access in room. I had to go downstairs.
The manager let me check in early. That is why I would really recommend the hotel. Breakfast was included and wasn't anything to write home about. I even saw the manager eat elsewhere. Just skip the restaurant.
I stayed a third night somewhere else, since the full price would not make this hotel such a bargain. If you do arrive early and they let you check-in early the full price would not hurt as much. If you get a deal take this hotel. Without a deal you may want to shop around.
Great service and nice staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you do not care for a view. There were rooms with balconies. I did not have...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Good location but small, poorly designed room with no place to put anything. No counter, no hooks (NOT designed by anyone who actually travels!). We learned some rooms have frig and sink; we did not. Quieter rooms on the "Water Taxi 25" side. Best recommendation: the seafood bisque in the restaurant was excellent. Hotel and restaurant staff friendly but service very inconsistent.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms on Water Taxi 25 side. Also, ask for a room with frig and counter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Bocas Paradise Hotel is not a fancy place, but it fits well with the surroundings! They make fresh margaritas and have an awesome vegetarian burrito at their patio restaurant. Hotel staff is nice and accommodating! The view from the rooms is excellent and the bar/disco next door is a fun hang-out.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Gdansk, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

One hour after landing in Bocas del Toro turned out that beautiful islands are deprived of electricity. I felt like one of "Six Days Seven Nights" (with Harrison Ford and Ann Heche). Caribbean islands around, no possibility to book return tickets to Panama City or wherever...
In this circumstances, friendly woman from Paradise invited us for "french press coffee". In that way we got clients of hotel.
It's one of most important moments in my life. Atmosphere, sea, deliciuos seafood, travelling between islands for 1 usd... And all that amazing things started from invite to Paradise...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Igor Z
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is almost a good hotel. It has many of the right ingredients but the unless you are in Bocas Town on Spring Break or into the late night bar scene then you will want to pass.
It is a shame - the hotel itself is pretty nice. We had what, on arrival, seemed like a great room. Spacious, clean, with a great balcony view over the water. The food in the restaurant was good (although a little pricey for the area). We were happy with everything until about 11 pm or so when we were ready to wind down for the evening. The hotel is right next to an open-air bar aka "the Barco." The combination of no walls, loud sound system, on the water, next to the hotel and going strong till 4 am meant no rest for the weary. Even with earplugs there was no getting to sleep over the constant drone of Reggaeton and Hip Hop.
The management was understanding and allowed us to switch to a room on the other side of the hotel for the next night. Although markedly more peaceful now you are just in any other room in any other hotel and we decided to explore other options for the rest of our stay.
If you are in Bocas Town to party into the night then this is a great location for you. If not - not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the far side from the Barco.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Oasis
Hotel Oasis
#1 of 2 in Carenero Island
4.5 of 5 stars 185 reviews

Been to Bocas Paradise Hotel? Share your experiences!