“Great value and service” 4 of 5 stars

Kindness Hotel
No.16 Lane 209, Section 1, Jhongsing Road, Taitung, Taiwan   |
Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Taitung
Taipei, Taiwan
“Great value and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I spent one night in Taitung. We just needed somewhere safe, clean, and easy to get to where we needed to go. This hotel turned out to be a wonderful surprise. Check-in took less than a minute, and the lady was courteous. The room was not big, but clean, modern and stylish. I particularly liked the bathroom with a big shower. The bed and bedding were very comfortable.

We arrived quite late, nearly 8:30pm. After more than 6 hours on the train, we were quite hungry. The lady told us night snack will be served on the 2nd floor cafe between 9-11pm. We never heard of any other hotel serving free night snacks and were very curious. It was a decent buffet spread with hot and cold food, fresh fruit, ice cream and cakes..... Just what we needed. Next to the front desk in the lobby is a free drink and snack bar where hotel guests can enjoy coffee, tea, juice, popcorn, and ice cream any time of the day. Again, this is something you don't often see in other hotels.

All staff were courteous. The location was perfect and quiet. I can't imagine any other hotel in Taitung beating that value. It is a great base for anyone wanting to explore Taitung.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My fiancee and I were visiting her relatives, and this hotel was recommended by her family. It was a great choice!

At first, the location was not that impressive. I rented hotel's bike (free) and rode about the city. It was easy to get around. Roads are wide and safe unlike Taipei.

Taitung reminds me of Hawaii, weather yes, but no good beach. Follow the mountains if heading north or west, follow the sea if heading south or east.

Taitung is small, clean and beautiful. The hotel emphasizes a lot of food, drink, popcorn and ice cream available anytime.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Kindness hotel offered very accommodating staff and a clean hotel. Breakfast was delicious, and many varieties were set-out. The rooms were simple but nice, and only the A/C was hard to set due to it only being in Chinese.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went to Hualian and passed Taidong for a night. 康橋大飯店 is quite new and the room is very spaceous. Best of all, it serves all-you-can-eat snake bar, midnight meal and breakfast for free. We arrived quite late (could not arrived by 6pm as advised) but our room was still reserved. After trying popcorn and ice cream, we took shower in the big bathroom which supplies with various kinds of shampoo and soaps. The midnight meal was very attractive and we took several bowls of noodle and meat ball soup. Breakfast was even better with all sorts of Western and Taiwanese food. We then checked out bikes and headed for Forest Park. The condition of bikes were much better than rental bikes and we enjoyed the ride very much.
Overall speaking, this is a high C/P value hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Free pop corn, ice cream and coffee/juices in cafe 24/7. Close to markets, central park, shopping district, transports and mrt. Pretty happy with the place and services.

• Stayed February 2012
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

The Kindness offered a clean (hard) bed and a small room, for a great price, which was fine for my family's needs. We had a double room which easily slept 2 adults and 2 small children. We enjoyed the air hockey table and the 24-hour coffee service. I thought the breakfast buffet offered plentiful and tasty choices, but there was either a true misunderstanding or an attempt to fleece us with the cost. I paid for the breakfasts (included in room price - very reasonable) when we checked in, but we only got one day's worth of tickets. When I asked them the next day for the next day's tickets, they tried to charge me - and not just a little, but NT $8000. I refused to pay that as it seemed too much, plus I had already paid. When my local host talked to them in Chinese the next day, they claimed it was just a misunderstanding and that they never said NT $8000 (even though that's what they typed on the calculator!) Anyway, we didn't end up with the breakfast I paid for on that one day...the other days, we were given our coupons without incident and without additional charges. We did not speak Chinese well enough to make our needs understood, and only one staff member at the Kindness spoke English well enough to truly communicate. Even simple requests like trying to get a taxi to take us to more than one place could not be accomplished. The Kindness was not as central as I had understood, which wasn't the Kindness' fault, but my own. I understood the Naruwan to be a little way out of town, but after visiting there for some shopping, I would definitely consider staying there if it's in your budget. It was not that far away and the staff spoke English well enough to truly communicate. In the end the Kindness was okay, but I would not stay there again unless there were truly no better options.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Taitung
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I don't think I would actually call it the 'Kindness Hotel', I was there the latter part of July, 2011. Let me start out by saying it is a nice hotel and I would stay there again but I'm new to this area of Taiwan so not sure what else is available. If I come back to Taitung, I wouldn't mind trying a different hotel. The rooms are clean and probably recently updated and you have a mini-fridge, large TV and free high-speed internet. They also provide a free laundry facility which is nice to have, although it takes about 3 hours to wash and dry a load but that is a minor inconvenience.

The cleaning staff and breakfast area staff were very friendly; the women at the front desk were not - borderline rude. I don't know if they think that they are a big deal or something, or are just racist but it made me want to find another place to stay. I don't expect anyone to kiss up to me but this was way below that. Just checking in soured my mood after dealing with their attitude.

If you ever go to Taichung, stay at the Splendor and see how differently you are treated by the front desk clerks - night and day difference.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Kindness Hotel? Share your experiences!