“Great B&B” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 48 Reviews
San Francisco, California
“Great B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had a great three night stay here. The location is perfect, right in the middle of town. They staff was great, really nice and helpful. Our room was amazing. Nice big tub and a comfortable bed. They do a Chinese style breakfast and a Western breakfast. We opted for the Chinese, and the even specially prepared it vegetarian for us. The breakfast was really tasty, one of the better ones we had in Taiwan. Highly recommend staying here, also a good value for Sun Moon Lake.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I went there on Dec 3 and the entrance was actually squished between two shops in a small night market. It is actually quite easy to miss the entrance on the left side but once you step into the lobby, all your " shock " actually falls away. The luxurious minsu is very clean and the mini spa inside the bathroom is just stunning. If you want to get the best view for the spa and the best room, I recommend Level 7. We had a choice of Chinese or Western breakfast and we chose the western style. The breakfast was amazing and the mushrooms are a must try. The staff were very friendly and gave us tips on where to and where not to go. All of us agreed that in all the places we stayed, this was the best place and we all gave it a thumbs up!

Room Tip: Rooms on level 7 have the best view and room
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you are looking to get away from it all for a couple of days, but still have the luxury world, then this is the place.

Small, cosy, friendly owner and staff and everything is literally 1 minutes or less from the front door. 7-11 is just crossing one street and the jetty is less than a minute walk away from the front door. Food at the door step.

Rooms are very comfortable, cosy and have all the amenities one can ask for in a boutique hotel. I love the rooms, esp the privacy of having 2 rooms per floor.

Breakfast was cooked by the owner chef who put out a hearty breakfast equal to a 5 star standard. Enjoyable and the everyone was so friendly and really make you feel like you are their guest in their house rather than a hotel.

I long to go back even when it was only a week ago I was there.

Room Tip: Rooms are all quiet as the place and location is quiet.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This B&B is located in the middle of a small, very nice and fun night market. We absolutely enjoyed shopping around the area thou there are only two stretch of shops but the variety and quality is highly commendable. There is also a bicycle rental shop nearby where you can rent excellent new electric bicycles and enjoy the Sun Moon Lake environment whether uphill or downhill.

Thou there are no lake views from all rooms in this B&B establishments. But the rooms are big , clean and spaciously layout for my family of four. Everything was beyond my expectations and I will definitely come back again when I visit this area.

Last but not the least, we totally adores the breakfast that is located at the top floor on the 8th level. This is the heavenly place that you can enjoy the lake view as you savor your breakfast. The Chinese porridge option is the best that I Have tasted and I highly recommend it coz the side dishes are all freshly cooked and served by the owner. What a treat and we enjoyed ourselves so much

Cheers
WILLIAM

Stayed November 2014
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This luxurious and clean minsu surpassed my every expectations. I have stayed in many 5 stars hotels around the world and I must say I am impressed with this small but extremely comfy place. The owner is very friendly and dished out excellent Chinese and western breakfast. I travelled with my whole family, 16 of us in all. Everyone from my dad to my daughter love this place. It is conveniently located and there are very interesting shops around it. There is not much of a view from the rooms but seriously I do not care. The view from the 8th floor breakfast room is good enough for me. They provided good toiletries and even dental floss....omg. This minsu made our trip to sun lake moon very enjoyable. We will be back....

Room Tip: Quad room on the 3rd floor is the biggest.....
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

We traveled in a group of 6 with a baby and an elderly. We stayed in a double room and a family room for 4 and both rooms were well furnished with comfortable beds and hot shower. The rooms were clean with a partial view of the lake. The B&B was right on the main street with shops selling typical delicious taiwanese snacks, drinks, and handcrafts. The town is famous for owls, and you see products with owls figures everywhere.

The hotel is a very short walk to the lake, like 5 mins.

There are two choices of breakfast, western and chinese. Both are very filling and with good qualities.

The host was very friendly, they are a family with 2 small children, so they have creeps available.

I would come back again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

"702 景觀2人房" - NTD4,200 per night

- Limited number of rooms. Booked 2 months in advanced

- Don't try to contact them via the contact.html page - they never answer. Use their mini-forum feature instead.

- Make reservation and paY by Paypal by leaving message using theIR website's mini-forum.

- screwed up my schedule - my fault. Didnt realized until Jessica from the B&B emailed me when we didnt show up. Luckily room 702 was available on my arrival date. Otherwise we might have to go back to Taichung one day earlier and day trip to Sun Moon Lake instead. Expected to lose our 2-night deposit but instead they considered our 1-night paid. Thank you very much, Jessica and Skylight B&B.

- nice corner room but very small. No sofa, no desk, no chairs. But nicely renovated. The square bathtub was really soothing. The wife really loves it. Although the shower water pressure was extremely weak, it was nonetheless good as the area is very spacious and we can sit while scrubbing our toes, a huge step up to having to kneel to take a shower in the previous 2 nights we had to endure in the Cingjing minsu.

Also, the TV speaker is echoed to the bathroom while soaking in the bathtub, however we had a hard time finding the music channel. Instead we heard how terrorists find new ways to commit suicide bombing on airplanes (Discovery Channel). Odd indeed.

- there is also an English sign near the toilet that asks you not to throw "toilet paper and other things..." into the toilet just like all minsus and B&B in Taiwan. I think they meant to say "tampons". The Taiwanese Chinese words are "sanitized paper". In other minsus its written as "sanitized paper (napkin)"

- TV has no inputs of any kind. No movies from my smartphone output to TV tonight. Cable TV channels are the same for the whole of Taiwan - lousy, low quality channels. But at least its watchable with no snow.

- detected "R702" WiFi SSID but unable to connect. Gave up trying. Had no problem connecting to "8F" SSID from R702 but signal was extremely weak. So thats useless too. Gave up trying. Good thing I came prepared, connected to the portable Taiwan 3G WiFi router I rented in Hong Kong instead. Cannot survive rural Taiwan without it: GPS + Google Map.

- During checkin, you have to specify what time you will have breakfast (forcing you to predict what time you will wake up). You also have to specify Western or Chinese breakfast ahead of time.

Breakfast on 8th floor. 9th floor has 3 more outdoor tables but ashtrays all around. Must be smoking area.

Delicious Western breakfast: bacon, ham, sausage, scrambled eggs, stir fried mushrooms, hash browns and toasts. All cooked on demand. Freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee and finally a plate of various cut fruits. Best breakfast so far in Taiwan. But very weak coffee. Starbucks afterwards for sure. Unfortunately, cannot ask for seconds but enough for most appetites.

- you can clearly see the cable cars in the distance.

- the view isnt spectacular, sight of rooftop watertanks and adjacent buildings blocking a complete lake view. The smog created a haze which further ruined the view. And nothing to see at night - complete darkness.

- convenient, in the middle of town. Shops, restaurants and convenience stores surrounding it. However, be warned that shops and restaurants close early. Last order for most are around 8pm. And stay away from "President's fish"....overpriced, no fish taste and very very very boney!!

- 2 pillows per person and comfortable bed but 1 pillow too low, 2 pillows too high. Had to stack up using my clothes. Also, blanket too short for a 5'10 person, at least 3 inches too short. Had to wear socks and curl up like a prawn all night. Despite negativities, still had 10 hours of sleep.

- saw 3 tall Caucasian dudes and dudettes during breakfast. Immediately wife and I thought of the 5'7" blanket. ROFL!!

- what sounded like an ice cream truck circling around town was our wake up call at 8:20am. Later in Alishan we learned that the tune was from "Chiayi Regional Forestry Service" truck.

- too bad nothing much to do at SML. Otherwise we wouldnt mind staying another night in Room 702.

- Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Skylight Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!