“Lovely.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Koko Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla Colon
Koko Resort
Las Cabanas | Bocas Del Toro, Isla Colon, Panama   |
Ranked #1 of 24 hotels in Isla Colon
Vermont
“Lovely.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The cottages and boardwalk are a beautiful design and the accommodations are clean and efficient. Lee was terrific in the morning and breakfast was delicious. It was very quiet and we were glad of it after seeing the bustle of Bocas Town. In the evenings, we'd sip cocktails on our deck or go out to the big end deck and peer down into the ocean with the deck's lights, to watch the jacks feeding on minnows, the occasional eagle rays cruising and the gigantic bats swoop by!

The value here is unparallelled. Clean, safe, warm, quiet. It is a neighborhood rougher than most of us are used to, but I never felt unsafe and once greeted, locals return a smile warmly, every last one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Juno Isles, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Koko Resort is unlike any place I have ever stayed and made my honeymoon a wonderful and unique experience. The owners, Lee and Jack, treat guests and neighbors in the surrounding neighborhood like family. We stayed in the Dolphin, a two-story overwater bungalow. It had an equipped kitchen, sitting room and sleeping area downstairs, as well as a full bedroom with porch upstairs. As other reviews have stated, this is not a traditional luxury resort, but more of a B&B set within the community that allows guests to see and hear what life is like for locals in Bocas. Everyone was incredibly friendly. All staff was very helpful--and Jack and Lee went out of their way to help me be able to feast on local food despite my food allergies and gluten intolerance. The breakfast that was included with the stay changed every day and was quite substantial, featuring hearty dishes and local fruit. The air conditioning was not as robust as we, as Floridians, are used to, but there was a nice breeze, so opening the windows worked to keep us cool. We followed the directions regarding using the storm screen during the rainshowers that sometimes took place and had no problems. The bungalows were very bright and colorful, as was everything in Isla Colon and the surrounding islands. Jack and Lee help guide visitors to the best local attractions, yet we also took time to just relax on the main porch, equipped with hammock.

Room Tip: The rooms on the end of the walkway have unobstructed views, so those are most prized. We were happy...
Adrian, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed in the Pink House (about 200 yards from the main complex) It was isolated from the rest of the resort as far as distance but not in accommodation. I read a previous review below that seems to have very negative things to say about Jack, which in the short time we were there seemed very untrue to me. Koko resort seems to be part of the neighborhood Jack had fun joking with the kids around the Pink House when we checked in and seemed to really enjoy the local youth. I also saw that someone thought the neighborhood was unsafe which I believe is totally unfounded and an extreme rush to judgement. We felt very at ease with being in the midst of a neighborhood and the locals would always greet you with a Buena or Hola and a smile. We were only able to have breakfast once with Jack and it was outstanding, and I personally really enjoyed his sense of humor! After missing breakfast two days in a row Jack took it upon himself to come check on us in the Pink House to make sure everything was okay which we really appreciated. I felt totally safe in Bocas and very comfortable at KoKo. We did not get to stay at one of the main cabins but highly enjoyed the Pink House with it's great view, space, and very cozy patio! We loved it! Thanks again to Jack and Leigh!

Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family (wife and 3 teenagers) have stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and intimate B&Bs in Europe. We always find ourselves enjoying and remembering the local establishments over the bigger resorts. While I can understand why KoKo may not be for some people, all I can say is that we thoroughly loved the experience and it will be one of those places that we reminisce about years from now.

Take the time to read through the reviews and then you can determine if this place is for you. The following are my random comments

- Location - As stated in multiple reviews, you are embedded in a local neighborhood. To be completely honest, I was a little worried that I may have messed up the family vacation when the taxi dropped us off and pointed us down a path full of local kids. However, it doesn’t take long before you see past the comparison to the States and begin to revel in the environment. It was refreshing to see kids playing pickup soccer games that didn’t involve parent coaches.

- Cabins – Our cabin was clean and we loved it. You are not there for granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. Throwing food scraps out the kitchen window for the fish is priceless.

- Safety – I never encountered one person or scenario that put me on edge. The coolest part of living just outside of the tourist zone is that no one ever tries to solicit you.

- Noise – In the mornings, there was a rooster that woke me up before I was ready. However, it is those experiences that I like to joke about at breakfast.

- Guests – We were fortunate enough to meet other friendly guests. I suspect that most people visiting are of a friendly nature.

- Jack and Lee – They could not have been better hosts. Jack is well connected and that really enhanced our stay. He can have a taxi waiting to take you to a far off beach in a matter of minutes. He knows locals with boats who will pick you up at the dock after breakfast and treat you to a fabulous day. We went snorkeling and visited some remote pristine beaches. In addition, my boat captain had a cooler of cold beers which was great after a snorkel.

- Trash – You will encounter some unsightly trash. While unfortunate, it can be a nice reminder that you are not at an artificial resort.

The bottom line is that my 3 teenage children want to come back for a longer visit and that is saying a lot for a place with no cable television.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Starfish cabin and absolutely loved every second. We arrived at like 8:20 in the morning and Jack and Lee gave us a great breakfast and we checked right into our cabin. Everyone in the neighborhood is very friendly and nice and Jack and Lee seem very well respected and known by everyone in the town. We loved the camaraderie of all the other guests and Jacks sense of humor is wonderful! They open their home to you and can arrange anything that you want to do. They will get you cabs, make dinner reservations anything that you want and all their recommendations were A1 and they had the best boat guides. This is an extremely unique property with extremely unique owners- we loved our little cabin, our hammock, our entire stay was made more than extraordinary because of Jack and Lees Hospitality - we cannot thank them enough and we feel very very fortunate to have met them! I would be very happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We loved our stay at the Koko resort. We stayed in the Orchid cabin with unobstructed views of the water which offered us spectacular sunset views. Jack and Lee were great. They call you cabs, arrange excursions, provide beach towels and do whatever they can to make sure your needs are met. The cabins themselves are very clean with lots of hot water and good water pressure. My only gripe would be a barking dog a few houses away that woke us up one morning, but we solved the problem by closing the windows and running and fan/air-conditioning. Overall an enjoyable stay and would be happy to return in the future.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We loved our stay at Koko resort. We stayed in Gecko cabin. It was incredibably relaxing staying in a cabin over the water complete with hammock and and when you lie in bed with the upstairs balcony door open, you can see the sea. Previous reviewers have had mixed views around staying in the middle of the local community, but we thought that was one of the best things about it. The locals were friendly and we always felt safe. One of the nice things about Koko resort is that the owners have a genuine commitment to helping their neighbours in and they have been able to provide support to local people in exchange for local people doing various things to help Koko resort (decorating, baking bread etc) so it is a very mutually beneficial relationship and they appear to be held in high regard in the neighbourhood. It is a pretty easy short walk into town or taxi ride or cycle. Hiring bikes is quite a good way to get round the island. The resort has two adorable and very friendly cats and as we were missing our cats at home, it was nice to spend time with them and lie in the hammock with a book and a cat nestled into your lap. Jack and Lee are friendly and laid back with a dry sense of humour and can help you out with anything that you need.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Koko Resort? Share your experiences!