“Beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lalu Sun Moon Lake

You added The Lalu Sun Moon Lake to your Saves list
The Lalu Sun Moon Lake
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.142 Jungshing Road, Yuchr Shiang Nantou, Nantou 555, Taiwan   |
Ranked #2 of 98 Hotels in Nantou
4.5 of 5 stars 216 Reviews
Duluth, Georgia
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I heard a lot about this hotel, but never had the chance to experience it until this past weekend, and I was not disappointed, although it was a bit pricey. Upon arrival, we were greeted by hotel staff who took care of our car, luggage, and escorted us to a nice waiting area to enjoy plum tea and almonds while giving us steaming hot face towels to refresh ourselves a bit. Since we arrived in the evening, we were not able to enjoy the vistas the rooms provided. In the morning, there were great views of the lake from every room! There's even a balcony with nicely appointed furniture to take in the views! unfortunately, the morning was foggy and the day was cloudy so no great sunrises was observed. The suites were exquisite! I was only there for a night so I was not able to enjoy the full benefits of a good stay. However, that was a great time!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My wife and I just completed and incredible stay at the magical LaLu hotel. The hotel is nothing less than breathtaking - enhancing the already incredible scenery. Service is beyond what I have experienced in many of the worlds' best hotels. The staff greet you by name and provide the perfect balance of service and privacy. The spa was magnificent and the LaLu massage was one of the best we have ever experienced. Overall, the LaLu has no faults - you will be blown away with the experience - from the room through to your own private tea ceremony.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I heard a lot about this hotel, but never had the chance to experience it until this Christmas Eve, and I was not disappointed, although it was a little pricey. But you do get your money worth. Upon arrival, we were greeted by hotel staff who took care of our car, luggage, and escorted us to a nice waiting area to enjoy tea and snack. A short while later, we were escorted to our very nice and comfortable room with 180 degree view if Sun Moon Lake on its patio/lanai. The room is equipped with an old Bose sound system, but it worked fine. Only complain I had was it had limited cd selection; bring your favorite cd's, since you cannot get AM or FM receptions. I should have check the system to see if it was possible to hook up iPad/iTouch. Too bad that the Japanese restaurant only opens on weekend, so we didn't have the chance to try it. But the reasonably priced Chinese restaurant was pretty good. Same goes to the pool, too. It was beautiful, but we didn't have time to try it. So, I highly recommend that guests set aside some time to use it to get their money worth. Overall, this 2013 Christmas Eve/day we spent there will be a day to remember for the rest of our lives. Big thanks to the fine Lalu staff for making it possible. One last point, the place probably is due for renovation, since there are places, such as the corners and the tiles of the shower stall, that starts to show age.

Room Tip: All the Lake View Rooms are supposed to have full view of Sun Moon Lake, and the rooms we stayed (25...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you ask me, I would say, "What a disaster!"  We stayed in the pool villa.  My next-door guests had a party that started at 10 pm, and we'd been waiting until midnight for the hotel staff to deal with it, which took them 30 minutes, but after annoying sound, it was loud embarrassing sound.  You think it was the end, no!  A machine in the bathroom was out of order and keeping making an irritating noise. There were scooters and cars moving every five minutes coz our room was right next to the driveway!  Beautiful scenery but no sound insulation, not to mention the not so good food they provide.  I just need a quiet room to sleep.  Is this too much to ask??

• Stayed November 2013
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Entering into a serene lobby and overlooking the magnificent lake was confirmation I had made the correct choice. The service throughout the hotel is excellent. The rooms beautiful, Ah yes, the lake! The view from our balcony encompassed the infinity pool, gorgeous lake, and beautiful mountains. Modern with an Asian sensibility makes The Lalu a true gem .

Room Tip: 1507 is amazing .
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We travel a fair bit so have stayed in a good number of hotels. The Lalu was special and is one hotel that we will never forget. The view from our bedroom was beautiful and I particularly enjoyed seeing how changes in the light were reflected in the scene before us. The mountains make a lovely backdrop to the lake. Another reason we particularly enjoyed our stay was the outstanding service. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. When we asked how to arrange a boat trip on the lake, they immediately offered a driver and car to take us down to the pier. The hotel is very nicely furnished and maintained and somehow exudes an ambience of rest and relaxation. Visit and you will see what I mean. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and the omelettes were delicious. My only criticism is the espresso coffee that I had one night in the lounge/bar area was very bitter. Apart from that though our stay was perfect and I would gladly return. Two nights was not enough! There is plenty to do and see in the area. Also we thought the spa was lovely and the prices very reasonable.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Go, but be prepared for some imperfections. First impressions are fab as the view is the first thing you see and probably the biggest attraction of the hotel. The second thing that you see are the stained carpets in the lobby, when they sit you down for the welcome drink. Then there's the worn wood and broken umbrella stands. The frustrating thing is that there are easy and inexpensive ways to make improvements e.g. just switch the location of the most damaged items. You have to ignore it all, because once you do this is a really lovely place to stay. The room is beautifully designed and a very nice space to be in. The massage and scrub treatment in the spa was excellent. Breakfast also good, nice to eat al fresco on the terrace. Dinner in the western restaurant best avoided...just a single pecan in my salad, strange pesto and dessert was frozen in the middle. The hotel has a special charm; I really enjoyed my two night stay. You can hire bikes from the hotel and there's a nice cycle path along one side of the lake, takes about 90 mins. I thoroughly enjoyed staying here and felt relaxed and refreshed when I left.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Lalu Sun Moon Lake? Share your experiences!