“Extremely guest and service focused, friendly and always happy to help you!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort

You added Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Isla Colon, Panama   |
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Isla Colon
“Extremely guest and service focused, friendly and always happy to help you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights over spring break in 2013 with my classmates. This was a very clean and nice place with probably the best staff experience for me in Panama so far. I have stayed several nights each at multiple places in every single province in Panama, at all ends of the price spectrum, from Trump hotel in Panama City all the way to remote hostels in the jungle. The service here is as good as the Trump hotel, and I honestly mean that.

As with every business, rarely do people take the time to write reviews when things are good, as they expect them to just be that way. It is only when someone has a problem that they take to the Internet in spite.

So I am here to balance the power because I had a really great time and I feel I am qualified to accurately review it.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank amev28

San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Playa Tortuga has a nice clean pool and outdoor area that are great for relaxing, and the rooms are well-maintained. Despite this, some of the staff members are extremely rude -- mostly the staff that appeared to have management positions. For example, we had to change rooms from the first floor to the third floor during our stay (which was a change for the better I should say), but no one even offered to help us move our luggage, and there is no elevator on the property. We lugged two large suitcases and two stuffed backpacks up two floors while the staff members passed us by on the stairs. I guess I just assumed that we would have great service and someone to at least help us with our bags, being that we paid a hefty price to stay at a "resort." Also, the food is BAD....do not eat at the hotel unless absolutely necessary. The complimentary breakfast is mediocre, but the food at the restaurant is disgusting and expensive. I would recommend staying at one of the waterfront hotels in Bocas Town instead of Playa Tortuga. I think the staff and hotel owners are more friendly, and you'll be right in town, as opposed to having to take a cab into the central area everyday. Overall, don't stay here if you can help it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marissa C

Travelers are raving about these Isla Colon hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were very pleased by the size of our Junior Suite, the balcony and beautiful view overlooking the beach. The room was clean, the king sized bed very comfortable. The American style breakfast was a bit disappointing (we would have preferred regional offerings and some fresh local produce, but a lot of people might prefer the American offerings) but we found a great restaurant in town that had great dinner fare.
We booked a private snorkeling expedition for two for $95.00. 4 hours on a large-ish touring boat. The Jamacan captain didn't speak much English and therefore couldn't articulate a lot of what we were seeing (I still wonder about a wreaked ship we drove around) but took us to some great snorkeling spots and was willing to do whatever we wanted. We would have loved it if our excursion advisor from the hotel had told us there were rustic thatched restaurants on the water where we were going where we could have stopped and had lunch or a drink, had we taken cash for such a thing (no credit cards accepted... very rural).
On day 2, we arranged a surf lesson outing. It was rainy, but warm, and we were only there for 3 days. We waited for 45 minutes past pick up time before going back into the hotel to ask where our ride was. The boat arrived 15 minutes later, the driver explaining that he figured we wanted to cancel since it was drizzling. Kind of a non-issue, if you are planning on getting wet anyway! The lesson was at a beautiful little cluster of huts on risers, and the 3 hour lesson more than adequate.
The over-the-water bar at the hotel provided plenty of ambience; a little light on culinary creativity and a bit pricey compared to what else the island had to offer, but was good enough, factoring in the convenience and view.
I didn't see any of the $300.00+ resorts in the area, but we felt this lovely place was a very good value. We would go back!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view, on the top floor. We were happy we hadn't booked a room overlooking the n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank thnkdsn
Hugo, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay if visiting Boca town. It is a 5 minute cab ride from town and one gets to enjoy a beautiful pool and quietness. I would love to come here and train the staff on waiting tables. I thought everyone was very pleasant, however, I was not impressed with all of the empty drink glasses left out by the pool area. There was a waiter serving drinks, but he would never take any of the empty glasses. I also notice the wait staff of 4 or more congregated together rather than serving and selling. The room was comfortable and clean and we had a great view.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 7wonderstraveler
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed in Bocas Del Toro for five days. When I first arrived at the hotel I thought it was okay. The lobby, pool and beach areas were clean and inviting. The room was roomy with a comfortable bed.

Even though the salt air has always been good for my breathing; I'm asthmatic, staying in the hotel wasn't. There was mold on the curtains and if the ac stayed on for too long my asthma would act up. If the curtains and ac was ever cleaned, it's been a very long time since.

But on a better note. The staff was great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We showed up at Playa Tortuga last week without reservations and were told by reception that they were full. The only room available was the Presidential Suite for $600. We asked if they could find another hotel for us nearby but were told that the entire island was booked. So we took the suite. After checking in we discovered the hotel was nearly empty, and that we'd been scammed. Bad place. Do not patronize!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Blake A
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We picked this hotel be because it had fairly good reviews but I was disgusted. I am a very minimal person but these room were so filthy. The baseboards and door were covered in brown gunk, the lamps were stained as well as the curtains. The base of the lamps were even rusty. Won't even get into the hair in the bathroom. Not pleased, won't go back. The only good thing that I noticed was there were no bed bugs. P.S. the websites photos are very deceiving.

Room Tip: Get a room far from the lobby, very noisy otherwise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
#6 of 22 in Isla Colon
4.0 of 5 stars 246 reviews

Been to Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!