“Awesome view with great food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lalu Sun Moon Lake

You added The Lalu Sun Moon Lake to your Saves list
The Lalu Sun Moon Lake
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.142 Jungshing Road, Yuchr Shiang Nantou, Nantou 555, Taiwan   |
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Nantou
Hong Kong, China
“Awesome view with great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We travelled as a big group of friends, despite we did not stay here, we came here to experience the relaxed environment and had our dinner at the Chinese Restaurant. The view along the walkway and at the restaurant was awesome. We wish we have had reserved this hotel.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

This hotel is simply amazing. The staff treat you wonderfully, and unlike other high-end hotels, they do not try to overcharge you for everything. Starting with check in, they took us to a scenic overlook and gave us food and drinks while they ran our check in. After the grounds and room tour, we were shocked to find the minibar was stocked with free waters, fruits and desserts, and sodas being sold for only $20NT. The hotel offered private boat tours and other rentals for perfectly reasonable prices.

The rooms are all suites, and come with a deck and a view of the lake (all rooms have a lake view). We had no problems with mosquitoes or other insects, but can see how they could be a problem as the doors don't have screens. The bathroom is somewhat odd as the sliding door either slides to shut the shower, or the toilet, but cannot shut both at the same time. The bathroom/bedroom layout is very open, and you generally need to be very comfortable with whomever you're staying with since there is no privacy within the suite. (I'd characterize it as a couples retreat, not a family resort).

The place also has a marvelous infinity pool with a view of the lake. While it is long (60 meters), numerous people like to just sit in the pool and stare out at the lake making swimming challenging at times. There is also a gym inside the spa area with an elliptical, treadmill, bike, and weights. At the time, however, the gym was uncomfortably hot and humid even though the outside temperature was very pleasant.

Breakfast was good--a hot/cold eastern/western combination, but dinner at their main restaurant was somewhat disappointing for lack of options, and I'd suggest room service for dinner in your room or one of the smaller restaurants.

We would have loved to have stayed at the Lalu for another day or two at least to take advantage of their rentals and things to be done around the lake

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
hong kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We read about Lalu's excellence years ago but did not make the trip till last month as we thought transportation would be cumbersome. The hotel limousine picked us up at Taoyuan airport, the 2 hour ride so smooth we fell asleep during the journey, waking up afresh when we reached Lalu.
The hotel had the rustic charm that we liked, the Chinese antique like furniture in the lobby consciously peeled to give the aged look. The hotel room, as everyone wrote, was comfortable to a fault. I fell into deep comatose sleep in my four nights there, something I had not experienced for a long time.
I had my lunchs and dinners in the Chinese restaurant, savouring every delicious home cooked like dish. The restaurant chef obliged when we asked for local Nantou dishes that aren't in the menu.
Fault, if there's one, is the persistent mosquitos. The staff politely explained that it's one of the trade off for being in real nature. Since I live by the sea and bush in HK, I appreciated such logic. Nevertheless, they took pains to rid of the mossies. Still, I was bitten senseless when I sat on the marble slab by the jacuzzi, loss in the beauty of the moon reflection simmering by the lake. it was an ouch moment, but not negative enough to mar my otherwise good experience.
I will return, for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We spent one night in The Lalu and had the most relaxing stay. The complimentary drinks and peanuts given upon our arrival were what we needed after the long journey. Service was warm and welcoming although the amount of time spent on checking in can be shortened.
Rooms were clean and spacious.
However what really accounted for the SGD1000.00 Suite per night was the view from the rooms. We were lucky enough to get a view of the full moon as well.
Remember to take a dip in the infinity pool too. Bring along your swimming cap if you do not want to use theirs.

• Stayed June 2011
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We had a wonderful time at this hotel. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The room we had was superb with great views over the lake and wonderful orchids.
The restaurants may not have been the best in the world but they were certainly very good. Breakfast was also good.

The hot infinity pool is breathtaking, an experience not to be missed.

The lounge area was also very comfortable with friendly service.

The highlight of our stay at this hotel was sitting in the lounge after our evening meal and seing a full moon rise over the mountains and shine its light on the lake. Fantastic!! e

Room Tip: think all rooms have a lake view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I have done my fair share of traveling over the years, however, this is the first time I have ever written a post regarding my travels. To the people who complain, yes, the hotel may need a little refurbishing and yes, the sheets may be a little rough but the thoughtfulness and overall service and consideration extended by the staff is unparalleled.

My mother became ill shortly after we arrived. The hotel took her to the hospital (20 min. away). My mother was in the hospital for 2 days to which the hotel provided us with transportation at no cost and whenever necessary to return to the hospital. The hotel was gracious in comping my parents room and allowed us to stay an additional night that was not previously scheduled. The staff constantly asked if they could bring us anything at the hospital (i.e., food, pillows, blankets). When we took my mother to another hospital in Taipei the hotel offered to transport us and/or make arrangements for us in Taipei.

Peter Chang, one of the managers, would often accompany us to the hospital and often would stay with us without our asking at the hospital for however long we were there despite our offers to return via taxi.

We are very grateful to all of the staff who assisted us in our time of need and everyone at the hotel was sincere in their concern over our situation. Many thanks again to all the staff and especially Peter Chang and Mongo. We will definitely return in the future to enjoy the beautiful rooms and views.

• Stayed April 2011
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Everything here was good except for the food. We stay here for 2 nights so we tried both the western set menu and the Chinese menu. First night we arrive late at the hotel so the concierge was very considerate to have the dinner sent directly to our room. Anyway, the food, I've had better in 3 star hotels. The presentation was good, but that's pretty much all the credit that I will give them. I gave them so so cleanliness not because the room was dirty, but because they never bother to pick us the plates and left over food from the 1st night till our check out time. That is also why I did not give them a 5 on their service. If they have good food and spotless service I would have give them a 5 star without a doubt. Just so happen that I'm the type that likes to see how the hotel acts on it's own. I guess cleaning still need to be told. I would recommend 1 night stay should be enough unless you really like to be alone and don't mind not having anything to do.
On the bed sheets, having heard from some other reviewers that the sheets are rough, it's not true. They are soft and no where near a sand paper like sheets that some reviewers quoted. We also took the boat ride which cost 3,000 NT$. not worth the money, they don't take you around the island, but across and then back. I guess that's about it....wait, there's another point of critic. We use the pick up service from the Airport to the hotel (2:30-3 hours). I've been to other places with similar set up, but never once did we have to walk to the parking lot to get on the car( about 1 km). I was expecting them to drive the van over to pick us up instead of having us walk that far. I guess the mentality for service varies between places. Despite everything being good, I still find the whole experience lacking for a 6 star hotel that they are know for. 4 star is quite a good balance for their compliments already.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lalu Sun Moon Lake? Share your experiences!