We were very pleased by the size of our Junior Suite, the balcony and beautiful view overlooking the beach. The room was clean, the king sized bed very comfortable. The American style breakfast was a bit disappointing (we would have preferred regional offerings and some fresh local produce, but a lot of people might prefer the American offerings) but we found a great restaurant in town that had great dinner fare.
We booked a private snorkeling expedition for two for $95.00. 4 hours on a large-ish touring boat. The Jamacan captain didn't speak much English and therefore couldn't articulate a lot of what we were seeing (I still wonder about a wreaked ship we drove around) but took us to some great snorkeling spots and was willing to do whatever we wanted. We would have loved it if our excursion advisor from the hotel had told us there were rustic thatched restaurants on the water where we were going where we could have stopped and had lunch or a drink, had we taken cash for such a thing (no credit cards accepted... very rural).
On day 2, we arranged a surf lesson outing. It was rainy, but warm, and we were only there for 3 days. We waited for 45 minutes past pick up time before going back into the hotel to ask where our ride was. The boat arrived 15 minutes later, the driver explaining that he figured we wanted to cancel since it was drizzling. Kind of a non-issue, if you are planning on getting wet anyway! The lesson was at a beautiful little cluster of huts on risers, and the 3 hour lesson more than adequate.
The over-the-water bar at the hotel provided plenty of ambience; a little light on culinary creativity and a bit pricey compared to what else the island had to offer, but was good enough, factoring in the convenience and view.
I didn't see any of the $300.00+ resorts in the area, but we felt this lovely place was a very good value. We would go back!
- Also Known As:
- Playa Tortuga Hotel And Beach Resort
- Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Isla Colon
- Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach
- Playa Tortuga Hotel Beach
- Playa Tortuga Resort Beach
- Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort Panama/Bocas Del Toro - Isla Colon
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a relaxing 5-star hotel offering excellent service in a casual environment. Our hotel is located in front of the Caribbean beaches of Bocas del Toro. Enjoy our rooms with private balconies and spectacular seaside view. Room services and amenities include air-conditioning, cable TV, complimentary WIFI use, in room minibar. Hotel services and amenities include complimentary breakfast buffet, complimentary WIFI use, two restaurants, swimming pool for children and adults, newsstand, beach access, gym and two meeting rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Otel, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.