We were very pleased by the size of our Junior Suite, the balcony and beautiful view overlooking the beach. The room was clean, the king sized bed very comfortable. The American style breakfast was a bit disappointing (we would have preferred regional offerings and some fresh local produce, but a lot of people might prefer the American offerings) but we found a great restaurant in town that had great dinner fare.
We booked a private snorkeling expedition for two for $95.00. 4 hours on a large-ish touring boat. The Jamacan captain didn't speak much English and therefore couldn't articulate a lot of what we were seeing (I still wonder about a wreaked ship we drove around) but took us to some great snorkeling spots and was willing to do whatever we wanted. We would have loved it if our excursion advisor from the hotel had told us there were rustic thatched restaurants on the water where we were going where we could have stopped and had lunch or a drink, had we taken cash for such a thing (no credit cards accepted... very rural).
On day 2, we arranged a surf lesson outing. It was rainy, but warm, and we were only there for 3 days. We waited for 45 minutes past pick up time before going back into the hotel to ask where our ride was. The boat arrived 15 minutes later, the driver explaining that he figured we wanted to cancel since it was drizzling. Kind of a non-issue, if you are planning on getting wet anyway! The lesson was at a beautiful little cluster of huts on risers, and the 3 hour lesson more than adequate.
The over-the-water bar at the hotel provided plenty of ambience; a little light on culinary creativity and a bit pricey compared to what else the island had to offer, but was good enough, factoring in the convenience and view.
I didn't see any of the $300.00+ resorts in the area, but we felt this lovely place was a very good value. We would go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tropical Caribbean Beach Resort on the crystal clear waters of Bocas del Toro, Panama.Playa Tortuga offers 117 stylish room accommodations, each with a balcony and spectacular ocean view. Guests may choose from standard rooms, junior suites and large grand suites, all offering a contemporary décor, modern amenities and a soothing tropical atmosphere.Relax in the hotel’s sea view pool, or sunbathe in our water mirrors while enjoying your favorite beverage from the nearby bar area. Little ones will enjoy the children’s pool. Other modern and convenient amenities include free WIFI and a state of the art Fitness Center featuring a private massage area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, HotelsClick, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Isla Colon
- Playa Tortuga Hotel And Beach Resort
- Playa Tortuga Resort Beach
- Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort Panama/Bocas Del Toro - Isla Colon