“Awesome location, great service, and slow wifi.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotelito Del Mar
Calle Primera y Calle 2a, Bocas Town, Isla Colon, Panama   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Bocas Town
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Awesome location, great service, and slow wifi.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

It's true that the location of this hotel is perfect. We arrived on Taxi 25 and even with a fair amount of luggage this hotelito was super close. It was about the same distance from Bocas Marine Tours in the other direction. It is right in the center of town, with tons of food options very close, and the park in the center of town is about 2 blocks away.

The people working there are also very kind. The lady who helped us check in was super friendly, and helpful, and every time we saw someone working there they would smile at us, and often greet us. It feels like a friendly place to be.

We didn't really have time for breakfast in the morning, but I grabbed a muffin on our way out and it was a banana-nut muffin, I think homemade. It was quite good.

The room itself was less impressive. At first glance it is simple (if a little crowded), pretty clean, and pleasant. The towels are quite soft. The wifi internet was very very slow for us, which caused some problems because my husband was trying to do some work while we were away. Internet on my phone almost did not work at all; occasionally a page would load, but mostly I just got error pages. So, the internet was kind of frustrating.

The other problem was that I saw a very large cockroach climb into my luggage and as my husband was trying to find and kill it it ended up on our bed, and then it was "lost" so I was afraid to sleep on our bed, and afraid to walk around barefoot. Instead I slept on the other bed, next to my baby, and my husband (who thinks cockroaches are gross but harmless) slept alone in our bed. That was not my favorite sleeping arrangement, but, whatever, we survived. I realize Bocas and Panama are not sterile, there is more nature around and it is probably not unusual to have pests wander in from time to time...so it is possible that this experience was unique to us, because aside from a little mold in the bathroom the room was quite clean.

Our air conditioning worked very well.

Apparently the hotel next to this one has about 20 cats and they often wander over to this Hotelito. There was usually a cat outside somewhere nearby, and my daughter loved that.

Overall we would choose something a little nicer next time, but there were a lot of great things about this place, and despite being on the ground floor I did feel quite safe.

Room Tip: Room #5 is is mostly pink colors (including a hot pink lamp with a feather boa on it!) and Room #4 i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Good location - a quick walk from the boat. Room was clean and comfortable. Bed wasn't the best, but linens where nice - likes the cotton quilt was cozy. Bathroom clean with fluffy rugs and a coffee maker (you have to provide your own coffee). Our room upstairs had a wonderful balcony - great for people-watching. Continental breakfast wasn't much to speak of, but good in a pinch (fruit, muffins, juice and coffee). Friendly kitty will visit your room if you let him in. Really close to shops, restaurants. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Upstairs, you get a nice balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in one of the two rooms upstairs, the rooms are spacious and clean and the bonus is definitely the big balcony! This is a small and cosy venue and it is in the middle of everything (although Bocas Town is not big...). The docks are a few steps away, lovely restaurants, bars etc. are just in the same street and if you want to rent bikes you can do that next door. Although Hotelito del Mar is so close to everything, the most party places are five minutes’ walk away, so it was quiet at night-time if there is a night that you do not want to join the party. We slept very well, the beds are comfortable, the air con is good and there are not much noice at all.

Sally and her staff were very friendly and helpful. Sally can help you with recommendations of tour operators, bike rental, restaurants, safety etc. We also tried the laundry service which was excellent.

The breakfast is very simple, a muffin and some fruits. But there are several great options for a sea view breakfast just a minute away where you can get almost everything you want for breakfast. So do not let that affect your decision.

I would stay here again! Loved the location, and the ambience of Hotelito del Mar is excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have balconies.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

It’s just across the street from the docks and there is a pleasant ambience here in this smaller venue. Lots of colorful artwork and murals give it a fun and comfortable feel. Often, it is the people who make the difference in a hotel, and this is one of those places. Sally and her staff are exceptional and made me feel right at home. Sally built the hotel some 15 years ago and is currently selling it to move back stateside, but assured me her replacement will be up to her standards. She was fun to talk with and I learned a lot about the area from her, along with some great suggestions to take advantage of my limited time in the area.

My downstairs room was just fine with a decent bed and shower. The only oddity was the generic all-plastic sink and cabinet. Such things really don’t bother me as long as it is clean and works well. I’m here for a comfortable stay in a fun place, not expecting top end amenities. This place was just right for me.

Bocas Town is small enough to walk around easily, and Hotelito del Mar is right in the middle but just one block off the main drag. At least under its current owner, I’m happy to recommend it for families or solo travelers like me who want a decent, not-too-expensive, but also fun place to land while exploring all the beauty of the Bocas del Toro area. (Don’t miss the gorgeous Zapatillos Islands!).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Upstairs quads are spacious and attractive; they're more expensive, but if you can splurge, you'll be more comfortable. Downstairs rooms are quite clean, but musty-smelling. Glade air freshener is used liberally, but doesn't help. Breakfast was minimal--if you miss it for a tour, don't worry: the generic muffins and fruit are nothing to write home about.

The native Panamanian women who run the hotel for the American owner are very friendly and helpful. Overall, not a terrible option for Bocas, but I think you can find something more appealing for the same money.

Room Tip: Like I mentioned: upstairs rooms are more attractive.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Port Aransas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

A retired friend and I decided to go Spanish school in Panama late May,2013. Bocas del Toro was our choice ,but we did not want to go a chain hotel or one that was a high-rise 200 room monstrosity. When we both did our research independently on hotel choice, we found that we had chosen Hotelito del Mar. Sally, the owner, is awesome and was very accomodating with special requests. We loved this 7 room bed and breakfast and loved the location to all shops, restaurants, water taxis, etc... We had a beautiful room with a huge balcony. The premises are also very inviting... gorgeous plants, wall murals. Can't wait to go back !!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Sally and her staff are very welcoming. This was a nice hotel, with a good sized, clean room, in a very convenient location in
Bocas. Sally was helpful in giving us recommendations. The breakfast is simple -but nice to be included. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Hotelito Del Mar? Share your experiences!